Moments that made you sad

Theon is a despicable douchebag, but for the reason you describe above, and for the fact that he gets horribly tortured in ADWD, I do feel a twinge of sympathy for him. He's a coward and a traitor and a murderer but he didn't really deserve such a monstrous fate. I wonder if it'll only make him worse, or if his arc will be some sort of "redemption through suffering" kind of thing. Really curious to see where GRRM is taking his storyline...

The chapter is ACOK where Ayra marches with the Mountains men to Harrenhal. What happens to all the small folk throughout the chapter is just awful. Especially when the three year old gets his face smashed in with a mace, and then Raff kills the mother for grieving.

Such a depressing and sad chapter.

The parts that made me sad on first read (rather than "OMGWTFBBQ") were Dany having to euthanize Drogo, maester Cressen's prologue, and Aemon's death. Actually I got a little choked up at the latter, which was awkward since I was reading on a train... I ALWAYS get to the tear jerking moments when I'm reading books in public, it's embarassing, lol. And apparently old grandfatherly types dying always get me.

And then there are things that make me sad on reread because the shock factor is gone - like when you can see the walls beginning to close around Ned, or Brienne almost having the ultimate Big Damn Hero moment at the crossroads inn... and then Biter happens :/ I also agree that the aftermath of the Red Wedding is even more of a downer than the chapter itself, because everything happens so fast there.

Does anyone have any mercy for Cersei? I think that her character, while evil and malicious, is actually pitiable?

I definitely felt for her when it looked like Tommen was chocking at his wedding and she could only allow herself a short moment to break down and cry, and then when she had to sleep with Osney Kettleblack even if she didn't really want to, yet she kept telling herself she was doing it for Tommen. Idk, I know she inflicted a lot of misery on other characters - characters I love - but I think she's pretty miserable too.

It's the rereads that will kill you. The first time you have no clue, the second you want to say, "no," don't go, don't do it."

The utter sadness of Ned in a world he does not understand and the inevitability of his death.

Robb and Jon saying goodbye.

Ned and Jon saying goodbye.

Too many goodbyes and promises that we know will not be kept.

The more I reread the books, the sadder I get. I know George will pull it off and give us a satisfying ending but, please, just a tinge of joy too. I really want so many of them to live and I know the head count is going to go up.

I have to say the saddest part for me throughout these books has been when Catelyn found out that Rickon and Bran were dead. Even during my first reading I knew they weren't really dead, but seeing her reaction is painful. Also seeing Robb describe that he didn't trust Grey Wind because Summer and Shaggy Dog didn't protect Bran and Rickon is another one and always makes me want to somehow tell Robb that they aren't dead. And the fact that they both died thinking Bran and Rickon were dead is another horrible element to that story.

I would say Maester Luwin's death at the end of ACOK and the separation of Bran and Rickon. Luwin was a very peaceful character and a good mentor to Bran so it was sad to see him go, though at least he had a final word with Bran unlike a lot of major characters.

Also, I was kind of saddened by the Hound's last scene with Arya. His crying and goading Arya to kill her while also lamenting Sansa's marriage to the imp really got to me, as well as Arya just leaving him there and never looking back.

In Sansa's last chapter in ASOS while making the snow Winterfell she reminisces about her life back then. I remember that she recalls a happy moment involving a snowball fight between her and Arya, and it was sad to realize that she never made up with her sister and that life is likely far behind her and she may never see Arya again.

A similar one is where Arya is escaping from being captured by Meryn Trant and thinks back on a time when Robb and Jon played a prank on her, Sansa, and Bran in the crypts of Winterfell. Although this thought ultimately gives her the courage to move on, it was sad that she won't have any more moments like this with her family again.

- Arya getting so close to being reunited with her mother and for it to turn out so tragically. It was because of the culmination of her POVs where we saw what she experienced and what she went and just went it all seems to be coming together nicely, hopes get dashed again.

- The Red Wedding left me stunned. It was Cat's final moment of extreme grief that really got me.

- Bran/Robb moment where Robb breaks down.

- Davos washed up on the shore after the battle and thinking about all his lost sons. Whether to go on or not.

- Ned's death. Though I was more outraged and gobsmacked that it did happen.

- A lot of the shit that Brienne has to go through.

Many, many more.

Doing my first rearead of the series and just finished AGOT. Probably the most emotional, saddest part for me was when Robb's vassals decide to declare him the King in the North knowing what will eventually happen.

The Reed kids recounting the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree to Bran. Seriously, that made me tear up and I'm not a crying type of person. For some reason that story just made me sad about a happier time where lives full of promise were cut down by events.

The last meeting between Sandor and Sansa at Maegor's Keep, when he makes her sing for him.

Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers. The room was too dark for her to see him, but she could feel the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood. "Little bird," he said once more, his voice raw and harsh as steel on stone."

It's that whole scene that both of them come back to in memory later.

Also the scene in AFFC when Brienne is talking to the Elder Brother. He tells her to go home to her father

"I know he would tell you that he would rather have a living daughter than a shattered shield."

"A daughter." Brienne's eyes filled with tears. ....

"I am the only child the gods let him keep. The freakish one, not fit to be a son or daughter"

Then she pours out everything to the Elder Brother. She has no place in that society except on the edges, never really accepted. That was another moment when I just had to stop reading for a bit.

I barely like the Starks, but the scene where Robb holds Bran's hand after dinner, twisting their fingers together as he cries, was really touching to me for some reason.

Just recently re-read all 4 books, and this was the only moment where I got a little teary-eyed.

I do love the Starks though, despite my username.

When Arya remembers having to throw rocks at Nymeria to make her run away. I couldn't imagine throwing rocks at one of my pets, it would just tear me up.

There are plenty of sad moments in this series (and this thread has me a bit choked up) but this moment breaks my heart every time. And then my dog will invariably come over and lick my face, which just makes me cry harder!

There are plenty of sad moments in this series (and this thread has me a bit choked up) but this moment breaks my heart every time. And then my dog will invariably come over and lick my face, which just makes me cry harder!

That's probably my number one.

None of the big events were sad to me, Eddard's death, Red Wedding because as I was reading it I was like, "No, this isn't happening..." More shock than anything.

Number two would probably be Dany presumably selling Drogon.

And number three is when Bran and Rickon were "dead."

Besides all those moments, i can add the moment when Bran tell hes drem about he's father being on the cripts

and then they found Rickon there too. It's pretty sad.

I can tell tha the scene when Davos remenber of his sons and think if it's whorty to keep living also made me cry.

Archived