[BOOK SPOILERS] How many seasons?

RICKON4KING!!

In an interview, I think it was the TIME one, he said he hopes they do two seasons for Storm and 3 for Feast+Dance. I for one, can't imagine the tv show going on for 10 years. Most cable series last 6-7 years. I could see them doing between 6 to 8 seasons and that's the extreme. You can't ask the tv audience to wait 10 seasons to get a resolution. Things are going to have to be snipped out.

Honestly, I pro just seven seasons. I want this show to be a success, and I know that means trimming the books. I will always have the books, I'll treat the tv show like a companion to it.

I think by two seasons he actually means a long (16-18 episodes) single season broken up into two parts like the Sopranos Season 6 and some other examples. That would be about right for the material in that book. Two full seasons would actually be more than is needed to cover everything.

Same thing maybe for one or both of the Feast/Dance seasons. And probably the later ones as well. I'm pretty sure the final books will be long as well, if they don't actually end up becoming three.

I can't see book three working without it being twice as long of a season, or two smaller seasons. AFFC events can be fit into one season, but if the important stuff is mixed with ADWD then it can last for two.

Seven more seasons sounds pretty extreme but I can't really see it being done with less.

Of course it can be done with less!!! In a world where 1000 page novels are routinely adapted to 90 minute feature films, you bet it's possible. 10 hours for ASOS is absolutely doable. It will be difficult and require some creative adapting, but is eminently doable. Pretending it is impossible is just silly.

And I would agree that so far A Storm of Swords is the book that would call for two seasons. As it's really long and almost everything is relevant.

Not to say things aren't relevant in Feast it's just... I think Brienne's story could be trimmed quite a bit. Sansa's, Arya's, and Samwell's wouldn't take up that much time. Most of the meat will have to be with Jaime and Cersei, along with the Iron Islands. Dorn you could trim a little.

And I would agree that so far A Storm of Swords is the book that would call for two seasons. As it's really long and almost everything is relevant.

Not to say things aren't relevant in Feast it's just... I think Brienne's story could be trimmed quite a bit. Sansa's, Arya's, and Samwell's wouldn't take up that much time. Most of the meat will have to be with Jaime and Cersei, along with the Iron Islands. Dorn you could trim a little.

If Storm of Swords calls for two seasons, then Dance with Dragons definitely calls for two, in addition to a third to account for Feast for Crows material. That's completely unrealistic to me. Especially when you consider that Tudors, Rome, and Carnivale were planned for six seasons and were forced to settle for four, two, and two seasons (respectively) due to PRODUCTION COSTS. Ratings and reviews were great, but shows like Game of Thrones just hemorrhage money.

Minor events can be edited down to passing references, seasons can be extended to 13 episodes, and I'd even argue that parts of Storm of Swords could be tacked on to the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 4. Point being, they really should stick to one season per book if they have any hopes of completing the series.

And at some point people will just get tired of it all if they keep tacking on seasons with the excuse that they need to in order to cover the material. And the quality will drop eventually.

How about this analogy - would you be happy if GRRM extended the series with 3, 4, 5, or 6 more books on top of the 7 we expect? Why not if the events need it? No, if that happens that just means that GRRM has lost control over his own writing, and his ability to write a consistent narrative. The same goes for a TV show. ADDING MORE EPISODES/SEASONS WILL NOT GUARANTEE QUALITY, MORE LIKELY IT WILL HURT QUALITY. It will be an adaption failure. It is known.

Why do more and more shows move away from 26-20 episode seasons. Because they know it will hurt quality. More and more shows opt for shorter seasons, for a multitude of reasons. We aren't going to get more than 13 episodes at most per season. It just ain't gonna happen.

If Storm of Swords calls for two seasons, then Dance with Dragons definitely calls for two, in addition to a third to account for Feast for Crows material. That's completely unrealistic to me. Especially when you consider that Tudors, Rome, and Carnivale were planned for six seasons and were forced to settle for four, two, and two seasons (respectively) due to PRODUCTION COSTS. Ratings and reviews were great, but shows like Game of Thrones just hemorrhage money.

Minor events can be edited down to passing references, seasons can be extended to 13 episodes, and I'd even argue that parts of Storm of Swords could be tacked on to the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 4. Point being, they really should stick to one season per book if they have any hopes of completing the series.

Yeah I don't think Storm should be extended. If they want to do a 15-16 episode season, that's fantastic. As long we start the next book next season. Production costs are worrisome, but HBO is smarter and richer than they once were. I don't think the money will be a problem, but no way will they fund the show for a decade. It's not ER. George also seemed to want the extra seasons so he would be sure he'd have the books finished. But he's five years ahead at this point, if he can't finish it by then HBO might as well finish it themselves. You'd hope he wouldn't have signed on for the tv show unless he was sure the show wouldn't catch up to the books.

Many of the books generally adapted to film have very few central characters. They are not sprawling sagas. Many of them are also "literary" novels, with less plot than you can fit into a thimble. But ASoS is absolutely packed both with central characters and with plot. Ten episodes? It's doable. So is a 4 episode adaptation. But it will be very difficult, and it will necessarily mean cutting out good material, which is why no one really wants that to happen.

The producers have mentioned that splitting ASoS into two seasons would be a good approach. There's even a fine event to end the season on, half way through the book...

I think that'd work pretty well. I'd fold in the AFfC/ADwD events that take place chronologically before the end of ASoS into the second half of season 4, to fill out that material, and then come up with some sort of compressed time line to combine AFfC and ADwD and get them through to their end. So, in essence, ASoS is 1.5 seasons, a chunk of AFfC/ADwD is half a season, the rest of them another season. And then you're back on pace...

But I don't see how that's possible without 12-13 episodes each for season 3-5.

I think that'd work pretty well. I'd fold in the AFfC/ADwD events that take place chronologically before the end of ASoS into the second half of season 4, to fill out that material, and then come up with some sort of compressed time line to combine AFfC and ADwD and get them through to their end. So, in essence, ASoS is 1.5 seasons, a chunk of AFfC/ADwD is half a season, the rest of them another season. And then you're back on pace...

But I don't see how that's possible without 12-13 episodes each for season 3-5.

Kudos, Ran; That is the best option yet that anyone has come up with, I think you nailed it. I really hope someone from HBO reads that post of yours. You are right in that spreading SoS over 1.5 seasons then AFFC/DwD over another 1.5 seasons is doable. I felt like HBO might go 8 seasons with GoT but not 10, unless of course Winds and book seven are really long too. George, has stated he would like an extra season before 6 and 7 come out, and definitely yours is the better idea atm to accomplish this.

Archived