[BOOK SPOILERS] EP105 Discussion

Ran

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode. I think I am going to have to watch it again. Add my name to the list that more subtlety to the Renly/Loras angle would have been better Thought th Eyre scene was really good though. Exactly how I pictured it. The little kid did a really good job.

I quite liked this episode - a lot more than last week's, which I found sluggish. I am not really sure about the Renly characterisation though - I thought he was supposed to be a fairly martial kind of guy in spite of his dandy-ish nature. He just comes off as a bit of a prig in this episode. Hard to see him getting an army behind him.

Sad end to Jory. It all seemed rather sudden there!

I liked this episode, they mentioned stannis and hinted at the fact that renly will become one of the kings vying for the crown later which is good. Lysa and the eryie was awesome, I loved the crazyness. the hill tribes were cool, as was the fight at the end.

What I wish was that there was more of the tournment; though I must admit I did love the fight between ser gregor and the hound.

so that's what theon's dick looks like. the renly/loras scene was a little...odd. i liked pretty much everything else though. the ending was really cool and the shots of the eyrie were amazing.

JOORRRRYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! :( *cries* Not that the scene was at ALL what it was in the book, but still touching and had me holding my breath.

I'm loving Varys more, still love Petyr.

That Loras/Renly scene was absolutely over the top. I mean, half the people I know didn't even know they were gay (and together) from reading the books so I just heard a collective "WTF" from people that aren't die-hard fans but read the book. I am not a fan of the open portrayal (and Queer as Folk is my favorite show ever, lol).

The Cersei/Robert scene was pathetic; I am HATING how they are portraying Cersei, like awww, poor Cersei. Screw that.

Lysa should be fat but her dynamic with "Robin" is perfect.

LOVE Bronn.

They needed to do more with the tourney but whatever.

Overall, good episode, but nothing like the last one.

I have a theory that they're making her more sympathetic so that when it's revealed that her kids are Jaime's AND she killed her first born AND she has the rest of Robert's bastards put to death it really flips the switch on her.

That Loras/Renly scene was absolutely over the top. I mean, half the people I know didn't even know they were gay (and together) from reading the books so I just heard a collective "WTF" from people that aren't die-hard fans but read the book.

I had a good laugh about that during the episode. Thinking there are many readers who are thinking "That was not in the book!!"

I thought this one was, by far, the best episode. None of the others even come close for me.

So, Renly's definitely gay. They really left no doubt in this episode. I wonder if there's going to be other times down the road where the TV show confirms some things for us that are still up in the air in the books.

Is that a good idea? I'm not sure myself.

the scenes from the book were all excellent for me.

-loved the fight w/ the mountain clans

-the Sandor/ Gregor fight was very nice as well, although I would still say that a bigger crowd would add a lot.

-Lysa wasn't what I pictured, but I liked that scene and she came off right, also liked the sky cells and little Robert. I wonder what was involved to get approval for a kid that age to be breast feeding

- also liked Arya chasing cats and finding the dragon skulls; having us see Illyria and Varys though kills a little of the suspense we had in the book

the added scenes were a mixed bag in my opinion

-Varys/Littlefinger seemed a little overdone.... LF really getting set up as the mastermind it appears

-Robert/Cersei- scene was good, but really presenting Cersei differently than what we got in Book1

- Renly and Loras didn't work for me. I liked the innuendo in the book.

OK, this was the first episode where I was impressed. There was ACTION, instead of just characters talking to one another in static groups. Plenty of actual gore - the horse head, the fight on the way to the Eyrie, the fight at the end.

The shots of Tyrion in the skycell was the first time I actually got a feeling of "oh wow - they have managed to capture the sense of imagination" that I got when reading the books for the first time.

Lysa was a bit too thin and drawn - she is supposed to be bulging and sagging, as described when Sansa and Cat both see her (spearately) for the first time.

I thought that these scenes that were added (Varys and Littlefinger; Cersei and Robert) seemed to actually work in that they added a little bit of nuance to everything. Loras and Renly manscaping - not so much. Plus, Loras suggesting to Renly that he could be king - is that from the books? Maybe there was a throwaway comment by another character about it?

Bran and Luwin was a nice little scene, plus it gave the producers a chance to work in some more of the background.

Um. Not if you're a fan of, you know, what actually happened in the books.

Not exactly. I liked the scene, even though seeing the two of them discussing strategy was weird, but seeing them just mutually talk about how much they hate each other was good, I thought. Also, having Robert tell Cersei that it never would have worked and Lyanna was all he ever wanted, did a lot to help people understand the dynamics of their relationship, I think.

That is assuming Cersei is lying about losing their son. If they actually lost a son, and she didn't kill it, then I will hate that scene.

I was rather surprised about Lysa breastfeeding. I really didnt think they would show it. They did. This show doesn't eff around.

I also liked the added scenes, especially the Bran and Maester Lewin scene. Houses, banners, house mottos. We saw Theon the archer and a very bitter Bran.

Okay, the one secene that completely floored me was Littlefinger blackmailing Varys with the knowledge of Illyrio. Wow. You know, LF says in the book that he had Varys by the "balls".

A Redwyne likes boys?

Confirmation Cersei wasnt lying about her first boy. And I loved the line that Cersei speaks Tywin's words. Perhaps she has just been parroting what he writes her.

Loved it! So intense, I couldn't move, sat frozen, glued for a solid hour.

Wonder about child actors and what they can and can't have them doing... I mean, Lysa and Sweetrobin and that big swollen breast.. GAAAKKKK. :ack:

Yeah, I thought the same thing--eek!

Wonder about child actors and what they can and can't have them doing... I mean, Lysa and Sweetrobin and that big swollen breast.. GAAAKKKK. :ack:

Yeah, that can't have been real. It was way too creepy to just watch, imagine that poor child actor.

I had a good laugh about that during the episode. Thinking there are many readers who are thinking "That was not in the book!!"

Haha, seriously. I made a joke to my husband during that scene saying "Well, if THAT had been in the book, everyone would've gotten it.... " ;)

Archived