[BOOK SPOILERS] EP105 Discussion

Ran

And for heaven's sake, please stop insulting people just because they don't agree with you.

There's plenty of evidence in the book and GRRM himself said it was true. Disagree all you want but then you are only reading what you want to read and hearing what you want to hear. There's a very good reason that you never saw Loras and Renly have sex in the books and its' because they don't have a PoV in the books.

It's GRRM's story, not yours.

And for heaven's sake, please stop insulting people just because they don't agree with you.

Who in the world are you talking to? You keep popping into the thread yelling at.. somebody. Who? And for what, exactly? Strange..

Like Martin said in his interview, in this setting there wasn't even the idea of "homosexuality" so to have anyone actually say Loras or Renly was gay would take us out of the proper setting and throw us into a modern one. It is very evident in the books, without making it feel forced and applying a modern word.

For me, if it's not in the material, it's speculation. I don't care what the creators say post-script. (Does anyone really think George Lucas always had Luke and Leiah being sibs?) It's not stated in the books, thus it is a theory (to me). I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying it's not proven. They should probably just pop a link to some threads in to forums for this as it's going to blow up in here.

It IS in the books. Their covert relationship was well-known in King's Landing. Remember Jaime's comment to Loras when he and Brienne arrived in KL in SoS? Jaime said something to the effect of "Drop your weapon or I will stick it someplace even Renly couldn't find." Renly and Loras being gay lovers is canon.

I guess I didn't pick up on that after reading the books.

You're not alone. I didn't get that AT ALL the first time I read the books, and since I didn't want to feel like the only idiot, I asked everyone else I knew that I had read the books and only one out of a dozen got that on the first reading. Most of the rest of us were like, uh, what? When you re-read, you'll realize all sorts of things like when you're introduced to Renly, Petyr makes a quip about how he dresses better than half the ladies at court and Loras is described as "fabulous" later on, etc. etc. etc. I guess the rainbow cloaks was supposed to be the clincher but eh. Really didn't get it until the second read through then confirming it online, so don't feel too bad. :)

It IS in the books. Their covert relationship was well-known in King's Landing. Remember Jaime's comment to Loras when he and Brienne arrived in KL in SoS? Jaime said something to the effect of "Drop your weapon or I will stick it someplace even Renly couldn't find." Renly and Loras being gay lovers is canon.

But but but THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION! :tantrum:

There are numerous very specific references in the books to Renly and Loras having an intense, intimate relationship. The nature of their relationship is very clear and it's clear to the main characters in the book, as well.

so that's what theon's dick looks like. the renly/loras scene was a little...odd. i liked pretty much everything else though. the ending was really cool and the shots of the eyrie were amazing.

theons dick is an integral part of the series

The Red Viper on Ser Loras: "Renly's little rose?" Tyrion hiring Renly's cook because she was used to keeping secrets.

It was the worst kept secret in KL.

I'm sorry, but how the heck could anyone read the entire series and not realize they are gay and together?

One person on this thread already admitted to the error, and the same is true for me, my husband, and many others I have asked. Only one person I know personally got the gay thing on the first read through. Took me until reading the first book a second time to get it. *shrug* I guess many of us just aren't as skilled in critical reading as the rest of us!

I am talking to the two posts which are calling people who don't see them as gay as being ignorant.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate, it's not the forum for it, however saying other posters are stupid is not appropriate no matter how correct you think you are.

Renly and Loras being gay definitely IS canon.

But I, like many others, missed it my first read through, I don't think there's any need to be running around saying anyone who didn't know that fails in reading comprehension.

Yup, it's clear in the books that the guys are gay. GRRM handled it very well. HBO is more blatent but that's ok with me.

Over at WIC.net it's about to get ugly over this. So I came over here. Play nice folks!

Lysa's boob MUST be fake. Please??!!!?

GREAT episode. Loved it! Cerc & Robert scene was fantastic.

But I miss Jon...........

It seems that the things that differ from the book (especially added scenes) get the most discussion.

I just want to throw out that I really like how they have begun to develop the Tyrion/ Bronn relationship in the small amount of time allotted so far.

It starts w/ the looks we see from Bronn when Tyrion mentions how his father will be offering rewards...

the highlight of course is after the fight w/ the exchange:

-'now you just need a woman, nothing like a woman after a fight' then

-'I'm willing if she is'

later we get a little more levity between the 2 of them. they've clearly laid the ground work for Bronn to act as Tyrion's champion

So, in this episode we got some Theon cock and some gay love action. Diversity FTW!

I, too, had a total fangirl moment during the Mountain/Loras/Sandor scene.

I also shouted when The Hound stood up to The Mountain.

And when Bronn started kicking all kinds of mountain clan ass.

And when Jaime showed his skill with a blade.

Lots of action, great episode.

Archived