[BOOK SPOILERS] EP105 Discussion

Ran

One person on this thread already admitted to the error, and the same is true for me, my husband, and many others I have asked. Only one person I know personally got the gay thing on the first read through. Took me until reading the first book a second time to get it. *shrug* I guess many of us just aren't as skilled in critical reading as the rest of us!

Thanks for being honest. One thing I hate about forums is how everyone is so like "it's so teh obvee-us htat dere gayz." Give me a break. Something as blatant as a rainbow guard didn't register because it's not like GRRM had many modern day cultural references or symbols in the novels.

Who in the world are you talking to? You keep popping into the thread yelling at.. somebody. Who? And for what, exactly? Strange..

Please show where I am yelling. I am requesting people be civil so the forums stay civil. I don't see that as strange.

blah waah blah

Your list is full of so many pointless things that don't matter one bit if they were changed to better suit a non-reader audience or to save a few bucks. I can't even respond to each complaint individually because I find your nitpicking so irrelevant.

--

I liked this episode. Leaving out Jon and Daenerys was a good call.

- I did think the Theon scene was a bit unnecessary since we heard two Greyjoy expository speeches last week, plus Bran and Maester Luwin right beforehand. A fourth explanation of Theon in two episodes seems like overkill.

- I liked the Robert/Cersei scene.

- I liked the fight at the end. Jory's death was less emotional, but Jaime's final comment, "I want my brother back," was awesome and adds a nice shade of grey for him.

- Loras/Gregor/Hound was done well enough, but having a mumbling Littlefinger in a loud crowd explain the horse in heat won't help any confused non-readers. Still, horse decapitation was awesome!

- Varys is the bomb! "He started asking questions." One of my favorite end-chapter lines ever, and he nailed it.

- I need to watch the LF versus Varys conversation again before I decide how I feel about it.

More to come as I remember.

I finally came up with an analogy for how I feel about the changes to Cersei.

It's like if you sat down, all excited, to watch the Harry Potter movies in a theater for the first time... and it turned out that Voldemort is just really really sad because Dumbledore wasn't nice to him in school.

I am talking to the two posts which are calling people who don't see them as gay as being ignorant.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate, it's not the forum for it, however saying other posters are stupid is not appropriate no matter how correct you think you are.

Are you talking to me now? It'd be so much easier to follow your posts and your reasonings if you'd use the reply button, so we could see the text you're referring to. Just sayin'

Yeah.

Uh, Rainbow Guard. Duh.

Eh, as a friend said to me when I asked her if she knew the gay thing (which she said she did), "Why the hell would we assume rainbow in Medieval fantasy = gay? I just figured Renly = flamboyant, yay, rainbows!!! Flair." She got that they were gay but not at all from the rainbow cloak thing. I remember reading about that the first time and literally thinking "What an odd choice for GRRM to make with the gay implications of rainbow in our society!" Haha, clearly I am clueless (it took me a second reading to get the gay thing. I'm not good with subtlety...or anything besides being directly told things, apparently, LOL.

Ok lot of scenes not in the book, but they got to give some of the actors more lines so I think it's ok

Not sure why this whole Loras/Renly question about them being gay came up, it was clear in the books even though the creepy shaving scene was not in there.

They got the Eyrie down nicely :) and Bronn rocks!

I think Loras was introduced heavy so Highgarden makes sense later.

When are we going to see Randyl Tarly and Tywin?!

The Hound & the Mountain scene was good but I still don't think they show their heights very well. I had to look hard to see that the Mtn is really tall.

Ned was hurt in a different way from the books but this works just as well. I imagine that fights on horseback would be a nightmare to film.

The dragon skulls were kinda hard to see - yes?

Did not understand one single word of Mord's....anyone?

Can I just say how happy I am they kept Tyrion's line "I'm willing if she is." Tyrion wasn't the shining character in this episode like he has been in the past, there was so much more going on, but he still was fantastic.

My only complaint about this episode is that Time-Warner Cable fucked up and made us watch 3 minutes of some movie with Queen Latifah instead of seeing Sandor and Gregor at the tournament. Bah!

Good thing we have on-demand.

Are you talking to me now? It'd be so much easier to follow your posts and your reasonings if you'd use the reply button, so we could see the text you're referring to. Just sayin'

I will try to do so, it was just a general request thrown out, I looked back when you asked and saw which two. Neither was you, I think.

Thanks for being honest. One thing I hate about forums is how everyone is so like "it's so teh obvee-us htat dere gayz." Give me a break. Something as blatant as a rainbow guard didn't register because it's not like GRRM had many modern day cultural references or symbols in the novels.

[shrug] it IS obvious. It's not just the rainbow guard, there are many references and it's very clear. It's a key subplot and dynamic between 2 fairly major characters.

- I liked the Hound's very, very subtle nod of appreciation to the crowd as they cheered him. Very good acting for the character.

- Renly's actor looks fine to me, but why is he being written as such a pussy? Scared of blood, never fought, loathe to go hunting, complaining about getting picked on by his brothers. I guess it gives a better reason for him to declare as king though, having your lover convince you that you deserve it. His claims in the novel never really held any weight.

I had a good laugh about that during the episode. Thinking there are many readers who are thinking "That was not in the book!!"

I thought this one was, by far, the best episode. None of the others even come close for me.

Totally with you. Excellent episode.

Great episode. I loved the added scenes between Cersei/Robert and Varys/LF. If I had to nitpick about anything it would be about Sandor after he defends Loras from his brother. Whenever Sandor tells Loras that he is not a ser I expected him to be in a angry mood yet he's kind of emotionless. The few lines that Sandor has had so far seem the same way. I've always pictured him as this guy who is always pissed off and snarling. But other than that great episode. Can't wait to next week.

I am talking to the two posts which are calling people who don't see them as gay as being ignorant.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate, it's not the forum for it, however saying other posters are stupid is not appropriate no matter how correct you think you are.

Pretty sure putting words into people's mouths is not very appropriate myself. I never called anyone stupid or ignorant, I just feel it's fairly obvious by the 4th book. I can see people not seeing it in books 1 and 2 very easily, but Jaime threatening to stick a sword in places even Renly didn't find was pretty obvious to me, as well as their long discussion as to why Loras killed the Rainbow Guard when Jaime is trying to clear Brienne's good name. But these are thousand page books, so if folks are reading fast or missing the little things it can be easily done I suppose.

But you have people complaining about how the TV show is doing things because they completely missed something in the books, which is pretty crazy :).

Archived