How did Drogo melt gold?

Thefalconemperor

No, I mean, for real. Do you guys have idea in how long it took for mankind to sucessfully melt and work with gold? Not an easy task by any means. Even nowadays you need at least to get an industrial torch to successfully manage it.

And the mighty khal took a stewing pot out of the fire, threw a supposdly pure gold medallion at it and managed to melt the thing to give Viserys an examplary death for going mad at the murder of his entire family.

Has Martin ever been questioned about it? Or you should be careful not to drop your gold ring in the stew, in Westeros?

No, I mean, for real. Do you guys have idea in how long it took for mankind to sucessfully melt and work with gold? Not an easy task by any means. Even nowadays you need at least to get an industrial torch to successfully manage it.

And the mighty khal took a stewing pot out of the fire, threw a supposdly pure gold medallion at it and managed to melt the thing to give Viserys an examplary death for going mad at the murder of his entire family.

Has Martin ever been questioned about it? Or you should be careful not to drop your gold ring in the stew, in Westeros?

Humans have been working gold for thousands of years. The oldest gold jewellery dates back to at least 4000 BCE, that's around the time people started creating permanent settlements, farming and domesticating animals.

Assuming human civilisation developed along a trajectory roughly equivalent to ours, there's no reason why a society like the Dothraki couldn't have learn to smelt gold - or if nothing else learn it from a more settled society e.g. Free Cities, Slaver's Bay, Valyria.

But if you're concerned about the chemistry/physics of it, well, the get-out clause would be 'magic'. Works for the seasons and genetics apparently...

He does put the pot back on the fire, but yeah, those are some mighty hot cooking fires the Dothraki use. Or maybe his "gold" medallions really were some sort of cheap alloy--after all, he doesn't seem like a particularly savvy businessman.

The melting point of gold is pretty high, but to get it to the point of being malleable it would take significantly less heat. I can't recall what it said in the book but I don't think it was actually melted to the point of being liquid.

Or you know it could just be that GRRM isn't a chemist.

I'm not a chemist, but I am a potter, and I've melted gold in my kiln--IIRC, the melting point is around 1900 degrees. I guess my point being that if they have pottery in GRRM's world (and obviously, they do), then they can have melted gold, since the firing temp is nearly exactly the same.

The melting point of gold is pretty high, but to get it to the point of being malleable it would take significantly less heat. I can't recall what it said in the book but I don't think it was actually melted to the point of being liquid.

Yeah, I think the description in the book is that the medallions were starting to lose their shape and become runny. I have no idea if this is any more possible chemically, but Viserys wasn't crowned with liquid gold.

Or maybe his "gold" medallions really were some sort of cheap alloy--after all, he doesn't seem like a particularly savvy businessman.

Aww, poor Viserys. Can't even get killed with real gold, Drogo uses the cheap knockoff on him!

Yeah, I think the description in the book is that the medallions were starting to lose their shape and become runny. I have no idea if this is any more possible chemically, but Viserys wasn't crowned with liquid gold.

I can't say I know, gold is a pretty soft metal so it could start to do that at lower temperatures but that sounds like it is pretty close to the melting point. Unfortunately there wasn't much gold in my highschool metal shop or I would know.

Supposedly, the Roman generals Manius Aquillius and Marcus Licinius Crassus were killed by having molten gold poured down their throats. Aquillius by Mithridates of Pontus in 88BC and Crassus by the Parthians in 53.

A large, hot fire would be more than enough to melt gold to the point that it could start to melt, especially is it wasn't pure gold. It is possible that it is a different alloy of gold, which can have a considerably lower melting point.

Supposedly, the Roman generals Manius Aquillius and Marcus Licinius Crassus were killed by having molten gold poured down their throats. Aquillius by Mithridates of Pontus in 88BC and Crassus by the Parthians in 53.

As I mentioned, any society that can make pottery can melt gold. I've melted it myself in my pottery kiln. Gold's melting point is 1934 F., the same exact 'curing' temperature of earthenware clay becoming ceramic. Ancient Rome had kilns, as did China, Egypt, Babylon, etc. There's lots of pottery all over GRRM's world, so presumably they have kilns, too. Though I don't specifically know that about the Dothraki, of course.

The melting point of gold

1337.33 K, 1064.18 °C, 1947.52 °F.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

Typical temperatures of fires and flames

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire

I'd say if a candle can almost melt gold, then a pot placed on a campfire could easily melt it.

No, I mean, for real. Do you guys have idea in how long it took for mankind to sucessfully melt and work with gold?

Gold is easy-mode. Even the Incas and Aztecs, who otherwise were using Stone-Age based tools, had awesome gold-working ability. 2k Fahrenheit is nothing.

• 1 month later...

The question is not whether the ancients had the tech to create motlen gold. Of course they did. The question is whether the portrait of Viserys' death, in aGoT makes sense. I'm no expert, but it seems to me it does not.

You cannot melt gold by putting it in an ordinary stew pot over an ordinary cooking fire. Or, as Gandalf told Frodo, "Your small fire, of course, would not melt even ordinary gold."

If you could get fire and the iron pot on it hot enough, the iron pot would be glowing bright yellow. The sides and handle of the pot might be a little cooler, but I strongly suspect that if you tried to grab the handle of the pot with horsehair mittens, your mittens would burst instantly into flame.

Of course, maybe Drogo's "gold" medallion was merely made of painted lead. Poor dumb barbarian.

You cannot melt gold by putting it in an ordinary stew pot over an ordinary cooking fire. Or, as Gandalf told Frodo, "Your small fire, of course, would not melt even ordinary gold."

Well, Balon Greyjoy had no trouble melting Theon's gold necklace in a similar fire. Iron melts at 1536 C, gold at 1063. However, gold is a very soft metal, so it will become malleable enough to "crown" drogo, long before iron will even start to glow.

If it bugs you that much you're free to risk your own gold to prove it wrong.

Otherwise just accept it's closer to the line of realism than many other things in the book and that it makes a great dramatic moment as written.

I am willing to buy that Drogo melted (or semi-melted) gold (or some sort of other metal) over a cookfire. However, how long would such a thing take? I don't recall exactly how long it took from the moment Drogo tossed his belt into the pot to the moment he dumped the pot on Viserys's head, but it seemed pretty quick to me. Even if the pot was extraordinarily hot, the metal still would have needed time to heat and become semi-liquid. It just seemed to quick to me. Still I am willing to buy it, just because it makes and awesome, gruesome death!

Archived