How Would You Rate Episode 105?

Ran

292 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

So, what'd you think?

I wish they would have completed Little fingers quote about whorehouses being a better investment than ships "Whores never sink" with the rest "and when they are boarded by pirates the pirates pay in gold like everyone else" Wouldn't have taken more time much more humorous. Is this an attempt to give a Character we all know is slimy no apparent sense of humor? The books were extremely funny at times. A little comic relief would not be amiss. Also, Loras and Renly did I completely miss this in the books. Though Loras was extremely devoted to Renly my gaydar never went off. Opinions anyone?

No, that Loras/Renly scene was never in the books.

They've been doing a good job with a lot of these 'could have happened' scenes that serve to explain a lot in a quicker form than how it went in the books.

Renly in the books did not seem to be half of the wuss the series is making him out to be. I always pictured him as being a lot manlier than the boyish Loras. There was no indication he was squeemish over blood for one. He seemed like he was supposed to have been a competent warrior in his own right (not elite by any means, but no joke).

The series also made it very clear it was Varys and Illyrio down in the basement that Arya overheard. The books seemed to me to suggest that was who is was, but left it a little ambiguous iirc. I guess I can consider that confirmed when next I do a re read.

This episode finally did some justice to what a giant of a beast Gregor is. You can see that Sandor was a big guy but he looked miniscule next to his brother.

Also, Loras and Renly did I completely miss this in the books. Though Loras was extremely devoted to Renly my gaydar never went off. Opinions anyone?

Re: Renly and Loras. Yes, it is in the books that they are gay lovers. GRRM has separately confirmed it. (It's somewhere in the So Spake Martin database.) That said, lots of people have missed the different cues as to the nature of their relationship -- you are not the only one. :)

I'm struggling between an 8 and a 9. Voted 8 but I will probably replace it with a 9 later.

I was worried about "Ned Stark: Chuck Norris" but the final sequence worked really well for me, I was holding my breath during the fight and it was just electric. Loved Jaime's expression of being torn between surprise that he wasn't beating Ned and irritation that the guardsman interfered.

The transition to the Eyrie was abrupt, but lord it's gorgeous. Did not like the external view of the mountain as it just looked fake but after that everything else about the scene was stunning. Lysa and the breast-feeding of Sweetrobin were appropriately creepy, I practically LOL'd at the expressions on the faces of Tyrion, Catelyn et all as they watched her. GROSS!

After being thoroughly dissapointed in last week, I am ecstatic over this one. It seemed to convey a lot of the story without all the crazy shifts from place to place. (Which reads well, but hasn't translated to the shows for me) For the first time in the series it feels like we are getting to meat and potato's of the story.

Now if we could convince HBO to go with 90 minutes.......

I gave this show an 8. The series so far has been only about a 6 in MY ratings, but I feel like we are about to be getting into the really good stuff from here on out.

I give it a 9. The fight between Jamie and Ned was great I was on the edge of my seat through it. Its funny I thought the same thing when I saw Jaimie's expression. I actually enjoyed the "add on" scenes especially the Littlefinger/Vary's scene. Lysa breast feeding was super creepy and sets her up nicely as the nutjob she is. I was excited to see one of my favorites in Bronn, but we didn't get a Blackfish sighting. I'm not 100 percent sure but I thought he was introduced prior to the ascent to the eyrie was he not?

I guess I am in the minority. I didn't care for this episode very much. I thought the scene with Robert and Cersei was kind of worthless and "filler." I don't see why they have introduced this lost baby story and if anything, it makes her more sympathetic which just seems so out of character from the books. Maybe it is a red herring so that she will not be suspected in Robert's death but I still don't like it.

I wish they had spent the time on Sansa to show more of her inner conflicts. They need to show her still believing in a little bit of a fairy tale so that when she leaks the escape plans it is more heartbreaking for us.

I guess they needed the Loras/Renly scene to show him as a viable king candidate but, once again, I think the time could have been better spent at the Eyrie or on Sansa.

Oh well, as long as the ratings are good so that we can get 5 more seasons, I will be happy.

An hour never goes by so quickly as it does during this show! Gave it an 8. As always, Tyrion delivers his lines flawlessly. And whoa, was not expecting full frontal on Theon! Also like that Bronn already comes off as a very fluid and savvy fighter. Sean Bean still annoys me.

Edited by nim

I'm wavering between six and seven. There's a lot more sexposition shoehorned in. Jaime won my partner over a little with his reaction to the interference. The action scenes, even the WTF faces at the Eyrie, tell the story more effectively so far.

An excelent episode to be sure, I'd say a 9, mostly because I feel that they made a mistake by not drawing the tornoment out, and using it to introduce characters who, while not of much importance in this book/seasons, are considerably more important in the coming books/seasons.

I give it a 9. The fight between Jamie and Ned was great I was on the edge of my seat through it. Its funny I thought the same thing when I saw Jaimie's expression. I actually enjoyed the "add on" scenes especially the Littlefinger/Vary's scene. Lysa breast feeding was super creepy and sets her up nicely as the nutjob she is. I was excited to see one of my favorites in Bronn, but we didn't get a Blackfish sighting. I'm not 100 percent sure but I thought he was introduced prior to the ascent to the eyrie was he not?

He was one of the people to greet Catelyn. But the Blackfish has not been cast and will not be in season 1.

First 10 of the season. Fantastic. The Robert/Cersei scene was a bit odd as a reader, but otherwise no complaints.

I absolutely loved that scene! First of all, it really humanizes both of them, while allowing that they both have faults. Secondly, it gives you a good sense of just how long they've been enduring one another and how things could have grown so cold between them. Thirdly, it spells out exactly why the Dothraki invading would be such a dangerous scenario, something I actually wondered about previously.

Great episode, best yet. I give it a solid 9.

Slightly off-topic question: why is Dany's child considered so dangerous when there's already an existing, more direct, Targaryen heir in Viserys? Is it because they all know Veserys is so weak he wouldn't be a serious threat? I never understood that from the books and I never got it from the tv series either.

A "9" from me. Best episode yet.

The Jaime/Ned fight - although different from the book - was very well done. As was the Cersei/Robert scene.

Only nitpick? The Eyrie location looked a bit too extreme. For some reason I never pictured it that way - and never on top of such an extreme mountain top. Something half the height would have looked more realistic. But the effects work was great - Wonderful sky cells! :bowdown:

EDIT: I forgot to mention the great effects show as Arya comes out of the sewers(?) into the Blackwater docks. Gives a nice look at the keep, and that location should become very important at the end of season 2. :)

Edited by Hyper

Slightly off-topic question: why is Dany's child considered so dangerous when there's already an existing, more direct, Targaryen heir in Viserys? Is it because they all know Veserys is so weak he wouldn't be a serious threat? I never understood that from the books and I never got it from the tv series either.

I guess because it's a (possible) male heir for Viserys. That seems important in determining whether to support a king. Also, if Viserys is killed during the invasion then the Targaryen sympathisers can still rally around the new kid as a candidate for the throne.