How Would You Rate Episode 105?

Ran

292 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I guess I respect your passion, but your list seems awfully nit-picky. I can't find it in me to care about such small things when the episodes are so great overall.

I really have to agree with you man. Its ridicules how some people want everything to be a certain way but alas thats always the case when something comes out based on the book. People are always wanting it to have this or that in it and when it doesn't they get upset or feel betrayed.

This series rocks and although I am not as pleased with the actor that plays the Hound so far I am more than happy with the guy that plays Gregor. As far as the thing between Loras and Renly well they had to be more blunt than the books when it came to this. Viewers have a hard time picking up subtle hints it seems.

Edited by Elrick

This was the best episode till now, I think. There were things I didn't like. Renly + Loras, showing it so soon. It's not that I'm homofobic, I'm actually gay. The thing is that there are secrets that should be kept till later. I loved Littlefinger's conversation with Varys, but there was a small thing in it I didn't like. Littlefinger knowing about the meeting between Varys and Illyrio. I mean, ok, Littlefinger is very well informed. But Varys is Varys, he would never let Littlefinger know about his meeting with Illyrio. Robert and Cersei seemed too friendly, but I liked it. Last one, I loved the scene with Ned and the Kingslayer, but I would put it like in the books, raining. It would have a greatest impact.

This was the best episode till now, I think. There were things I didn't like. Renly + Loras, showing it so soon. It's not that I'm homofobic, I'm actually gay. The thing is that there are secrets that should be kept till later. I loved Littlefinger's conversation with Varys, but there was a small thing in it I didn't like. Littlefinger knowing about the meeting between Varys and Illyrio. I mean, ok, Littlefinger is very well informed. But Varys is Varys, he would never let Littlefinger know about his meeting with Illyrio. Robert and Cersei seemed too friendly, but I liked it. Last one, I loved the scene with Ned and the Kingslayer, but I would put it like in the books, raining. It would have a greatest impact.

Shooting in rain is expensive and many times more complicated, especially if you have to make it artificially. That decision was almost certainly budgetary.

Both Robert and Cersei are sufficiently politicians that they can put on their friendly public faces. That scene starts out with them doing exactly that. Only as it progresses do we get a bit of truth and the friendliness fades. I thought it was well done.

I agree with your objection about LF knowing about Varys' visitor IF he knows the whole story. LF only says that Varys had a foreign visitor, leaving it open whether or not he knew who it was or why they were meeting. If all LF knows is "Varys met with a fat foreigner", then I am fine with it AND it explains why LF mentioned it - he is probing for more info, or at least a reaction (which he gets). But if LF knew "Varys met with Illyrio Mopatis, Magister of Pentos and didn't mention it to the King or Small Council", then I'd agree. But I really think it is the former.

I gave the episode an 8. Really loved everything about it but am saving my 9's and 10's for future episodes. I find all the nitpicking to be hilarious. This is an adaptation not adapted by YOU, so of course their will be some things that are different from the way you imagined them. Sounds like we have quite a few TV writers and directors on this board (oh thats right you are not TV writers or directors). And please stop saying the writers of this series are lazy. What an insult to the hard work that many people have put into this series. WRITE YOUR OWN ADAPTATION!!!!!

On first view I was thinking 6.5-7, but after second viewing I'm giving it an 8. Fortunately I waited until my second viewing before voting in this thread.

My only real gripe is Renly's characteristation, and it's not really related to changes from the book per se. Because I'm looking at his characterisation from the point of view of someone who doesn't know the books and whether such a person will really think of Renly as worthy of the crown. So far it's a negative (nothing to do with the gay thing either, that was fine).

I guess I respect your passion, but your list seems awfully nit-picky. I can't find it in me to care about such small things when the episodes are so great overall.

Oh, admittedly, most of those things are nitpicky, and most, in the end, didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the episode, I did love it. But as they always say it's the details that make the difference between good and great, or between functional and "art", or however you want to put it. Things like the lighting and atmosphere of a scene (for example) are really important for pushing something into that sublime level where it soars, captures your imagination, and leaves a lasting impact. Doesn't mean it doesn't still work without it, but maybe it doesn't quite reach that extra level that makes it memorable and sets it apart from everything else. In the same way that Robert Jordan's books are very good, but (in my case anyway) leave a little something wanting that is found when reading Martin.

Most of my thoughts on it have been pretty well covered by everyone already so I won't restate them here. I have found it surprising though tha most of the reaction was over the gay scene, rather than on the scene of Sweet Robin being suckled by his mother.

I was trying to spot the special effects in that scene but couldn't. It really looks like a 6-7 year old kid is sucking on a middle aged woman's tit.

Edited by Popgun

The part between Cersei and Robert was really very good. Also Littlefingers and Varys ''duel'' was nice. I really enjoy scenes that are not in the books, but show that much story and life behind them.

It's true that the implied things (of the book) are really rather obvious in the series.

Personally Renly is too much of a wuss. I have no problem with the explicity of the scene, actually I quite expected such a scene after all the nudity, and sex from all the other characters. But he is portrayed as such a whiny wimp, that I really have problems to see him as a true contester for the throne (as it even seems it isn't his idea, but Loras').

fantastic episode. Would have rated it a 10 except for D&D turning Renly into a character on Will and Grace.

Can i confess the best part of watching this episode was the closing credits? Because that was when I realized the season is ONLY half over and there's SO MUCH AWESOME still to come. If this episode was that good, how crazy awesome is episode 8 or 9 or 10 going to be? Yeek!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Edited by sadfascist

It finally aired on my satellite provider based in Bahrain. Greyjoy's toys were edited out on this airing. The bottom of the screen was blacked out. Had I not watched it on the internet first, I wouldn't have known there was male frontal nudity in this episode. They did run the Renly/Loras scene in full, though. That was the scene I didn't expect to see. Sweetrobin breastfeeding was there too and even creepier on a big screen compared to the computer screen.

It's hard for me to judge this on such universal terms.

As a stand-alone TV show episode, it was probably an 8 or 9.

As an adaptation of the books, squarely a 5.

I landed somewhere in between, making my overall a 6.

Obviously, a 6 is rather closer to 5 than 9. I think this is attributable to the fact that there were so many detail changes from the books (Eyrie, Ned fighting, Renly gets a hummer, etc.) that I didn't think improved the source material...only cheapened it somehow. I'm still irked by the fact that HBO felt the need to beat us over the head with Renly & Loras' relationship.

That smacks of sensationalism & not particularly good story-telling. ZOMG, THEY'RE HAVING GAY ORAL SEX!!! It's so EDGY!!! The peeps will love it!!! The same could be said of Jory's demise. ZOMG, Sean Bean is a big star, we gotta get him fighting!!! The peeps will love it!!!

Ugh...

Put me in the "it was good, but not nearly as good as it should have been" bucket, please.

I give it an 8.

The fight between Varys and Littlefinger was amazing. Especially the turnaround line at the end.

I give high marks to Robert and Cersei's last talk.

Pretty much everything GREGOR did, and the Hound's last move...

He ducked the sword and turned it into an almost courtly bow. Awesome.

Oh and alas poor Mr. "Stabbed in the Eye" and his face twitching.

Gooood evening.

My newb self has returned to gush about the latest episode.

I really loved it, it wasn't my favorite so far, but still top notch.

Favorite Stuffs

Tyrion going all warrior with the shield.

The Sky Cell

Arya... "I was chasing a cat." I seriously, lol'd

Creeped Me Out Stuffs

Sweet Robin and Mummy. That is all.

Sad Face Stuffs

My favorite characters are Dany and Jon. So I REALLY missed them this week. I understand why others didn't but their stories are what really hooked me in the first place. That's not to say that I'm not loving all the action in King's Landing (or the action in Greyjoy's bedroom... I am a straight woman thank you very much) But, I just missed seeing them this week. Looking forward ot their return soon.

I don't really have any new comments on the Loras/Renly scene expect that in episode 1 Tyrion enjoyed much of the same and THAT scene wasn't explicit in the books either. I thought it was well done, two people who can't be themselves in public being themselves with each other. Whether or not they have true feelings for one another I cannot say. But in that moment, it was almost sweet.