How Would You Rate Episode 105?

Ran

292 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

HBO On Demand has a short video called Game of Thrones: Anatomy of a Scene: Tournament that is worth checking out if you have On Demand. (I can't find it anywhere online so far.) Among other things, it includes a clip that didn't make it into the episode of Arya and Sansa discussing sigils, as well as short clips from Conan Stevens and Rory McCann!

I absolutely loved that scene! First of all, it really humanizes both of them, while allowing that they both have faults. Secondly, it gives you a good sense of just how long they've been enduring one another and how things could have grown so cold between them. Thirdly, it spells out exactly why the Dothraki invading would be such a dangerous scenario, something I actually wondered about previously.

Great episode, best yet. I give it a solid 9.

Slightly off-topic question: why is Dany's child considered so dangerous when there's already an existing, more direct, Targaryen heir in Viserys? Is it because they all know Veserys is so weak he wouldn't be a serious threat? I never understood that from the books and I never got it from the tv series either.

It's an evidence that House Targaryen continues to exist and will have offspring, and it's as much an insult to Robert (from his fanatic Targaryen-hate stand mostly) as it is a threat to the realm. Why is it a threat to the realm? I guess that a son that has a right to the lands of Westeros will serve as a better catalyst to Khal Drogo rather than "Oh my creepy megalomaniac brother-in-law wants me to go overseas to conquer some lands where Mountains decapitate horses (shivers)"

It's an evidence that House Targaryen continues to exist and will have offspring, and it's as much an insult to Robert (from his fanatic Targaryen-hate stand mostly) as it is a threat to the realm. Why is it a threat to the realm? I guess that a son that has a right to the lands of Westeros will serve as a better catalyst to Khal Drogo rather than "Oh my creepy megalomaniac brother-in-law wants me to go overseas to conquer some lands where Mountains decapitate horses (shivers)"

As a newb and a reader who has yet to finish book one (Don't judge, I'm taking my time absorbing everything!) I know I have no business sporting an opinion, but I would like to add that I think it was such a big threat not just because it's another Targaryen/ they continue to have children and exists it's the fact that it's a Targaryen AND a Dothroki. This child techincally has a right to the Iron throne but it also will have a right to the horde. A child of both worlds if you will.

I can see why that would scare the beejeezus out of Robert. (if that's possible :P )

I gave this ep an 8. Was very tempted to give it a nine, though.

Favorite scenes: Arya chasing the cat and coming across the dragon skulls. Unfortunately, it was much shorter than how the scene was portrayed in the book, and therefore lost much of its suspense. But I understand the time constraits.

Lysa. Thought the actress nailed it. Perfectly creepy and disturbed, without any over-the-top acting. And I liked the horrified, sad look on Catelyn's face. Like, "Oh dear. Tyrion wasn't lying when he spoke about my sister..."

The new Cersei and Robert scene. Good at humanizing them, which I think is especially important for the show. TV viewers aren't able to read the different POVs and glimpse all the different shades of gray which make the characters so brilliantly three-dimensional.

Ned and Robert's confrontation.

Little Finger and Varys.

Hmm... I really should have gone with the nine...

Edited by gypsyscarlett

What do people think of Maisie Williams as Arya? She's one of my favorite characters and I think it was a perfect cast.

I'm in awe. Seriously. The people in charge of casting deserve a huge round of applause.

Arya is one of my favorite characters in the book, and I really worried about how she'd be cast. There are very few, really talented child actors. But Maisie totally captures Arya's spirit, and definitely has shown she has the acting chops to deal with the things that come later.

What do people think of Maisie Williams as Arya? She's one of my favorite characters and I think it was a perfect cast.

Believe it or not, there is a thread for that...

As well, there is a search feature on the main page, powered by google, which is very effective.

I really liked this episode, and if I had any complaints, they would be that I didn't need quite the face-slapping exclamation of Renly-Loras, but I like subtlety.

AND

Jaime is an excellent warrior, to be sure, but Jory dropped like a no-name guard, for being Rodrik's son nephew and captain of the Winterfell Guards, I expected a little more fight out of him. Jaime is good, but not THAT good.

I really liked the scene between Robert and Cersei. EXCEPT:

As I read the books, I saw Robert as more obsessed with the Targaryens rather than fearing the Dothrakis. Robert's Targaryen obsession was of course a subversion of his fantasy of Lyanna, and the chain of events that lead to war against the Targaryens. I'm of the opinion that Robert's war, like the War of the 5 King's, was based on rash decisions made with inaccurate information (I think Robert was wrong, that Lyanna went with Raegar of her own free will) and that most players used the war for their own ends. It's not just a detail - it's a theme.

• 8 months later...

I absolutely loved this episode! The Cersei/Robert scene was one of my favorite show addtions. It showed another depth to them and it was acted wonderfully. I loved the confrontation in the end between Jaime and Ned and I especially loved that Jaime refused to fight and kill Ned because one of his men unfairly wounded him. It was great to see him genuinely pissed off because he couldn't have a good, fair fight with Ned.

Oh, and Theon released his kraken in this episode. I was shoicked by the full frontal male nudity, but kudos to him for doing it. If they are going to show naked women, they might as well show naked men. :P