[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 105 discussion

I generally liked the Varys - Littlefinger scene. A TV show is different than the book, and I don't mind seeing some extra scenes that were not in the books. The TV shows miss the POV's of the lead characters and this compensates for it I guess.

I've read somewhere that the producers of GOT know some of the endings of the overall Asoiaf-series. I wonder how this affects some of the decisions they make in adding/deleting scenes.

My suspicion:

I strongly suspect we will see a clash between Littlefinger and Varys later on in the serie. At the very least they will play a huge role beyond a FfC.

JAIME POV: "Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all."

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to remember exactly who Jaime said was stronger than him. Of course, strength isn't everything, fighting skill is even more important. Not sure how much of that you can get from tournaments...trying to take someone down in a tournament is different than trying to kill them, even if there were plenty of wounds and even deaths in tournaments in medieval times.

This was definitely the best episode for battles so far, but overall it was my least favorite due to the scenes with Renly/Loras and Littlefinger/Varys. Some worthwhile exposition in those, but the gay sex and talk of sex with little boys, amputees and corpses was very off-putting. Someone mentioned HBO making their "quota" with those scenes and I've had the same problem with HBO before (e.g. True Blood) -- sex and violence that detracts from rather than aiding the story.

Count me as one who liked the Jaime/Ned fight. I don't think we can assume Ned has rarely raised a sword since Robert's and Balon Greyjoy's rebellions. The North is a dangerous place. There are wildlings who climb over the Wall for raids, occasional reavers from the Iron Islands despite the truce, maybe restless bannermen who need to be put down from time to time.

I liked the mountain clan attack scene too, except for the very end. Bronn, a mercenary of vast experience, sticks his sword covered with blood and who knows what else back in the scabbard without even cleaning it? And when there's so many convenient bodies to wipe it off on? It's a little thing I know, but it took me out of the moment.

The tournament. Yes, HBO Could have shown a few more jousts, or a melee, and more crowds and pageantry. Perhaps it was a budget decision, but there are plenty of fans who'd have appearted as extrass for free. Unless that's against union rules or something. The fight between Sandor and Gregor Clegane looked fine, people don't move at lightning speed with big swords and heavy armor, even if your strength is like nothing human.

Other standout scenes were the Robert and Cersei breakfast discussion. Mostly because the actors are good, but it does make sense that they'd reach an accommodation and have occasional civil conversations after 17 years of marriage. And Arya wandering through the crypts of the castle and hiding in the mighty dragon's skull (I even thought she might be permanently separated when the guards didn't let her in). And the great pullout when Tyrion looks over the edge of the sky cell.

I signed up with HBO specifically to watch this show, because I'm a big fan of the books and it's an incredible rarity to see a fantasy show tht's not aimed at kids. Will proably keep watching for the rest of the series, but then cancel my subsciption til next year.

This guy called Robert Boake, who is one of the production designers and has just been talking about the tournament in said production video, has an almost absurdly sexy voice, I always feel a little weird inside when he speaks... is it just me?

Well, Bryan Cogman said in his interview he was gathering stuff for the bluray.. so hey.

[...] but the gay sex and talk of sex with little boys, amputees and corpses was very off-putting

Fair enough; I find it extremely off-putting that you include the first with the others as if they are remotely the same thing.

Archived