Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

Seeing as how we have some BWB and/or convention neophytes, I figure it would be helpful to post some general guidelines to con-going.

1) You get out what you put in.

Don't just sit back and wait for others to find you. Keep an eye out for people in BWB shirts, or names you might recognize on badges, and introduce yourself!

2) Do not ask GRRM -- or any author -- for an autograph at any time outside of the designated autograph session on Saturday evening.

It's considered extremely rude to pester authors to sign your books, so leave them in your bag or your room until Saturday night.

3) These conventions are run by volunteers.

A little politeness and patience goes a long way to solving the inevitable snafus.

4) These conventions are run by fans.

Don't just hang out with the BWB -- if the opportunity presents itself, start a conversation with non-BWB book fans. I've met some lovely people this way.

5) Don't be an asshole.

Your behavior, as a member of the BWB, will reflect back on GRRM. Whether that is right or wrong or fair is beside the point. The upshot: please temper your behavior and your worst tendencies (at least in public). Failure to do so can get you booted from the convention, so fair warning on that one.

Please don't be put off by the above. Most of these rules are applicable beyond conventions and are just good sense. The rule about book signings is convention-specific, and I only mention it because that one isn't as well-known to new convention goers. :)

If you have questions, ask away!

There are also a couple events outside the autographing where asking for a signature is okay. The Meet The YA Author Party, when the authors are on the Author's Table, in the Dealers Room, or at the Dark Quest Book Launch.

If you see an author that is not scheduled to sign at the autographing, you may ask to arrange a time for a signing as well or if they might still sign at the Mass Autographing. Just don't ask George.

There are also a couple events outside the autographing where asking for a signature is okay. The Meet The YA Author Party, when the authors are on the Author's Table, in the Dealers Room, or at the Dark Quest Book Launch.

If you see an author that is not scheduled to sign at the autographing, you may ask to arrange a time for a signing as well or if they might still sign at the Mass Autographing. Just don't ask George.

Excellent points. I wasn't sure if there were special arrangements at CapClave, and figured that the simplest rules are the easiest to follow. :cheers:

But yeah, please don't ask GRRM to sign your book at the drinks or dinner or when you see him in the hotel lobby chatting with people. Saturday or Sunday signings only, folks. :)

Excellent points. I wasn't sure if there were special arrangements at CapClave, and figured that the simplest rules are the easiest to follow. :cheers:

But yeah, please don't ask GRRM to sign your book at the drinks or dinner or when you see him in the hotel lobby chatting with people. Saturday or nothing, folks. :)

Or Sunday. There is a second George signing Sunday afternoon.

Honestly, if eel like the overarching rule should just be "be polite". I haven't been to a con before, but I figured most people tend to be decent to people they admire and whose work they enjoy. Does it really get that bad?

On a related note, I'm gonna make sure to ask GRRM way ahead of time if he would mind having a picture taken together sometime less busy on Sunday. Hopefully he'll get a kick out of my GRRM costume haha!

Honestly, if eel like the overarching rule should just be "be polite". I haven't been to a con before, but I figured most people tend to be decent to people they admire and whose work they enjoy. Does it really get that bad?

Nobody tell him--let it be a surprise! :p

So this might be of interest to anyone who's planning to drive into DC Friday morning:

Trucker protest on Beltway

Tractor-trailer drivers will intentionally clog the inner loop of the Washington, D.C., beltway beginning on the morning of Oct. 11, according to a coordinator of the upcoming "Truckers Ride for the Constitution" rally.

Organizers of the three-day ride want to call attention to a litany of trucker frustrations and express their disapproval of national political leaders.

The truckers circling I-495 will keep the left lane open for emergency vehicles, Conlon said, but "everybody that doesn't have a supporter sticker on their window, good luck: Nobody in, nobody out." The trucks will be going the 55 mile-per-hour speed limit.

D.C. commuters who wish to be allowed past the convoy must have "T2SDA" – an acronym for the event's original name, "Truckers to Shut Down America" – written on their vehicle, he said.

So this might be of interest to anyone who's planning to drive into DC Friday morning:

Trucker protest on Beltway

I note that they are doing this on the Inner Loop. Therefore, it should be possible to use the Outer Loop w/o issue.

That implies minimal problems for those coming from the north, but those coming from DC and points south should

come up on the Virginia side of the Beltway (Outer Loop), not the Maryland side (Inner Loop).

B and I will be driving out to DC saturday morning, hopefully arriving around noon. Look forward to meeting more of the BwB this weekend.

When are you guys heading back this way? I was planning to drive, as well, if I go--maybe we could carpool? PM me if you like.

Nobody tell him--let it be a surprise! :p

Haha as great as that would be, I wanna make sure he is okay with finding time for it, as well as the fact it could be really unsettling to see a 19 year old hooligan dressed as him hahaha

Archived