Cyanide's upcoming ASOIAF computer game

LadySansa:

It's both single-player (campaign) and online multiplayer. I've been waiting for a game like this for years. I enjoy playing military strategy games such as Total War, and it looks like this game will have a lot in common with TW. I think things look very promising so far, although the game's overall quality will depend heavily on the gameplay itself.

Here's their own description of the game:

A Game of Thrones - Genesis" is the video game adaptation of George R.R. Martin's best-seller series of novels A Song of Ice and Fire. In this strategy game developed by Cyanide Studio, your political prowess will be as important as your strategic and military skills!

Thanks to a well-developed single player campaign written under supervision of the author, "A Game of Thrones - Genesis" immerses you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Houses that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros.

From Nymeria's arrival in the Kingdom of Dorne to the awakening of the "Others" beyond the Wall, you'll live the origins of the A Song of Ice and Fire saga through more than 1000 years of history. From year -750 to year 299, you will take part in Westeros' founding events and largest battles, such as Aegon the Conqueror's invasion of the continent or the War of the Usurper.

"A Game of Thrones - Genesis" is also a great multiplayer game. Up to 8 players confront each others to claim the Iron Throne in intense games where alliances, betrayals, cheap shots, and pitched battles take place!

In this strategy game, victory does not necessarily result from brute force. You can of course choose to use a military approach and besiege your opponents, but you may also strangle them in an economical war, or use all the dirty tricks possible and subtle diplomacy to politically crush them. Treachery, deception and backstabbing are everywhere… so watch your back, always!

Accessing the Iron Throne is achieved by building up Prestige for your House. Different ways are at your disposal: amassing wealth, building many alliances, controlling the Sept temples, slaughtering the opponent… However, some actions may also lead to Prestige loss: laying siege to an enemy castle or town during peace time, being victim of a secret alliance, having your bastard sons discovered, and others. Build up enough Prestige to access the Iron Throne, or crush your opponent’s own prestige to lead them to their dismissal! All the tools are at your disposal for this: assassinate the opponent’s Great Lord, cut his trade routes, bribe and turn his key units against him, capture his officers and ask for ransoms… do everything you can to win the Game of Thrones!

The notion of peace and war is very important in A Game of Thrones and, in part, fixes your strategy and how you will gain control of territories.

At the start of each game, harmony usually reigns. However, every action taken by the players has an effect, be it positive or negative, on the apparent peace. Every killing, assassination, imprisonment and other treachery actions will lead toward War. To the contrary, sending messages of peace to enemy castles (if the envoy manages to reach his destination alive!), freeing captured enemy units, and other actions, will maintain peace. Depending on your strategy and plans, you may want to maintain peace, or to precipitate war.

Here's a direct link to the official site for those who haven't visited it yet:

A Game of Thrones: Genesis

For now, just post in threads like this. When the game is out, or perhaps a demo is out, we'll set up a sub-forum. Of course, the official site also has a forum.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3530-A-Game-of-Thrones-Genesis-Teaser

Here is a link to the trailer...

No in game footgae but the cutscene looks really dated.

I know it reminds me of the cutscenes one of those games from the 90's that would take 8 hours to install and then the entire gameplay would be 2d

Speaking as someone who owns Cyanide's Blood Bowl: don't get your hopes up. Everything right with the game is taken from the original. Everything wrong with it is attributable to Cyanide. The UI is abominable, it took them three paid iterations to quash most of the major bugs, and their original game mode is frankly awful.

re: Blood Bowl

Really? Ouch. Hehehe, I was thinking of getting that game some time ago (being a former WH40k player, I am still interested in the general settings of GW's stuff).

And, yeah, the trailer was quite bad.

I'm not liking what the screenshots are showing, either. The scale and looks all seem...'off'. If they continue w/ their current direction, judging by those screens alone (as gameplay footage hasn't been shown yet, I think), I probably skip on the game.

I kinda wish they had gotten a more 'established' dev to handle the IP. Creative Assembly and Paradox Interactive immediately come to mind. Taleworlds (the folks behind Mount & Blade) come to mind, too.

For a 'pure' RPG (or action-RPG), Poland's CD Projekt RED would probably be a good choice, too (their 2 games, The Witcher 1 & 2, are, IMHO, both great).

Methinks folks who aren't liking what they're seeing should sound off on Cyanide's official boards (I'm not sure what good that'll do, but... *shrugs* :D )

Really? Ouch. Hehehe, I was thinking of getting that game some time ago (being a former WH40k player, I am still interested in the general settings of GW's stuff).

Oh, you should absolutely get BB if you've any interest in the tabletop version, as it's a nearly 100% faithful adaptation (off the top of my head the only difference is that injuries inflicted by stabbing generate xp. Well, that and Cyanide didn't implement anywhere near all the star players) and the tabletop game is strong enough that it's worth putting up with the horrid interface to play. A lot better with people, although your experiences in the open leagues will be interesting; a lot of Claw/Mighty Blow teams around. Find yourself a private league and you're golden.

Singleplayer...well, when you suck at the game it's challenging. Once you know what you're doing it isn't. Still, you can easily get your money's worth from singleplayer. I'd advise getting steam, if you don't have it, and keeping an eye out for a sale, as I picked up the most recent edition for $10 a few months back.

I'm not impressed by the trailer too. If that's the best they can do to show the game...

I've read in the official boards that the Iron Man won't be part of the game because they do not want to spend resources to develop naval warfare just for one house.

In my eyes, that's not a good decision. I can see the logic but with all respect the Iron Man are a big part of the setting and cutting them out is like cutting out The Wall.

Hmm. I think I have seen it on Sale, via Steam, several times before...but ended up getting other stuff. As for the tabletop version: I think I know some people who play, but I don't think I'll be trying it out anytime soon. For the time being, I've pretty much stopped all tabletop activity and reverted back to 'digital gaming' (basically PC, since I don't have any other console...yet :D ).

On the other hand, I am thinking of getting AGoT LCG stuff (if only to update my collection: I stopped playing before AFfC came out. Gah. Feels so long ago :ack: )

re: lack of Ironborn/House Greyjoy in AGoT-Genesis

Yeah. That was kinda disappointing (esp. since it's my favourite House).

Still, the lack of one 'major' House isn't the worst problem of the game, as I see it.

- graphics: I don't want to sound like a 'graphics whore', but the graphics look dated.

- scale: it all looks...wrong?

- art style: the concept art looks nice enough, but the screenshots...they don't seem to convey the setting 'properly' or well.

- gameplay: kinda hard to judge since they haven't show gameplay and, IMHO, the descriptions are lacking...but is anyone else getting the impression that the single-player campaign will be 'scattered' or 'unfocused', instead of being part of a cohesive whole? *shrugs*

Still, the lack of one 'major' House isn't the worst problem of the game, as I see it.

- graphics: I don't want to sound like a 'graphics whore', but the graphics look dated.

- scale: it all looks...wrong?

- art style: the concept art looks nice enough, but the screenshots...they don't seem to convey the setting 'properly' or well.

- gameplay: kinda hard to judge since they haven't show gameplay and, IMHO, the descriptions are lacking...but is anyone else getting the impression that the single-player campaign will be 'scattered' or 'unfocused', instead of being part of a cohesive whole? *shrugs*

Yeah, from reading their website i'm a bit concerned by their plan of each house having their own special units. IIRC the Starks get Direwolves, now that just ruins it for me slightly. I have higher hopes and looking forwards a little more to the RPG rather than the RTS, for that i can just go on the dues vult or total war mods.

Here's a couple of the screenshots

Yeah I'm just gonna wait for the M&B: Warband mod to be released and for a solid TW mod to be made. The Deus Vult mod would be interesting but there's a serious lack of ASOIAF related events that it's just disappointing.

This RTS game looks appalling, to be honest.

The newest update of Dues Vult has Westeros related events. I think there is a Mod for the original Mount and Blade but not for Warband

Yeah. I think the Mount and Blade mod is still the one for M&B v.0.903 or something. Last I checked, tho', there are people working on a Warband version.

re: Deus Vult and Westeros events

There are Westeros-based events, but not that much, from my experience (and from peeking at the events files... :laugh: ). Most of the events are still 'stock' CK:DV, but I think a lot of the art was changed. Still, most of the event work, IMHO. I'm really excited for CK2. :)

re: Mods

Sadly, the official games will be, inevitably, compared to the mods. If AGoT Genesis is released as it looks now...it'll probably be panned and receive comments to the effect 'those guys doing it for free made something that look way better'.

I hope they delay release and 'reassess'. That or have the IP owners pass it off to another developer (Creative Assembly or Paradox Interactive, please :P ).

Archived