[NO SPOILERS] Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray

Arya The Assassin

The Blu-Ray is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com:

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season [blu-ray] (2011)

No release date has been set, though, but it will probably be released in March 2012. A holiday season release would've been cool, but I'm not holding my breath...

Pre-ordered my Blu-Ray set yesterday from Amazon.

I like to think that a lot of pre-orders will encourage HBO to go bigger with the budget for Season 2.

A big thumbs up for concept artwork. That's one area I'm very interested in seeing on show bonus material. I have quite recently bought the Fantasy Flight Art of Ice&Fire book, and though there's some interesting stuff in there, the quality isn't always very consistent and I haven't seen that much other professional artwork on Ice and Fire. Lots of fanart, of course, and some of that is very good, but I think for really consistent quality, one has to look at professional work.

Now, the sets, costumes, items, etc. for the series have been absolutely impressive. I think they really did bring the books to life visually. And I know that behind such great visuals for a TV/movie production stands a whole heap of prior concept artwork and visualization. So, they already have that anyway, I think it would be great to include this on the DVDs/BluRays.

Of course, even better than getting material on the disc would be a stand-alone artbook for the series-exclusive artwork. That would be a dream... but one I don't really count on coming true. :(

• 2 weeks later...

IGN has posted an article about their wishlist for the GoT Blu-Ray:

WARNING: The linked article may contain spoilers!

What We Want on the Game of Thrones Season One Blu-ray

Here's a summary of their wish-list:

• George R.R. Martin: Game Master
  • Book-to-Screen Comparison
  • Commentaries Galore
  • Original Pilot
  • Creating the Opening Titles
  • Interactive Map and Guide to the Houses
  • The History of the World
  • It's Dothraki to Me
  • What's in Store for Season 2
  • Deleted Scenes

Looks like they're wishing for basically the same features as we do :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they will get a blu ray or DVD with deleted scenes?

In some trailers we can see that there are a couple of scenes that have not seen. I suppose there will be much new material that we can see, right? :uhoh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately, there won't be deleted scenes. D&D said at Comicon there wouldn't be any because they used mostly everything. C'mon, there had to be some stuff they had to cut out.... Maybe there will be, who knows.

There is definitely some stuff. Like we have evidence form set photos that they filmed some of Bran sparring (presumably with Tommen? Issac is wearing some padded clothes in one shot).

There's also the Brandon in the throne room with Aerys flash from the first preview. Fof the life of me I don't know why they cut this - I feel like it must have been an expensive scene to shoot (the Aerys costume alone looked pretty elaborate), so why waste that? I suppose they could use it in a Jaime flashback next season since he was present...

Archived