Aussies LIV

Confalume

What a fucking useless idea.

So what the legislation will do is enable the cops to fine someone who gives them some lip for being tossmonkeys.

:rolleyes:

Pat O'shane school of law mate.

No guessing some of my thoughts on this. If I were walking the beat I wouldn't want to have to enforce that. Sure there are times when some dickheads are sounding off and standing in one place metres from alfresco diners that include young children with their families and in that case these guys need to be able to be told to move on (move on laws are dicy at times), otherwise it's like, "yeah fuck you im not doin nuffin wrong, lets take it ta court dickhead." So you have a problem that he's not only disturbing decent people (unless you believe 10 year olds need to hear the use of that and other words in the context of a slut and some guy you're going to kill over your sick car), but now he's abusing a cop. But would I want to tell off every guy who was using a word as an expression though, no.

I'd want to see what their intention for the laws is and how they should be enforced and whether there is any room for discretion on the part of the officers.

Australia should stop policing live cattle export cruelty QLD Mayor Redneck.

I would like to think we can get them to change their practices but it might be pushing shit up hill.

AFL anyone? I think I'll be cheering for the Cats as they take on the pies at the end of the season.

I don't have a big problem with this new legislation aslong as it is enforced with a bit of common sense (big ask I know). Everyone swears at times. What is the definition of a swear word?? It is entirerly possible to swear without being abusive. It is when someone is being abusive that it becomes an issue. There are two very different ways/context of calling someone a fucking dickhead. It's all in the context and the way it's deliverd.

AFL anyone? I think I'll be cheering for the Cats as they take on the pies at the end of the season.

Carn the Dees, but unfortuanatly I don't think we'll be taking on the pies at the end of the year. But I love the Cats and think they have a great chance of knocking off Collingwood come September.

Father or Son????? I think God is still ahead but by the end of his career Junior will be rated ahead of him.

I realise it sounds like silly optimism, but I think Melbourne are a huge chance against Essendon tommorrow night. Trengove and Scully back in, plus two first gamers who will be long term players while Watson and Hocking are still out for the Dons. Plus the Dons still havn't won a game at the MCG this year.

Any SuperCoaches around?????

Carn 'So You Think', get on him for the Arc.

The son gets my vote - by dint of premiership success.

The new swearing legislation is a minor offence in my book compared to the travesty of legislative action the lower house in Victoria passed yesterday:

The Victorian Government has cast the rules of Parliament aside to reintroduce a bill that will allow faith-based groups to discriminate on grounds such as religion, marital status or gender.

Linky...

The new swearing legislation is a minor offence in my book compared to the travesty of legislative action the lower house in Victoria passed yesterday:

Linky...

Maybe I am just dense, but what exactly are the implications of this? Is there some reason it was introduced in the first place (as in, some actual case or instance where it was argued necessary to pass this)? It doesn't sound real great, but its purpose is clear as mud to me.

Maybe I am just dense, but what exactly are the implications of this? Is there some reason it was introduced in the first place (as in, some actual case or instance where it was argued necessary to pass this)? It doesn't sound real great, but its purpose is clear as mud to me.

Basically it means that a religious employer or agency, such as a school, hospital, nursing home etc can sack someone or refuse them service or generally treat them as less than human for being gay, of a different religion, an unmarried mother or whatever they decide offends their faith.

Faith based organisations get a free pass to discriminate.

Basically it means that a religious employer or agency, such as a school, hospital, nursing home etc can sack someone or refuse them service or generally treat them as less than human for being gay, of a different religion, an unmarried mother or whatever they decide offends their faith.

Faith based organisations get a free pass to discriminate.

What on earth possessed the Libs to bring this into existence? I guess Baillieu is in bed with the christian loons then.

Fucking state politics.

Linky...

Wish it would tell me more about the bill rather than who did what sneaky thing etc.

I thought that sort of thing already happened in all sorts of ways, but I'd be interested to see what the bill would really legitimise.

Wish it would tell me more about the bill rather than who did what sneaky thing etc.

I thought that sort of thing already happened in all sorts of ways, but I'd be interested to see what the bill would really legitimise.

This from the explanatory memoranda available on the Vic Parliament website:

Clause 18 amends section 82(2) of the Principal Act and repeals section 82(3) and (4) to remove the "inherent requirements test" in the exception permitting a religious body to discriminate in employment on the grounds of religious belief or activity, sex, sexual orientation, lawful sexual activity, marital status, parental status and gender identity if the action conforms with the religion's doctrines, beliefs or principles or is reasonably necessary to avoid injuring the religious sensitivities of the religion's adherents. The "inherent requirements test" requires a religious body to show that conforming with the doctrines, beliefs or principles of the religion is an inherent requirement of the job and that the person discriminated against does not meet the inherent requirement because of a relevant attribute. By removing the inherent requirements test, employment will become one of the types of action covered by the general religious exception to apply to a religious body in section 82 of the Principal Act.

Emphasis mine.

In short, they are making it permissible to refuse employment to, or dismiss people already employed, for the reasons set out italics in the quote. Further, cl 19 of the bill will make the same amendment with respect to employment in schools.

love to hear what you think of the stein brook!

mine arrived but i am a bit disappointed with quality - they are very thin

am also :bang: that i didnt trigger they wre the girly fitted t's...would have got a mens one otherwise. mine fit...but i am not the most comfortable with how they look. the arryn one (my fave of the bunch) is going to have to be relegated to the house because they are not boob friendly (shwulfie, brook) and so the round design kinda looks more like a an egg on the side and really just terrible :blushing: (shut up ski)

but i do so love my original lanni and stark ones :wub:

:thumbsup:

So my parents just left on a 7-week trip to Europe. My house is empty and I have a fridge full of beer...time for a Perth BwB meet?

Also, no luck on the job front so far, which means I'll be in Sydney/Canberra later this month for more job interviews if anyone's at a loose end.

:worried:

P.S. How did exams go Stubs? Did you gun Procedure?

So my parents just left on a 7-week trip to Europe. My house is empty and I have a fridge full of beer...time for a Perth BwB meet?

Also, no luck on the job front so far, which means I'll be in Sydney/Canberra later this month for more job interviews if anyone's at a loose end.

:worried:

P.S. How did exams go Stubs? Did you gun Procedure?

Want me to say hello while I am there?

Want me to say hello while I am there?

To my parents? They struggled to maintain conversation with Ser Camaris and the Stubbies - not sure it would be any different with you ("So, you met John on...the internet??")

Make sure to take lots of pictures of Europe and send em to Paxter. Preferably on a regular basis, to really drive home the misery. :grouphug:

Yeah, thanks a lot Niloy. :ohwell:

hey pax, sorry to hear bout the job front...keep our fingers crossed for you :)

in the meanwhile lets capitalise on you being in sydney...let us know some dates and we can mass the hoard

just curious, any aussies travelling to chicago's con 2012 started planning yet?

looks like me and the other half will be there (on the bribe of going to some nfl and bball matches)....

i just started poking around and trying to come up with a rough budget...would anyone mind sharing what they are budgeting per day (not inc accomm)? are you guys all thinking of staying at the con hotel? (we were thinking of hosteling it but for a private room theres just no point). we've never been to the US before and are planning an indulgent trip of nerdery for circa 2 weeks before heading on elsewhere (cuba hopefully, but possibly korea to catch onto a friends wedding). apart from the tickets for the events we want to be realistic about how much we spend and not go crazy...so woould be good to get some ideas :) should we maybe start a aussie 2012 chicago thread for the lot of us?

I think we are all staying at the con hotel.

I would budget $100 a day but that's me and I like to splash some money about. Everything is cheap as chips over there. I might take the giant off your hands for those sporting matches ;)

Archived