How Would You Rate Episode 106?

Ran

260 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9. Complaints first: The "hunt" was sort of crap and I'm not sure I like where they're going with Renly's character. I know he doesn't share the same tastes as his brother, but I don't remember him being all pissed off like this from the books. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The fight between Ser Vardis and Bronn was great, but there was one thing I found weird about the whole situation. What exactly is Bronn supposed to be in the TV series? In aGoT he's definitely a mercenary hired by Catelyn, so it's not particularly shocking that he'd fight for Tyrion or use dirty tactics to beat Vardis. In the series, however, no mention is made of what exactly Bronn is. He's rough-looking and rough-fighting, but he could pass for a hedge knight just scraping by. Lysa's court seems to be shocked at how dishonorably he fights, "no way for a knight" I think gets said at some point. So I thought that whole bit was weird.

Other than those complaints, everything was great, Tyrion's back and forths with Mord and his "confession", the trial by combat, and especially the crowning. It's sad to see Harry Lloyd go - he made Viserys fun to watch.

An Eight

Any episode without Dire wolves receives an automatic one point deduction if the Direwolf's played a pivotal role in the scene and this week there were two wildings which could have been eaten by Dire wolves but were not. There lack was missed because we got to saw one eat one already.

Half a point point deduction was for Ros because that entire episode was very Why is this here? The other half a point lost because Theon and Rob once again have a heart to heart but act like assholes to each other not the good friends as described, considering how Theon is treated in the show to date I don't know why he's fallen into the Stark lacky role... it makes no sense when everyone treats him like shit.

Every other episode felt required, needed or was just awesome, could have used a little more Mord but what I got was excellent.

I guess we all have different things we expect from the show, so I'm not going to criticize your position which seems to be that every variation from the books rates a deduction. That's a valid way to watch the series.

I take a different tack. When changes are made, I take both into account and decide which I like better. Sometimes it's the book version, other times its the show version. When it comes to the Theon/Robb interaction you mention, I am liking the way Theon is presented in the show much more than in the book. Theon's sudden turn in the book, while explained to some extent by his desire to prove himself to he Iron Island people, never quite sat right with me. See this slightly more antagonistic relationship between Theon and the Starks makes is all work better. Things add up: Robb's comment that it's not Theon's house; Maester Lewin's snarky comment about failed rebellions, Tyrion's mocking of Theon who had no response to Tyrion's comments, etc. And, even with this, it still makes sense that Robb would send Theon to treat with his father. I'm also liking show Cersei better--she seems a little more human. OTOH, I think book Sansa is much better. I didn't like her being bitchy to the septa.

9. Complaints first: The "hunt" was sort of crap and I'm not sure I like where they're going with Renly's character. I know he doesn't share the same tastes as his brother, but I don't remember him being all pissed off like this from the books. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, he's not. And it's another one of those changes I think I'm going to like. It makes more sense for Renly to want to be king for the reasons he stated on the hunt than book Renly's reasons.

Granted, I will be upset if they decide not to kill Renly off or something like that. But exploring different possible motivations? Fine by me.

What exactly is Bronn supposed to be in the TV series? In aGoT he's definitely a mercenary hired by Catelyn, so it's not particularly shocking that he'd fight for Tyrion or use dirty tactics to beat Vardis. In the series, however, no mention is made of what exactly Bronn is. He's rough-looking and rough-fighting, but he could pass for a hedge knight just scraping by. Lysa's court seems to be shocked at how dishonorably he fights, "no way for a knight" I think gets said at some point. So I thought that whole bit was weird.

I noticed this too. In the OtakuASSEMBLE episode reviews on youtube that I'm sure we're all familiar with by now, the guy thought he was a member of the Night's Watch...and I don't think he's even been officially named yet either. Maybe they'll put in some dialogue between him and Tyrion on the eastern road that will shed some light on TV-Bronn's history and motives.

7/10

Didn't like the change to the Moon Door just so they could add a cliche into the Bronn fight.

The crowning scene was done really well but when you start feeling bad for Viserys there might be something wrong! In the book I didn't feel bad for the character at all. It's strange how they made Viserys into a somewhat semi-sympathetic character but Theon is a complete douche who you feel nothing for.

I cut out the parts I didn't want to respond to. Of what's left, I thought when I first saw it that I would agree with you. That, oh, instead of Bronn using a different style to defeat Ser Vardis, they're going to be lame and have him trick him into falling through the hole. And then they didn't! They actually showed the fight pretty much as I'd pictured it and only had him shove him through the hole at the end. So I ended up liking it.

And I agree that Viserys is somewhat more sympathetic here. But I attribute it to being able to actually SEE just how pathetic he is. He has all these delusions of grandeur but is just a pathetic little man in more ways than one. And I don't care how bad a person is, seeing him sitting there waiting for gold to get poured over his head? You'd have to be pretty cold not to feel something for him. Even if, as I do, you feel it was deserved.

I find it interesting that some people keep saying that they don't like how Theon is coming across as so much of a dock so early (as opposed to his first scene in the book, where it's pretty clear he's a douchebag) and others say that he's being treated so harshly that he's sympathetic and/or his betrayal is inevitable.

A) these seem to be practically if not opposite criticisms, once again (and I tend to think that if people can throw polar opposite criticisms at the same thing, what it actually signifies is that they are being very over sensitive and the actual portrayal is very good)

B) I'm fairly sure he is portrayed as a dick, an outsider and sympathetically in the books. We didn't see much of him in book 1, just like Jaime, but he definitely had these traits and the tv show, not having PoVs, is third person omniscient where we were always going to get earlier and more accurate complexities in character than in the books. Also, because a 10 hour tv show will effectively go at a much faster pace than its source book, all development must start earlier in order to not seem like inconsistency. That's not hard to grasp

C) I don't think his betrayal will be too obvious to tv viewers. Some will get it, but some people guessed that Ned was doomed, or that he'd betray the Starks in the books. That doesn't mean they all will. The signs ate there to see, because of the differences in the pace of revealing information and the speed at which things happen and scenes change, it has to be more obvious in the show otherwise the signs would not be there. And having something happen as an absolute shock with no clues (at least having more than one thing happen) is IMO awful writing. That's why foreshadowing is s universal literary technique. It's clear in retrospect in the books why Theon betrayed the Starks. If it weren't, it would appear to be a cheap change in characterisation as a form on deus/diabolis ex machina. The same applies in the show. They are mediums that run with a different pace and a different viewpoint. That seems to me to account for all perceived differences in characterisation. Except Renly, but he was dull in the book so feel free to make him interesting.

The fight between Ser Vardis and Bronn was great, but there was one thing I found weird about the whole situation. What exactly is Bronn supposed to be in the TV series? In aGoT he's definitely a mercenary hired by Catelyn, so it's not particularly shocking that he'd fight for Tyrion or use dirty tactics to beat Vardis. In the series, however, no mention is made of what exactly Bronn is. He's rough-looking and rough-fighting, but he could pass for a hedge knight just scraping by. Lysa's court seems to be shocked at how dishonorably he fights, "no way for a knight" I think gets said at some point. So I thought that whole bit was weird.

If Bronn's relationship with Catelyn is ever formalized, we aren't privy to that fact. As far as we know, he is a sellsword who has fallen in with her. It may be she does 'hire' him, but it may be like the freeriders who attach themselves to the Royal Train, he's just going along hoping for a reward. At the bottom of the route up to the Eyrie, she specifically notes that he has not acknowledged her authority, so I suspect the latter is more likely.

Clearly a good episode. 8 out of 10, no problem.

But as my friend pointed out: When a king goes hunting, how many people does he bring with him? One guard, one wineskin holder, and ...? Well, how many would you bring if you were a king? (My suggestion was that the HBO budget for the episode had run its course, and that they couldn't include an entire entourage.)

• 4 months later...

This is the episode that I've watched, and re-watched a bazillion times!! My VERY favorite.....I knew Viserys was in trouble when he came to the party drunk.....With. A. Sword.

I could watch Drogo over and over also.....I mean really...... "A crown for king" never sounded sweeter than in Dothraki.........

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...