Peoples of Essos

I would like to know how Essos is going to be portrayed in the upcoming book. Its such a vast territory, and it harbors many different peoples that it deserves more than a superficial description.

We have the peoples from the Free Cities, those of the Ghiscari Cities, the Dothraki, those of the Summer Islands, those of Ibben, Qarth, Asshai, Lhazar, Yi Ti, the Jogos Nhai, the people of Naath, and the maids from Bayasabhad, Shamyriana, Kayakayanaya etc.

So, can we suppose all the different ethnicities G. R. R. Martin presented in the series are going to receive the same kind of treatment?

I think its safe to say that Essos will get less love than Westeros, but I do hope that they get more love than they've gotten so far in the series. I for one is happy to see Daenerys spend more time and in the East so that Essos can perhaps be fleshed out a bit more before she heads over to Westeros away from the two-dimensional Ghiscari. At least I hope there will come a few interesting eastern characters who are against Daenerys.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have the peoples from the Free Cities, those of the Ghiscari Cities, the Dothraki, those of the Summer Islands, those of Ibben, Qarth, Asshai, Lhazar, Yi Ti, the Jogos Nhai, the people of Naath, and the maids from Bayasabhad, Shamyriana, Kayakayanaya etc.

So, can we suppose all the different ethnicities G. R. R. Martin presented in the series are going to receive the same kind of treatment?

We'll know about the places that would be material to the story. At this point, it looks like we're going to learn more about the Free Cities, the Ghiscari territories, and the slave cities in Slaver's Bay. I'm not too sure about the rest of the places you listed simply because they haven't really offered much to the story other than background characters.

My own personal curiosity is in Shadow Lands. But I don't think it's important to the story. If anything, a new series could probably be made out of the region.

• 2 months later...

I would like to know how Essos is going to be portrayed in the upcoming book. Its such a vast territory, and it harbors many different peoples that it deserves more than a superficial description.

when did the maids from Bayasabhad, Shamyriana and Kayakayanay appear?

I really wish Martinw would release a full world map at the end of the series.

Archived