A Song of Ice and Fire [Slipcase Editions]

Buster

The Barnes & Noble "A Game of Thrones" deluxe (blue-bound) gilt-edged slipcased edition (without DJ) is currently half-price ($25.00) at all B&N stores in the U.S. Likely a permanent remainder from now on at that price. You can also by it at B&N online for just $16, plus shipping. It's shrink-wrapped to prevent scuffing of the cloth slipcase and exposed spin edge. Certainly a bargain at either price, especially for the extra items included inside this special edition.

I've added it to my own large (and still-growing) ASoIaF collection; I've never counted just how many different variant versions of the novel I now own, including both the CD and Meisha-Merlin illustrated. Perhaps it's time to stop buying variant copies? (My internal Collector just whispered inside my head: "Who the hell are you kidding?!")

On the reissued Amazon four-volume exclusive set: Does anyone know if the set's copyright pages now indicates a 2nd or later printing? (Usually a string of numbers: 10 counting down to the latest printing, say 3 or 2.) I've vascilated back-and-forth on buying this one because I've found Amazon usually does a crappy job of packing-up their titles for shipping. Being a longtime Collector, I really hate receiving books (or book sets) with shipping damage that could've easily been prevented with proper air-bubble packing while preparing my order; over the years, Amazon's warehouses have gotten pretty sloppy about this.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can I still find the Harper Collins slipcased Lord of the rings which you all mentioned to be of superior quality? are they in the market or just on ebay?

I'm selling my boxed set of Harper Collins slipcased Tolkien books if anyone's interested:

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=p5197.c0.m619

There's also a copy of the GoT slipcase on eBay too:

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=181057724761

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this in the mail, I was hoping the other books would be released like this too......guess not though :(

This is now $7?! Plus shipping to the UK ends up at just over $20. Ohhh I am so poor but so tempted. What a bargain.

Bought it. I have no restraint :laugh:

• 1 month later...

I hold A Game of Thrones close to my heart in ways that I don't with any of the others - though I haven't read ADwD yet - so even though I'm disappointed the rest of the series never came out in this format, I'm glad that I managed to snag this edition of AGoT. Though honestly I would have expected it to be a bit nicer - like, a foldout map a la the old red 'leatherette' editions of LoTR (no longer in print), and no outdated graphic novel preview. Actually, the map as is looks like it's a bit blurry or something, like they laser printed it from a jpeg that was downscaled but without enough anti-aliasing (ie too many jaggies). The normal hardcover editions of the book I've seen do not suffer from this issue.

But in any case, it's still quite a handsome edition - solid color choice; nice silvery bookmark; and classic, minimalistic rendition of the Iron Throne on the front and back covers and on the slipcase. I liked it enough that I bought a second one at twice what I paid for the first (still pretty cheap; B&N deal was very short-term but now the book is OoP and only available by third-party sellers) to keep in shrink wrap. It was a nice way to come back to the series and begin a reread, which is necessary in order to get to ADwD, since I first read the books in late 2010/early 2011 - right before the show came out, though I wasn't aware of it. Advantage is the books were very cheap back then...though I should have bought hardcovers with the old design instead of ebooks (horrendous maps; though a link to nicer pdf versions was provided). Taking a short break with some very different material, but can't wait to sink my teeth into ACoK! This forum seems like a nice good place to get involved! Though I wish there was a nice hardcover edition out there that I could justify buying; it really is a much nicer experience that way...

• 6 months later...

I have been looking for these books for some time now and have only been able to find ADwD and AFfC at reasonable prices (around £24-£28). All of the other vary wildly, anything from £100-£500. Anybody know why this is? Or where i might be able to get hold of them for a reasonable price?

From what I know, the UK Slipcased AGoT only had 3000 1st printings which is why that book is hard to find and very expensive. The other books also had small 1st printings but those did have reprints done so they are easier to find, although you might have trouble finding a 1st for a low price. Keep that in mind if purchasing from a reseller/Ebay/used book site that later printings should have a lower price.

Archived