A Song of Ice and Fire [Slipcase Editions]

Buster

My slipcase AGoT edition arrived today (only ordered 72hrs ago from Amazon), looks lovely. Haven't taken the wrapping off it yet- trying to decide if it's worth leaving the wrapping on, but I reckon it'll just annoy me that I can't leaf thru this copy of the book. Agree that it would have been hard to justify paying £40 for it but at just over £25, I'm happy!

Have to say the other books look great too, I totally agree with keeping the colour the same throughout, although I too would have preferred the 'brown leather' edition that originally appeared to exist. For those who haven't seen the pics linked above it's all blue covers with the Baratheon stag on ACoK, the Lannister lion for ASoS, a kraken on AFfC and the 3-headed dragon for Dance.

Only thing I dislike looking ahead is the Kraken on the case of AFfC, it just doesn't look like a very exciting design; would have much preferred a Sunspear sigil, but it's hard to argue that the Greyjoys are THE primary arc of AFfC. Will still enjoy having a perfectly matching set (eventually).

Cookyperm, where did you order your Tolkiens from?

I would advise against the Tolkien editions, at least from my experience. I just received my LOTR Harper Collins deluxe UK edition today.

They apparently do not come shrink wrapped anymore so faults are pretty hard not to get. At least a lot blemishes everywhere. My book itself has a few folded pages by accident, back cover is very dinky compared to front; feels like it'll come off in no time, hangs way below the book when opened. Some dents in the spine and such.

All in all, it's nice but it's not worth the $115 CDN I paid, YMMV. I think I'm returning it and getting the Alan Lee illustrated 3-book boxset.

I'm actually pretty interested in this after seeing the set posted.

To the people that now have it: is it really not worth the asking price? I will have to pay even a little more for import duties I assume (Canada). Binding look sturdy? Paper anything like the one in the Tolkien editions?

thanks.

Hmm, I do prefer the idea of them all being the same colour, rather than each being different. Though I would have preferred a darker blue, or black. Well assuming Amazon lower the price of these to under £30 again, I might bite, but £40 is just too much. Just hope Harper Collins dont forget about this collection when books 6 and 7 are finally out, and release matching copies of those too.

Bookdepository prices are currently at £30, with free shipping wolrldwide

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons

However the quality of packaging is similar to amazon, no bubblewrap protection unfortunately...

Has anyone heard if they are going to offer these to the U.S. at U.S. pricing. They look great and I really want them but they are a little expensive buying them from the UK. If I just need to wait a little for them to release the over here I will.

I see AFfC is inexplicably being offered at £30 on pre-order, whilst the rest are still at £40 (except AGoT, obviously- which is now below £27).

I was going to wait and order the others once they dropped to ~£30ish, so I may pre-order Feast now. Even though I really really don't like that kraken on the slipcase/spine.

Well, for those of you wanting another look, here is a batch of down-and-dirty snapshots I took tonight. The guy holding the book is my nephew.

A Game of Thrones: Book One of A Song of Ice and Fire

ISBN: 978-0-00-744142-6

MSRP: £40.00 (UK & Ireland)

Harper Voyager - An imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers

www.harpercollins.co.uk

This edition 2011 - 1

Copyright © George R.R. Martin 1996

Set in Minion by Palimpsest Book Production Limited, Falkirk, Stirlingshire

Printed and bound in Great Britain by Clays Ltd, St Ives plc

FSC (www.fsc.org): MIX - Paper from responsible sources, FSC® C007454

www.harpercollins.co.uk/green

this one is for Melinda

Slipcase

Spine

Front

Binding

Front Endpaper

Half Title Page

Title Page

Copyright Page

First Maps

Second Maps

Pages 46 & 47

Page 47 Typeface Closeup

I paid £32.81, which included shipping. At today's rate, that's about $53.44.

As others have mentioned, this edition's biggest downfalls are the binding (glued) and board material, which feels incredibly cheap. I would NOT have bought this book in its current incarnation. So much so that I'll accept any reasonable purchase offers here before putting it up on eBay.

Hello brothers and sisters,

I just registered to the boards yesterday.. After reading all 7 pages of this thread, I am a little confused about the old versions of this slipcase hardcover editions.. I have seen the images of a brown, leather bound special edition Game of Thrones and also a red leather bound Feast for Crows.. I emailed Harper Collins about this but the lady whom I wrote to, told me that they actually never released a brown leatherbound version and the red coloured Feast for Crows was actually clothbound. So does that mean they never released special edition slipcase books with same style? for the existing 4 parts of the story? I have mixed feelings about the new versions.. I humbly believe the book cover is way too crowded.. with 2 colours blue vs grey and the golden inlays and stuff.. I really wish they did something that looked more classic and classy, and they have absolutely NO EXCUSE for a glued bound.. I am so disappointed.. do I have any alternative? possibly a more expensive but higher quality version?

may the force be with you all

thor

On the plus side, the slipcases are almost (within a millimeter) the exact same size as the Meisha Merlin editions.

ETA: By size, I mean height.

Hello brothers and sisters,

I just registered to the boards yesterday.. After reading all 7 pages of this thread, I am a little confused about the old versions of this slipcase hardcover editions.. I have seen the images of a brown, leather bound special edition Game of Thrones and also a red leather bound Feast for Crows.. I emailed Harper Collins about this but the lady whom I wrote to, told me that they actually never released a brown leatherbound version and the red coloured Feast for Crows was actually clothbound. So does that mean they never released special edition slipcase books with same style? for the existing 4 parts of the story? I have mixed feelings about the new versions.. I humbly believe the book cover is way too crowded.. with 2 colours blue vs grey and the golden inlays and stuff.. I really wish they did something that looked more classic and classy, and they have absolutely NO EXCUSE for a glued bound.. I am so disappointed.. do I have any alternative? possibly a more expensive but higher quality version?

So far as I can tell, the red slipcase edition was released as a limited first edition, first printing by Harper Voyager at the time of the release of AFfC; only 1000 were produced, numbered individually. If you would like to know where to pick one up, I can PM you as they do still exist for sale. They are quite nice, however the only difference from a regular hardcover is the slipcase (i.e. remove the paper cover and the books look the same). So to my knowledge, you could never have a full set of these as only AFfC exists; as the editions discussed here are all going to be blue, one red book in the middle may look slightly odd... If any of this is incorrect I'm sure somebody will reply with knowledge that can actually help you on this!

The brown version you refer to never existed: as one poster here explained that was a mock-up of what Harper planned to produce, however when they saw it they didn't like the design, for whatever reason, so the blue edition was produced in it's place. The blue version is definitely not leather - I personally don't feel it's too crowded, and I think it's a very nice book, it's just not the luxury book many of us were hoping for.

Are you familiar with the different versions of the book that exist? In terms of value there's nothing greater than the LE illustrated Meisha Merlin/Sub. Press books ( may be of interest, purely discussing the value of different editions of book) however those are like gold-dust and, well, they don't have that luxury look for me. There are plenty LE versions of books, however whether they have that 'higher quality' look you want only you can say. There will be other boarders who can advise you better than I can, however I think this is the best there is on offer currently, which is a shame.

Welcome btw!

Meant to add, all 5 books are now selling at £30 on Amazon, obviously pre-orders aren't going as well as they would have liked! Not surprised, but it's still nice to see those inflated prices coming down.

Thank you so much for the info! :) I wish they did not use glue for the binding.. in my humble opinion 30 pounds is still pretty darn expensive for a book that is bound with glue :(

Thank you so much for the info! :) I wish they did not use glue for the binding.. in my humble opinion 30 pounds is still pretty darn expensive for a book that is bound with glue :(

umm I forgot to ask you; is there a thread in the forums where I can see photos of the LE illustrated Meisha Merlin/Sub versions?

Can't find anything offhand (with search turned off again), although even a Google search may help you. I think at this point I should refer you to here where there's guys who know everything you could possibly want to ask about those editions, and will likely be able to provide some images as well. Be prepared to see some hefty prices if you're new and seriously interested though!

Can't find anything offhand (with search turned off again), although even a Google search may help you. I think at this point I should refer you to here where there's guys who know everything you could possibly want to ask about those editions, and will likely be able to provide some images as well. Be prepared to see some hefty prices if you're new and seriously interested though!

Thank you! :) Yes I am new.. when you mean hefty prices, are we talking about +1K?

Unfortunately, they are well in excess of that number. Recent history has a lettered set going for $10k, and a numbered set going for $5050.

speechless :) well.. better to be disappointed at the beginning... so I will not go through any drama trying to hunt them down on ebay or somewhere else..

speechless :) well.. better to be disappointed at the beginning... so I will not go through any drama trying to hunt them down on ebay or somewhere else..

If you check out the forum I mentioned earlier there's a lot of discussion in there about the prices those books have been going for.

I would say don't give up hope about the illustrated versions, individually you can stumble across books going for $400 or so, so if you're interested in owning the book rather than being fussy over having a matching numbered set, you've every chance of picking one up at a price that won't see you having to sell your car. Happy hunting!

If you check out the forum I mentioned earlier there's a lot of discussion in there about the prices those books have been going for.

I would say don't give up hope about the illustrated versions, individually you can stumble across books going for $400 or so, so if you're interested in owning the book rather than being fussy over having a matching numbered set, you've every chance of picking one up at a price that won't see you having to sell your car. Happy hunting!

Thanks so much Bro.. I really would love to see some sample pages before spending that amount on a book.. will try to hunt the images on the web..

Archived