The quote that sums up how bad Dany is

Smashing Praise

Maybe the guy is actually honorable? Seriously, we do not know much about him (and honor in that city could easily be different than Westros, so he might not appear so). Though since he built up Dany's power (giving her a safe place and helping her with her pay-per-view dragons) and did not get anything for it, I kinda feel bad for the guy.

I don't see XXD as particularly honorable since he tried to trick Dany into giving him a dragon (through marriage proposal). If Jorah hadn't informed any of that Qartheen tradition, she would not have known that she would have been compelled to give XXD whatever he asked of her (I assume he would have asked for a dragon of course).

Feel bad for the poor peasants exploited to see one of nature's beauties! Feel bad for the chained dragons who are tricked by a human "mother" and used as weapons! Join the Dragon Liberation Army today!

Actually, I prefer my giant man-eating creatures in chains. Sure, they look cute now, just wait until their burnings down your village and eating your children.

Sorry for double post: This one came up while I was writing my previous one.

I don't see XXD as particularly honorable since he tried to trick Dany into giving him a dragon (through marriage proposal). If Jorah hadn't informed any of that Qartheen tradition, she would not have known that she would have been compelled to give XXD whatever he asked of her (I assume he would have asked for a dragon of course).

Of course, that is going by what Jorah said. We don't see XXD's side. And if they are married, it's not like she would be totally separated from her dragon. He might totally be cool with her retaking Westros when her dragons grow (because I am sure he would see some advantage of his wife taking a country for herself) while he sits and enjoys his pleasure barge.

We really do not know what he is thinking. We only see what Dany and her advisers think of him (which could very well be true). The fact is he made Dany powerful (dragons or no dragons, she would not get anywhere without gold) and never got anything in return. And there is no evidence he ever did anything against her (after all his investment in gold and time in her) against her other than asking her to leave. He may have hired the Sorrowful Man, but I think that was after Dany destroyed the warlocks (I don't remember 100%). Oh. The surviving warlocks will remember who helped her while she was in the city....

This is not Dany bashing (I find nothing wrong with her actions, since she promised him nothing for his help, she owed him nothing) or me saying she have married XXD or anything like that. I just find it kinda funny to look at him as a decent guy who got screwed rather than a slimeball who got screwed. Nor am I saying it's Dany's fault he got screwed. It's no one's really.

So, I decided I will pity XXD and remember no good deed goes unrewarded.

The fact is he made Dany powerful (dragons or no dragons, she would not get anywhere without gold) and never got anything in return. And there is no evidence he ever did anything against her (after all his investment in gold and time in her) against her other than asking her to leave. He may have hired the Sorrowful Man, but I think that was after Dany destroyed the warlocks (I don't remember 100%). Oh. The surviving warlocks will remember who helped her while she was in the city....

Didn't he ask her to return everything she gained while she was staying with him though ? I was under the impression that the only thing that Dany got from Qarth was a short period of rest for her khalasar and the prophecy of the House of the Undying.

That describes me well (cant say I even dislike Dany all that much though), but whatyou've written describes, and very well, *coughmarysuecough*

I wouldn't say she's a Mary Sue, since she has plenty of flaws - arrogance being the most obvious, but she can also be self-righteous and vindictive. I see her as similar to Sansa in a lot of ways. She has an idea of what an honorable, just ruler is like (possibly gleaned from stories), with very little idea of what ruling actually entails. I imagine Meereen will be a wake-up call.

But I do understand why others would consider her a Mary Sue, since it seems to be a reaction against GRRM's pushing so hard for us to like her - similar to Tyrion or Jon, I think.

Didn't he ask her to return everything she gained while she was staying with him though ? I was under the impression that the only thing that Dany got from Qarth was a short period of rest for her khalasar and the prophecy of the House of the Undying.

Maybe, my sister is borrowing my CoK, so I can't look it up. But it was just an amusing thought I had, I could be totally wrong.

I wouldn't say she's a Mary Sue, since she has plenty of flaws - arrogance being the most obvious, but she can also be self-righteous and vindictive. I see her as similar to Sansa in a lot of ways. She has an idea of what an honorable, just ruler is like (possibly gleaned from stories), with very little idea of what ruling actually entails. I imagine Meereen will be a wake-up call.

But I do understand why others would consider her a Mary Sue, since it seems to be a reaction against GRRM's pushing so hard for us to like her - similar to Tyrion or Jon, I think.

Part of the accusation stems from the belief that despite her obvious flaws, they never seem to slow her down and she never really gets punished for them. Of course she does, but in this series there's punishment and punishment...

This is not Dany bashing (I find nothing wrong with her actions, since she promised him nothing for his help, she owed him nothing) or me saying she have married XXD or anything like that. I just find it kinda funny to look at him as a decent guy who got screwed rather than a slimeball who got screwed. Nor am I saying it's Dany's fault he got screwed. It's no one's really.

But, but, but... he's one of those who oppose Dany! He MUST be a two dimensional, selfish, manipulative evil person! It is known!

Heh. I don't actually think XXD is so bad. At the very least he's the least threatening of the troubles facing her in that city. Certainly life as her wife would have been fun. Just not what Dany's after. Though you have to think she might think twice when she actually sees the Iron Throne and realizes what she's fought so long for. All those silks and cushions she's been sitting on will seem like dreams of heaven once she's queen of Westeros.

Archived