[Book & TV Spoiler] Strange thing Sam said....

Sidonie

Ok. I just saw Episode 7. After Jon got assigned to be a steward, and not a ranger, he explained his frustartion to Sam: "I've always wanted to be a ranger!"

And Sam replies (something like),"Well, I always wanted to be a wizard."

Did anyone else think that maybe this was some sort of foreshadowing? At the end of AFFC, Sam was at the Citadel, and he just met Marwyn the Mage. My point is...maybe Sam WILL become a wizard (student of magic).

Did anyone else find this weird? :dunno:

I think that it might have been written with this intent in mind. And since this show is, I am given to understand, trying to pick up former Lost viewers who apparently analyze every detail, maybe they're expecting them to call this.

Ok. I just saw Episode 7. After Jon got assigned to be a steward, and not a ranger, he explained his frustartion to Sam: "I've always wanted to be a ranger!"

And Sam replies (something like),"Well, I always wanted to be a wizard."

Did anyone else think that maybe this was some sort of foreshadowing? At the end of AFFC, Sam was at the Citadel, and he just met Marwyn the Mage. My point is...maybe Sam WILL become a wizard (student of magic).

Did anyone else find this weird? :dunno:

Didn't find it weird, I think it is foreshadowing based on what I want to say what Luwin tells to Bran about magic and how the maesters do study it to get the valyrian steel link. I don't think he will become a wizard, but at least studied in the arts as much as Westeros allows.

Just on the topic of Sam, do other people find him different than what they've imagined him in the books? This is not a criticism mind you, I don't mind them changing characters from what I perceived them, I just thought it an interesting observation. Maybe its a factor of them aging up the children, but in my books I imagines Sam soft, short, soft, almost feminine and very shy. Show Sam, well I can get that the actor is trying to play him as a coward, but he actually seems he could kick the ass of half the rest of the guys in the watch, and he seems a bit too cool and horny, what with all the girl jokes and the teasing.

Yep, they've made Sam comic relief, and actually given him a *gasp* personality. :) I think this was a conscious choice - there was too much darkness in the show already. Plus, it kind of makes it nice for someone to be a little less emo in the watch. Jon brings enough of that himself! Sam's humor often snaps him out of it. In the show I understand why they are friends - in the book I never did.

I just thought it was funny. BTW, I adore John Bradley-West. Everyone I've gotten into watching the show (amongst the non-reader population of humanity) adores his Sam. Not really related to the topic, but ... gosh, I just love Sam.

I loved Sam in the books, and he's being played quite similarly to the way I saw him. I heard a few chapters of the books on tape, and I thought he was read so snivelling and whiny that I couldn't stand the interpretations of him (my interpretation of him was less obnoxious).

So, I capital L love Sam, and feel the actor is doing him justice.

Interesting note about the wizard. I thought it was a fun joke, and also that there seemed to be an extra little zing there. I can't wait to see if it's prophetic (and I'm hoping it is!)

I think they've pitched Sam very well. He's probably going to be a better character in the TV shows than he was in the book, I doubt he'd ever admit it but I wouldn't be surprised of GRRM would like to have revised Sam to be not quite as cowardly in the beginning.

I can accept Jon being drawn to Sam in the books. Jon and Sam share a lot in common: both being brought up among the nobility, but not truly being seen as part of the nobility. Jon because he's a bastard, Sam because he's a fat craven reviled by his father. Like Tyrion I can totally believe that Jon has a soft spot for cripples, bastards and broken things. Most of Tyrion's own family don't like him but Jon forged a pretty strong friendship with Tyrion in the brief time they were together. That suggests Jon has the capacity to see past people's faults and look at the qualities a person has.

Sam is great, and I'm so glad he got his own PoV.

Oh yeah, and I always saw the maesters as being a mix of wizard and scientist. So I thought them chosing wizard as the humerous object of Sam's wishful thinking was definite foreshadowing. He could easily have said he wanted to be a dancer and it would have lightened the mood.

Archived