Glen Cooks The Black Company series

dylan

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

.Don't know enough about Goyer to comment.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice? :P

Also:

Films

Year Film Director Producer Writer
1990 Death Warrant No No Yes
1991 Kickboxer 2 No Associate Yes
1992 Demonic Toys No No Yes
1994 The Puppet Masters No No Yes
1996 The Crow: City of Angels No No Yes
1998 Dark City No No Yes
Blade No No Yes
2000 Mission to Mars No Co-producer No
2002 Zig Zag Yes No Yes
Blade II No Executive Yes
2004 Blade: Trinity Yes Yes Yes
2005 Batman Begins No No Yes
2007 The Invisible Yes No No
Ghost Rider No Executive No
2008 Jumper No No Yes
The Dark Knight No No Story
2009 The Unborn Yes No Yes
2012 Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance No Executive Yes
The Dark Knight Rises No No Story
2013 Man of Steel No No Yes
2016 The Forest No Yes No
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice No Executive Yes
2020 Green Lantern Corps No Yes Yes
TBA The Sandman No Yes Yes

Television

Year TV series Director Producer Writer Creator Notes
1997 Sleepwalkers No Yes Yes No Writer of the pilot episode.
1998 Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. No No Yes No Television film.
2000 FreakyLinks No No Yes No Writer of the pilot episode.
2005 Threshold No Yes Yes No Co-writer of the second episode.
2006 Blade: The Series No Yes Yes No Co-writer of the first episode and the season finale.
2009–2010 FlashForward Yes Yes Yes No Directed and co-wrote the pilot episode and the second episode. Co-writer of episodes 3, 10 and 17.
2012–2015 Da Vinci's Demons Yes Yes Yes Yes Writer of the pilot episode and episodes 2, 4, 8, 9 and 14.
2014–2015 Constantine No No Yes Yes Co-writer of the pilot episode and the third episode.
2017 Krypton No Yes Yes Yes Co-writer of the pilot episode.

I thin kits brilliant casting, and its one I've actually thought about before. I had to pinch myself when I read it. Now, I admit, I'm a giant Eliza fanboy, so.

The news seems to really be making the rounds at entertainment sites, so hopefully we a least get a pilot out of this.

Goyer...that is not so good, although there are a few really good things in there. Like, Dark City! Batman Begins! Then you look at the rest. So hopefully he;s having an off day. :P

Goyer seems very hit and miss. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Dark City were very good movies, The Dark Knight Rises was acceptable but then you have some shit there like Blade 2 and 3, Jumper and Batman vs Superman. Also, the TV shows he worked were either quite juvenile or Lost-wannabe (I am looking at you Flashforward). This series needs definitely to be dark, like Game of Thrones, but even darker.

Eliza Dushku on the Lady role suits it very much IMO. Good choice, and it is always nice to hear that the actress has read the books.

It would be interesting to see how they do with the Croaker role. He starts as a young guy but on the last books he is 60 something id I am not mistaken.

This one seems like its pretty far along, ED posted the news on her FB and Twitter so I imagine its at least at the casting point, which is good.

And its goign to be a TV series it looks like.

It's not at the casting stage. Eliza Dushku is on board as a producer and tentatively agreed to play the role of The Lady. I suspect that will remain the case, but it might be that whatever network signs up the project decides to put someone else in that role. Casting will not get underway until the show is formally greenlit.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I realize how arbitrary this request is but I'll make it anyways:

About what page/section does this book really start to grip? I had to put it down a while back and I couldn't say why. It took me forever to get past the first part where

Spoiler

They want to free themselves of their contract, end up being attacked by that monster thing during the process, succeed, and end up sailing away with that person in the armor. Yes... It's been a few months. I got further than this but this is the only thing fresh on my mind.

I don't skim but I kept feeling like I was missing something and ended up constantly flipping back to see if I did or not. Perhaps that's the problem. I've read a good ways into the Malazan Book of the Fallen so I'm used to being given a lot of information you can't do much with when you first read it. However, it almost feels like I'm given very little information overall when reading the first Black Company book... But yeah, maybe I won't mind so much if someone can give me a solid point of interest to read to. Then if I'm not gripped I'll know I tried.

When does it start to grip?  I don't know.  When I started the first book I was continually baffled by some of Cook's narrative choices and the writing style.  It took me about 30-40 pages in the omnibus to get used to it, and I'd say by the second half of the first book I loved it.  I just found the style to be an acquired taste.

19 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Glen Cook is pretty much the polar opposite of Erikson style wise. I see his stuff often referred to as war correspondent prose. As for when it grips it's been a looong time since I read the first so I couldn't really tell you.

Well I guess that would make sense! To clarify, I find Erikson to be difficult to read more often than not but the POV switches at least changed it up. I was introduced to both series as something to tide me over while we wait for the next ASoIaF book to come out. I started with Black Company, didn't get too far, and then gave Malazan a try and the characters drew me in a bit more.

10 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

When does it start to grip?  I don't know.  When I started the first book I was continually baffled by some of Cook's narrative choices and the writing style.  It took me about 30-40 pages in the omnibus to get used to it, and I'd say by the second half of the first book I loved it.  I just found the style to be an acquired taste.

I think coming at the first book with this in mind is gonna help me. Seeing it as daring to be different rather than just judging it as "not what I'm used to."

Thanks for both your replies! I'm gonna pick up where I left off tonight and see how far I can get. I'll keep you posted.

I'd have to agree with the others and say around halfway into the first book as well. It's been probably 8 years give or take since I read the series, but I also had trouble getting into it at the start. Definitely glad I pushed through and kept reading.

Reading the first novel shortly after having finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen, I never had any problem with a hook and loved the trimmed down narrative style of the Black Company as a change from Erikson's prose. I had the Bridgeburners and Bonehunters in the back of my mind the entire time while reading it. The mystery of just what the hell was happening initially, really interested me from the start as well the whole atmosphere of the novel. If I had to pick a moment where I was hooked, it was probably first meeting One Eye and Goblin and learning about their "friendship".

Archived