Sound Design

One thing that is consistently driving me crazy is the foley mixing. I think in general the sound design itself is quite reasonable, but the mixing of it is completely out of whack. Some basic examples, the very loud (and exactly the same) sucking sounds in the first Tyrion Ros scene and the Loras Renly scene.

Often, I find the "background noise" drowning out important dialogue (ie. Littlefinger's whispering to Sansa during the tournament).

Hubby is a soundscape designer and musician, so perhaps I'm a little overly sensitive, but it's certainly gotten to the point of distraction for me.

One thing that is consistently driving me crazy is the foley mixing. I think in general the sound design itself is quite reasonable, but the mixing of it is completely out of whack. Some basic examples, the very loud (and exactly the same) sucking sounds in the first Tyrion Ros scene and the Loras Renly scene.

Often, I find the "background noise" drowning out important dialogue (ie. Littlefinger's whispering to Sansa during the tournament).

The mixing is fine, at least in my opinion. The dialogue is clear and I don't find the background sound to be intrusive at all. I'm watching GoT in a calibrated home-theatre. I've also tried to listen to the audio using a 2.1 downmix (source is 5.1 DD), and the audio still sounds fine to me.

What kind of setup do you have? Are you sure the channels have been balanced/calibrated correctly? How you perceive the sound depends a lot on your audio setup.

I've been a music lover for as long as I can remember, somewhat of an audio geek (just a bit), and I've also done my own recordings and mixing/mastering, stuff like that...

...I find absolutely nothing wrong with the sound in GoT.

Thanks audiophiles! I guess it's back to the drawing board for my set up. 'Cuz honestly, it's sucked and been completely out of balance over here.

Maybe your 'hubby' might be able to help you, since he's a soundscape designer and musician? It's difficult to provide specific advice without knowing your setup..

Thanks - I'll get him on it, because honestly I'm a technophobe and couldn't tell you much beyond 5 point surround with a whole bunch of equipment that's usually set to pretty kick ass conditions... :blushing:

(What's even more embarrassing - I'm a (mostly theatre) director, so I'm used to listening very carefully and then asking for the changes to be made and then they're done for me!)

But I will tell you that I've revisited the shows (I PVRed them), and consistently the foley mix has sounded very unbalanced. I will take everyone's word for it that it's not, and will strive to get a better quality (with help of course). Then I will post my valiant success or agonizing defeat on this thread.

Thanks - I'll get him on it, because honestly I'm a technophobe and couldn't tell you much beyond 5 point surround with a whole bunch of equipment that's usually set to pretty kick ass conditions... :blushing:

EDIT: Oops, I missed that part about "5 point surround" :stunned: Ok, so you do have a surround system. I've modified my questions below.

Does your surround system support acoustic room correction and/or dynamic volume/EQ? These technologies can help to make the dialogue more intelligible, especially at lower volumes. The room correction procedure will also balance the channels properly in relation to each other.

It would also be helpful to know more about your source: It sounds like you're using a digital TV decoder. Is it configured for stereo or multichannel? (default is usually stereo)

Oh, and one important thing: Do you experience these problems with other 5.1 sources? (other TV shows, Blu-Ray/DVD movies, etc.)

But I will tell you that I've revisited the shows (I PVRed them), and consistently the foley mix has sounded very unbalanced. I will take everyone's word for it that it's not

At least on our setups :) That doesn't necessarily mean that there's nothing wrong with your setup. But on a 'decent' and properly configured setup the audio mix should be fine.

^ Could you specify certain scenes and what you think is the problem with them just so I could revisit them with your criticism in mind?

She mentioned a few specific scenes in her first post. I've listened to those scenes myself but I think the sound mix was fine.

Archived