First review of ADWD

Werthead

I can't envision it to be honest. If there are peace treaties to be had -- and the reviews indicate there are -- I would look elsewhere first. Then again, I'm rather unconventional in how I think the story with respect to Stannis will play out. In my case, a peace treaty between Asha/Theon and Jon Snow/Howland Reed/Rickon Stark is more likely than any involving Stannis.

Ironically, I think any treaties involving any of those parties would have to involve Stannis. In fact, I cant see any way that Theon would be a power in the North without him. Jon's not involved with anything south of the wall and Rickon's hiding, waiting for a strong ally like Stannis to support.

I think Jon will be both betrayed and forced to confront the reality that he needs to rally the North in order to provide some kind of defense against the Others. That's where the treaty comes in (i.e., he will meet Howland Reed who is with Rickon, etc.) And I think Stannis' plans will eventually backfire and he'll get so desperate he will burn his daughter and thereby give birth to that great stone beast seen in Daenerys' vision in the prophecies at the House of the Undying. This will also start Stannis' descent into becoming the new Night's King. In any case, believing that, I can't possibly envision a peace treaty between Stannis and anybody.

But outside this whole discussion, I still say a peace treaty in King's Landing is more likely than the other suggestions.

I think Jon will be both betrayed and forced to confront the reality that he needs to rally the North in order to provide some kind of defense against the Others. That's where the treaty comes in (i.e., he will meet Howland Reed who is with Rickon, etc.) And I think Stannis' plans will eventually backfire and he'll get so desperate he will burn his daughter and thereby give birth to that great stone beast seen in Daenerys' vision in the prophecies at the House of the Undying. This will also start Stannis' descent into becoming the new Night's King. In any case, believing that, I can't possibly envision a peace treaty between Stannis and anybody.

Ok i understand, this is your prediction. I however am of the opinion that the Others wont attack until the next book or at leastthe end of this one so, seeing as the books as large as ASOS, I bet the bulk of the Northern story will be Stannis & allies vs Boltons & Freys, ending with a battle near, or on, the Crossing.

Of course Mel won't need Stannis to produce a stone dragon if Jon's parenthood becomes known. This book is going to be great.

I'm not really saying that the Others will attack in ADwD because I don't believe that. That said, I think the concluding scene to the book might be that great stone beast being raised.

Of course Mel won't need Stannis to produce a stone dragon if Jon's parenthood becomes known. This book is going to be great.

I suspect her entire POV exists for the moment when she discovers who Jon really is, just as he's slipped through her fingers. Well, that, and to be our watcher on the walls when Jon buggers off.

I think the new Septon (who is holding both Cersie, the young queen, and the Kettleback lad hostage) may be the spark that will trigger peace treaties with many unexpected houses in the South and the Others may spark the same kind of treaties in the North. Only both will probably be loosing those battles until Dany comes to Westeros and saves all of their arses and that will be the key to winning back her kingdom and the people in it. This may explain the delay of Dany's move to Westeros and we will see her own battle of who to trust and how to gain complete control of her Dragons before making this move is made in book 6 or 7.

Maybe it happens early in the book, but that review does reveal one thing about a major character that's more than slightly spoilerific.

Poor Tyrion. Martin has to make him suffer even more.

Maybe not maybe it's good luck if

the kidnappers stop at one brothel ... and Tyrion spies one Sailor's Wife.

I don't know why people are complaining that It'll be like AFFC. AFFC was good, admittedly not as mind-fuckingly-good as ASOS. Readers who just want action all the time should probably stop reading and start watching Michael Bay films.

Is there any chance Griff etc could be the slavers? From the spoiler chapter, it didn't really sound like Tyrion was their honoured guest. I wonder if Illyrio sold him out.

Varys (who is obviously a co-conspirator with Illyrio) worked hard to get Tyrion away from his family and across the Narrow Sea. Seems unlikely they'd do all that just to sell him to slavers.

It might be that something happens to the Illyrio/Tyrion caravan on their way to Dany. Ilyrio dying during this process would be an interesting twist.

Man I will be so glad once the book comes out so we can start talking about what actually happens in the book. 10 years of speculating is starting to make it hard to remember what actually happened in the story and what we just talked about on the internet.

I could see Stannis allying with Asha/Theon. Stannis recognizes Theon as the rightful lord of the Iron Isles, Theon recognizes Stannis as the rightful king, and both promise to help each other gain and keep their rightful positions. If Asha is still able to control whatever small number of Iron Islander are still in the north, it'll be a little something to add to Stannis' strength.

Stannis will meanwhile be propping up his candidate for the next Lord of the North (with Jon as his top choice) who will have a similar agreement with Stannis.

If the Blackfish makes it North, you could see another like agreement.

Man I will be so glad once the book comes out so we can start talking about what actually happens in the book. 10 years of speculating is starting to make it hard to remember what actually happened in the story and what we just talked about on the internet.

Having just reread Feast, it's pretty amazed to realise the point at which the story actually stops in the book. I have made so many assumptions about where things are gonna go. Getting ahead of myself.

By gawd I hope some more news comes out soon. POV revelations, chapters, reviews. The release is less than 3 weeks away!

Tell us moreeeeeeee.

Given it's only three weeks until you get the book anyway, why would you want to be spoiled pre-release?

And as mentioned in the news section, Bantam have embargoed the book until release day (or at least a day or two before for reviews) and required people to sign NDAs not to post reviews until that time. So there's unlikely to be any more reviews until a day or two before release at best.

Given it's only three weeks until you get the book anyway, why would you want to be spoiled pre-release?

I wouldn't want to be spoiled, but I would appreciate more reviews and perhaps also a list of the chapter division among POVs to help set my expectations. Still, given the embargo, I doubt we'll be getting either anytime soon.

On the subject of the embargo, I'm at a loss to understand the logic of forcing reviewers/bloggers to hold off until release day when non-reviewers will almost inevitably start getting access to copies a week to ten days before from less scrupulous booksellers.

As for tidbits, from Shawn Speakman at the Terry Brooks forum:

He says, according to another source, that "More happens in the first 200 pages of ADWD than all of AFFC." Sounds a bit hyperbolic to me, but there you go.

From Larry at Wotmania:

Someone else told him that squirrels are mentioned in the story.

From Pat's Fantasy Hotlist:

The character based on Pat is killed in one of several grisly fashions, including being eaten by a dragon, cooked in a pie or torn apart by a giant.

None of which are probably any help whatsoever (the first one contradicts the PW review outright) :P

Archived