First review of ADWD

Werthead

three chapters for quentyn is too little.

specially, since He is referred in the abstract.

I don't think that's terribly significant. Maester Cressen is mentioned in the summary for ACOK, and he only got one chapter. Meanwhile, Quentyn was originally (or rather, when the split occurred) supposed to have only one chapter.

There does seem to be a character or two who has more chapters than one would think. I'm starting to think it might be Asha and/or Davos, or alternatively, maybe Dorne is featured more than I thought, in which case Areo might have several chapters.

IIRC GRRM stated re: the Dorne chapters, they were going to be moved to the next book, but he realized in retrospect he could not have "X" happen, whatever "X" was, and not have some kind of Dornish reaction portrayed. Therefore we can probably surmise the Dorne chapters are not a substantial story arc in the sense the North and Mereen will be.

I could be misremembering GRRM, but I suspect there's not a lot in Dorne we'll see (although it does raise the question of what happened that required seeing the Dornish reaction)

So, someone with knowledge of Westeros (and the sack of King's Landing) is plotting within a group of mummers to usurp with a fake Aegon, someone in that group has to have pretty good knowledge of Westeros and its political situation to pull that off in any way that's a real threat. Tyrion could be the viewpoint that shows the actions of this faction, or maybe this is where the last new viewpoint (the one we've never met/seen before) shows up.

Instead of someone within a group of mummers, it could be someone who was once a mummer. Hmmm...I wonder who that could be?

There does seem to be a character or two who has more chapters than one would think. I'm starting to think it might be Asha and/or Davos, or alternatively, maybe Dorne is featured more than I thought, in which case Areo might have several chapters.

I think Davos may be the one. He'll probably decide to lay low somewhere and find himself sucked into another plotline that way, maybe Arya's in Braavos.

I can't see how this is real look at the dates that they say they were reading the book.

It wasn't completed when they say they started.

George was sending the book in piece by piece, not at all once when he finished.

It's definitely possible I'd say, if only because trolls try to get more of a rise out of people. That review doesn't really seem too trollish, moreover it's an old review, if you look at the dates involved. It's an obscure review, probably seen by very few people, considering ADwD on that site is flooded with fakes, trolls, and opinions. It could be fake, but it could just as easily be real.

I suppose it is possible but the review would definetely not be of the book that will be published.

I still don't think it's real. If this person worked for the publisher and they found out they put this out on the internet they would be fired.

Regardless of whether it's real or fake, it provides zero new information that wasn't publicly available from other sources and is pretty vapid. What, winter is coming? Really? I wasn't sure that the end of AFFC was clear on that. THANK YOU.

Odd. First of all she says some (all?) of the AFFC characters don't have POVs (which we already knew was not the case), then she says Arya has a 'nice chunk' of the book (is 2-3 chapters out of 73 a 'nice chunk'?). That seems self-contradictary.

Odd. First of all she says some (all?) of the AFFC characters don't have POVs (which we already knew was not the case), then she says Arya has a 'nice chunk' of the book (is 2-3 chapters out of 73 a 'nice chunk'?). That seems self-contradictary.

Good point, should have noticed that earlier.

Also true the review has absolutely no new info.

12th July can't come quickly enough then I can actually read the book instead of reading about it. :D

She may not work for Bantam Spectra or HarperVoyager directly, but in some capacity where a contact was able to give her a copy of the book. It's also possible she works for the audio book makers, one of the other publishers involved, etc. It's also possible she works for the much wider Random House group (which is huge) and got the MS from another department, which is not an uncommon way that these things can happen.

I could be misremembering GRRM, but I suspect there's not a lot in Dorne we'll see (although it does raise the question of what happened that required seeing the Dornish reaction)

I'd link this with a possible fake Aegon. If one of Elia's children was still alive would that not stir up a few Dornishmen?

Of course there are other possibilities - Gregor not being dead, Quentyn dying...

Exactly, and the line previous to that in the review, about a young man seeking Dany would have to be Quentyn Martell and his band...which leads to the Mummer's Dragon and fake Aegon traveling with Tyrion and his "band of misfits"

So, someone with knowledge of Westeros (and the sack of King's Landing) is plotting within a group of mummers to usurp with a fake Aegon, someone in that group has to have pretty good knowledge of Westeros and its political situation to pull that off in any way that's a real threat. Tyrion could be the viewpoint that shows the actions of this faction, or maybe this is where the last new viewpoint (the one we've never met/seen before) shows up.

I'm very excited that the mummer's dragon and fake Aegon have a larger role in this book than I anticipated. Dany's story has always been the weakest for me because she was so disconnected from Westeros. But with all these unique story lines brewing around her, I am actually very excited for her story especially the parts regarding Quentyn and the mummer's dragon.

ETA: Oh, I didn't see that there was an excerpt that looks like a whole Tyrion chapter. MUST. RESIST. LOOKING.

Archived