[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 2 question

NW Deserter

...Blackwater. How well do you think will be handled?

I'm working on a reread to get ready for ADwD and just finished Clash again this morning, and was reminded of how epic in scope this whole battle was. It's the only time that Martin has used that many chapters in a row of starkly different PoVs to describe an event in the series - we get a wide range of perspectives, emotions, and descriptions of the carnage.

I suppose Sansa's PoVs are easy enough to portray, it's just her, Cersei, and some retainers in a holdfast. Tyrion's little sorties are easy enough as well, at least before the bridge of crushed ships. But the shitstorm that Davos goes through is some intensely vivid and gruesome imagery that would make a master film-maker gulp. Do you think HBO will be able to pull off the carnage of multiple ships ramming each other, men fighting from deck to deck, all while the sea itself is erupting with the grotesque beauty of the Pyromancer's Piss? If not, do you think they'll make an attempt and end up with pure cheese, or just scale the battle down a ton?

They'll need to be able to donaate 30-40 minutes of an episode to really get this right, I think. Do you think they'll pull it off? Do you even place as much importance on this battle's portrayal? If not that's fine, just curious!

:fencing:

According to GRRMs not a blog the original screenwriter for that episode made it too big and expensive which to me sounds like he will scale it down quite a bit

Edit:spelling

I think what he said was that 'the damned author' made it too big and expensive to film. (Meaning, himself, of course) :laugh:

I think what he said was that 'the damned author' made it too big and expensive to film. (Meaning, himself, of course) :laugh:

That's the gist of my worrying, I think. I just hope "scale down" means getting "up close and personal" shots instead of cheesy, low-budget wide shots, if you catch my meaning.

"writing the first draft of my script for episode nine of season two of the HBO series GAME OF THRONES, "Blackwater," and damn, but this one is a bitch of an adaptation, the original author made the damn battle way too big and too expensive,"

I don't think this means it will be scaled down, it's just a matter of getting the right balance of epic and financially feasible.

Archived