[Book Spoilers] EP108 Discussion

Ran

Holy crap...this episode was nearly flawless. You could really tell George wrote it, it felt straight from the books, I don't think there were any added scenes at all!

-Syrio. Fucking. Forel. So badass, choreography was great for that scene. And of course, there's still room for him to escape. GRRM sure knows his fanbase.

-Robb got some legit screen time! He's up there in the badass category for this week. His lines with the Greatjon were money.

-Tyrion's lines were freaking awesome this week. And we actually got all three of the hill tribe chiefs! Didn't expect that.

-Arya was awesome as usual, but I really need to give Sophie Turner props for her Sansa. I really think she's giving that character justice, and did well with meaningful screen time.

-Drogo just barely edges out Robb in the badass category with that throat-rip. Although I thought his wound came from fighting another Khalasar, not one of his own. Not a big deal though.

-The wight fight was pretty cool, although the wight itself was moving really strangely. Why did it pretend to be dead for a second?

-Rickon speaks! That was heartbreaking!

-Hodor swings! XD

-Only two more...but I'll try not to think about that. I am really excited to see how non-readers take these last two episodes.

-A bit of an anti-climactic ending, but it definitely put the tension in there. It kind reminded me of the ending to LOTR: The Two Towers, where you have a small glimmer of hope that stuff will turn out well but it fades out with Gollum (Joffrey) seeming even less trusthworthy and with eerie music accompanying his scheming. Only difference is that there won't be a happy ending this time...

George really should write every episode, there were so many recognizable lines from the books.

I actually have a complaint (my first one). (I know, I hate myself for this---even the husband said "but George wrote this---there must be a reason) Why did Robb let the Lannister scout go? That was just stupid. (so he added 2,000 men to the count, 20,000 still does not equal 60,000)

Other than that, I LOVED the episode. It was AMAZING! 10/10

Wow, first episode that I have no major complaints. The wight attack was way too short and Ghost was excluded from the rescue and the ending scene was a lame one to end on but otherwise, great. GRRM should write all of them. Obviously. :P

Loved this episode. Best one yet. I liked Arya performance, especially when she killed the stable hand. That was great.

Love the direwolves in this. Also loved Robb's performance in this as he will be getting more screen time now.

Sansa is still my least favorite character at this point, but the actress playing her is doing a good job. We also saw some Hound.

Love the Khal scene killing that guy bare handed even as he gets wounded. EPIC!!

Next weeks episode is going to be epic

Three questions

Why cut Tyrion's Oscar speech about Tysha, I can only hope it's been moved to a later episode

He mentions it several times in the series, they likely move it. Hopefully still with Bronn, for his comments.

Will we see the actor playing Syrio playing Janquen?

Nope. Even the Syrio=Jaqen crowd include a Faceless Man magic change between the two, so they won't look alike.

Might we see Selmy leaving King's landing next week to set up season 2?

Hopefully with the scene of him killing the guards.

Fucking amazing episode. Easily my favorite so far, perhaps because all of the plotlines are picking up speed as we barrel towards the season's climax and the war.

The writing was superb. This is exactly how I wanted it adapted -- a lot of the best bits made it from the book to the screen, especially juicy chunks of dialogue. We expected no less, of course, this being George's season one episode, but I was very impressed with the pacing, the scene transitions, everything. I'm sure he had assistance -- he's been out of the screenwriting biz for decades -- but despite who polished it, you can see George in there very clearly. Moreso than the other episodes, despite the fact that every episode has a lot of George in it, considering it's adapted from his work.

The Tyrion/Bronn scenes were great, and the introduction of the mountain clans. Shagga was wonderful and I like how they introduced Timmett and Chella. That scene in Tywin's tent was very satisfying; pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. The scene where Barristan is "decloaked" hit me in all the right spots, too -- Littlefinger's "naked knight" quip endeared me, perhaps for the first time, to the actor's portrayal of Petyr. The Syrio fight, the Greatjon's introduction, Jon dispatching Othor, the mention of the Late Lord Frey. Some bits were left out or changed around, but as with most of the other abridgments, it's done with good reason and with good results. We got a lot of Robb, and I thought his acting was great; the "Call the banners" line was an adrenaline surge. Peter Dinklage and Maisie Williams continue to steal the show. Drogo was a complete bad ass, and the chest wound/Mirri Maz Duur plotline all lined up (perhaps not exactly as it was in the books, but it hit all the requisite points).

My personal favorite line of the episode (and one of my favorite exchanges from the first book): "Who do you truly serve, Varys?" "The realm. Someone must."

Masterful episode.

it took 8 episodes but the Hound finally came out! Thanks George!

This episode was owned by Robb Stark. Young Wolf, baby. His scene calling the banners, smacking down the Greatjon, with Cat and then letting the scout go. great. He's baiting Lord Tywin, making himself seem "the green boy"

This whole episode felt like it begins the setup of season 2. Osha talks about the dangers beyond the wall. We finally have Rickon so the audience remembers the youngest brother and his relative impotance in season 2. Shagga's goats. And the best setup for laters seasons...Tywin shitting gold!

Good to see Kevan and the Greatjon.

I just knew George would leave Syrio open. Bastard.

If he didn't have other books to write, I'd see a future of script-writing in his future. :P (I kid, I know he's been there done that.)

Loved all the Robb stuff. Loved that we got a taste of Sandor/Sansa. Loved Drogo. I laughed at the Greatjon's "tough meat" line, and the look on Bran's face of OMGWTFBBQ?!?!?! Got super sad at Robb/Bran's goodbye scene, and was super impressed at Hodor's uh...giant blood.

All-around spectacular episode. No complaints. Except it was too short!

I actually have a complaint (my first one). (I know, I hate myself for this---even the husband said "but George wrote this---there must be a reason) Why did Robb let the Lannister scout go? That was just stupid. (so he added 2,000 men to the count, 20,000 still does not equal 60,000)

Maybe... it was a Westerling. Eh? Eh?

The Syrio fighting scene was a bit weird, mostly because I don't think it looked believable at all that he knocked out all those armored men with a wooden sword.

He dealt several heavy blows, and a few were through visors. That was a pretty thick sword.

While I loved the episode, I have to admit I sorta wished for at least one more scene that wasn't from the books because those are some of my favorite parts of the show so far - but I do realize that with all that is going on in the book at this point there really isn't time for anything else.

I knew they were gonna leave that Syrio thing open - damn it!

I did think the stabbing of the boy a bit rushed, but otherwise overall a great episode.

I actually really like Sophie Turner, I think she's doing a great job with the material she's given.

What's up with Barristan and Jorah being so damn hot? Jesus.

I think the actor playing Jofferey was AWESOME on the throne. Perfect.

I actually got a little emotional, knowing what is in store for these characters :(

BUT MOMMY IM HUNGRY!

because he wants tywin to think he's dumb and rushing south to fight him. i thought it was great.

I wish that Rob would have explained to everyone why he made the move and the scout will go and report to Tywin that the North is coming, while they will instead go and attack Jaime. It would have made the tactic look like the genius that it is to the normal audience, they will forget the finer details by next week when Rob crushes Jaime.

Not perfect, but probably as close as any episode can get. Ideas gotten across without too much heavy dialogue (Cat not contradicting Robb, etc., and even Osha's talk about the weirwoods), which was refreshing. I didn't like the Old Bear being turned into a prop for Heroic Jon, but that was really about all that I would object to.

I think it will set up Robb's brilliance as a field commander. He let's the scout go, the man thinking it a boast to Tywin when in reality Robb is going to split his forces and attack Jaime in the Whispering wood while Rooose takes on Tywin at the Green Fork.

Archived