[Book Spoilers] EP108 Discussion

Ran

It's a shame the north of the Wall stuff is fairly uneventful in the next book, up until the last bit.

Aye, that's what I would worry about more. HBO audiences will be ok with major characters dying. Will they be ok with an apparently major plot element going onto the backburner for a long time? IIRC, critics liked season 2 of the Wire, but a lot of fans thought the docks were taking too much time away from the corners.

To those saying new fans will drop the show with Ned's death...it's possible. However look how awesome Robb became in this last episode, and think how even more awesome he will be in the next two. I think if fans at least stick around for the finale they will throw all their support behind the KING IN THE NORTH for the next season.

That was pretty much my progression reading the books. I was all for Ned, and once he died I was heartbroken but all the the King in the North, and by the time the Red Wedding rolled around I was furious, of course, but not about to stop reading...

There seems to be many people upset with the unrealistic rape scenes in this episode. Actually there is no rape as it just seems that the Khalasar is hording the women into a pen area. Just pointing it out

You are right, but the problem is that the other characters are reacting to it as though it is a rape - i.e., Dany's bloodrider (Jhogo?) saying that the men "honored" MMD, etc. It isn't making any sense to me.

Honestly guys, non-readers are going to be angry Ned dies, and won't watch the show anymore. Mark my words.

Books are different, but when you kill of a "main" character that was the spearhead in a tv series, people tend to get a little pissed.

Well, I don't know how representative TVwoP is, but the most common theory there is that they'll ask Ned to confess, and because of his honor he'll shout out the whole incest thing and force them to kill him.

So most people there don't think Ned will live, already.

You are right, but the problem is that the other characters are reacting to it as though it is a rape - i.e., Dany's bloodrider (Jhogo?) saying that the men "honored" MMD, etc. It isn't making any sense to me.

Yeah, it's clearly said to be rape. It might happen off-camera but we're led to believe the Dothraki have been indiscriminately raping the women.

Have to agree with those that say Theon is a much more tragic figure in the show. You can really see that he cares for Robb after protecting him and Bran in the Godswood, as well as being first up to draw steel on the Greatjon. I am also hoping that Theon eventually gets a shot at redemption somehow serving Bran perhaps when he eventually rules at Winterfell.

Another thought: I don't care for the way HBO is handling the rapes.

I don't necessarily want to see rape depicted on the screen, but OTOH, I find the whole thing of tossing the women about by the hair or whatever they were doing to be a bit disconcerting. Same with the dry humping of the Dothraki women at the wedding. And I don't quite understand the rationale behind it - Pillars of the Earth made it pretty plain what was going to happen to the traders at the wool market, so why is HBO doing this strange thing of trying to keep the plot point of rape while having the women dry humped or tossed about?

This is a genuine question - its so bizarre-looking on the screen to me that I can only assume that they have some rationale behind it.

The rationale is obvious: People don't like feeling too uncomfortable. A little bit of discomfort is good, like with a horror movie. If people going to horror movies were actually made nauseous or afraid for their lives, they wouldn't go. Gore is titillating, but the gore is never the type to make you actually sick. The same applies to sex or rape. There's a little bit of titillation watching a rape scene, or they wouldn't keep cropping up in movies, but people don't actually like watching a rape, especially from the emotional point of view of the female. Generally, you know, when watching a movie, that the victim will be saved right beforehand or that the rapist will get his due punishment, so its "okay" to watch. That, well, doesn't happen with the Dothraki.

For a contrast, watch the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. There is a scene that is uncomfortable, very uncomfortable to watch, in a way that never appears in Hollywood films. In a movie, you can get away with that, because people tend to sit through things of that nature. You can't as much in TV show, because you need to keep viewers coming back, and they won't if every time they watch, the end up feeling genuinely uncomfortable.

tldr: Sex sells, portrayal of rape (other than a danger for heroines to avoid or to show how evil the baddy is) doesnt.

also, how far along is she supposed to be? plenty of petite women barely show at 5-6 months.

Try again. Petite women show FAR More at 5-6 months. I know one first hand and second hand all my wifes friends. All petite ladies. Around 5 ft to 5ft5. All show REALLY well at 5-6mos of pregnancy. Wife showed quite well BOTH times with both pregnancies. Unless the mother is a smoker, drinker and has a terrible diet then maybe.

Dany's belly should be at least 6-7 mos along by now. And well into her 2nd trimester.

I don't really think many are likely to stop watching post-Ned, anymore than people ceased watching Rome after Caesar is murdered at the end of the first season. Ned's death "works" as a story point because we are already at that point invested in the character and the cause of his family. It drives the action and the character motivation forward and leads us asking not just "what next?" but "when will this crime be avenged?"

Regarding the "sexposition" debate that keeps cropping up for some reason with sex vs violence. We have had at least one scene of "violencposition" in this show too. The seemingly universally loathed "Why is LF stealing the Hounds lines!!??" scene that occurs while Ser Hugh gets "Mountain-ed"

Hahaha man, I can't wait to see how shocked non-readers will be. :D

Hmm, I'm not so sure it will shock everyone. The casual non-reader viewers may be shocked, but over at the forum for non-readers at TWOP, where they obsess over the series as much as we do here, they all seem resigned to Ned being not long for this world. Their reasoning is different though - they more or less think that Ned is so honourable that he would rather die than swear to Joffrey - so they might be thrown off just enough by an offer for Ned to take the black that hopefully will come earlier in the episode.

When Sansa said "I'll be a queen. I won't hatch anything." I immediately thought of Danny. Non Cersei but Danny. I was like: There is another who is aiming to be Queen. And she, on the contrary, is about to hatch something!

Oh I don't underestimate people, I always count on them to fail :-p

Most non-readers I've heard about from friends had no idea Jaime and Cersei were brother and sister until the fifth episode.

That's pretty weird considering the very first time we see the two of them in ep1, Jaime opens up with the line, "As your brother, I feel it's my duty to warn you... you worry too much, and it's starting to show."

I guess those non-reader friends of your friends were too busy texting or Facebooking to have caught this oh-so-subtle introduction.

With the build up this show has towards the Dothraki invading, the dragons hatching, and The Others waking up.... the next three seasons right lose non-readers fast. TV crowd are fickle mistresses.

I totally agree, some will bail, but I also know that the show has converted a lot of regular non-readers into actual readers. The show may turn some off, particularly the ones who cannot bring themselves to read "Fantasy", but has created a new buzz and flood of readers and followers. Just check the amazon best sellers list ATM.

Archived