[BOOK SPOILER] About Robb....

MMOWarrior

My fear for the red wedding is that many of the side characters will be sacrificed or else they wont be able to make the viewer care about them with limited screen time in the same way that I did despite their lack of 'book time'

The deaths of Dacey Mormont and the Smalljohn upset me nearly as much as Robb, and Cat's even though we barely knew the characters. If the tv show gets that far I hope they find a way to give a few of those characters a moment first so they mean more to the viewer than just a bunch of nameless bannermen.

Richard Madden is doing a great job, but I still think he looks too old. I'm fine with Robb being aged up a few years, but show-Robb looks like he's in his mid-20's. They should have him be clean shaven, or have the barest hint of a beard. There's a scene in the pilot where he's clean shaven and he looks much younger.

His extreme youth really adds to the romance and poignency of Robb's storyline.

Also, makes for good contrast of one boy king (Robb) vs another (Joffrey). (Like we contrast Hands- Ned and Tyrion, and Queens- Cersei and Dany)

Assuming we get Season 3, I wonder if they'll actually name that episode The Red Wedding? Probably gives too much away.

but show-Robb looks like he's in his mid-20's

Yes, so some of us can feel less like perverts when we sigh over him ;)

Assuming we get Season 3, I wonder if they'll actually name that episode The Red Wedding? Probably gives too much away.

Well in the books everyone is apprehensive about the wedding. They know it's a wedding, they know bad stuff is coming so naming it might give it importance but it might not give it away? Maybe?

If anything it's gonna be worse in the show (the emotional response that is) because we are going to see Robb doing things that we only hear about after the event in the books because he's not a PoV. I think we're going to see Robb falling in love and getting married despite his oath to Lord Frey. We're going to see Robb the commander, conquering all who stand against him. He is going to be a hero of huge magnitude by the middle of season 3 (or the end depending on how they carve up aSoS) that the pit of despair the unsuspecting TV viewer will be thrown into will probably be greater than what we readers felt.

Honestly, I think with the emotional investment some people have in their TV characters I wouldn't be surprised if it caused clinical depression in some people...if done right. There's lots of TV I haven't seen but is there a precedent for this in TV drama?

I'm gonna be gutted seeing it and I've read the scene multiple times, as have most people here.

To be honest, after last episode I already care more for TV Robb than I already did for Book Robb. Probably because the TV Robb has yet to do all the dumb things which doomed him in the book, and of course Richard Madden acting was great in the last episode.

Admittedly though I still had to laugh when Theon told him "It means you are not stupid" given all the blunders Robb will make later on the series. :P Cynical, I know, but I couldn't help it.

Admittedly though I still had to laugh when Theon told him "It means you are not stupid" given all the blunders Robb will make later on the series. :P Cynical, I know, but I couldn't help it.

"All the blunders"? He really only makes one significant one (the marriage).

Hence why, when the Red Wedding comes along, I'll be weeping for both Robb Stark of The Books, and Robb Stark of the Series.

God, I'm a pansy...

I tear up just thinking about it. Watching it on screen... :crying:

I think "The Rains of Castamere" would be an incredible name, at least for book readers. Not sure if that song will be used in the show or not. Every time I think of the Red Wedding I hear that song in my head (yes, even with a made-up melody) and it gives me chills.

More realistically for the show, it will probably be something more prosaic like "The Wedding".

"All the blunders"? He really only makes one significant one (the marriage).

-Sends Theon to Balon

-Leaves the North completely undefended

-Marriage

-Is stuck in the westerlands when the climatic battle of Blackwater takes place. A battle that loses him the war, whether he realizes it or not.

-Failure to make sure his commanders were on the same page as him("Hold Riverrun"). Would it have killed him to tell edmure that he should NOT engage Tywin?

-Fails to see the Tyrells as a good alliance and doesn't take advantage of their split with Renly and Stannis(the Lannisters with the aid of Little Finger do take advantage).

-Almost gets KILLED by Jaime Lannister in the Battle of the Whispering Wood. This is not usually sited as a mistake by him, but he was LUCKY that Jaime Lannister sword got stuck or he would have died right then and there.

He made a LOT of mistakes.

I think "The Rains of Castamere" would be an incredible name, at least for book readers. Not sure if that song will be used in the show or not. Every time I think of the Red Wedding I hear that song in my head (yes, even with a made-up melody) and it gives me chills.

More realistically for the show, it will probably be something more prosaic like "The Wedding".

How about "No dull affair" (remember the Dothraki wedding? ;))

For some reason Book Robb really annoyed me and I wasnt that bothered when he died. TV Robb seems to have grown on me a lot more. In the books I found events involving him quite boring but not the TV.

Im a bloke and straight so Im not gay for Robb or anything like that!

some of the most emotional scenes on screen leave it for your imagination to fill in.. Psycho for instance never showed more than blood going down a drain, yet is a scene that will forever have an impact on the movies..

sometimes a suggestion opens up more horror in the mind than a picture ever could..

I think they will do that with grey wind atached to robb body. If they show it will be nowhere as bad as imagination.

I hope they show Cat cuting the fool neck and her crazy laugh while being stabed in the face.

The Red Wedding has the potential to be as epic as the infamous Goodfellas scene with the haunting melody of the piano section of Layla playing along. Assuming we get a Season 3, it's going to be a truly water-cooler event. I don't think I've ever read anything that made me sadder, angrier, and as frustrated as that scene. George himself couldn't write it until he'd written the rest of Book 3 and then he had to force himself to go back and write it. Powerful stuff indeed.

I hope they do something with the song rains of Castamere. That is what made Cat realizes something was wrong. it would be amazing if the viewers had the same realization.

Didn't Cat realize something was wrong after a Frey rudely refuses a dance with Dacey Mormont, then she follows him and touches the ringmail beneath his clothing?

Yeah, and then she realized they were playing RoC. But to be fair she felt something was wrong with it from the beginning. She even went to the Maester of the Twins because she thought it might have been something with her borther's new wife. (That and she worried a lot)

True. She insisted that Robb ask for refreshment so that they'd be protected by the laws of hospitality. She knew something was wrong long before that, but it was at the moment Grey Wind hated that Spicer guy, right? And that how he growled all the way to the Twins. Poor wolf.

Robb wouldn't listen to her or his own wolf. Sigh.

...Richard Madden ...has that look in his eyes when he confronts Greatjon over the vanguard - that lupine savagery ...

I think the book Robb and the show Robb are two subtlety different characters...

Hence why, when the Red Wedding comes along, I'll be weeping for both Robb Stark of The Books, and Robb Stark of the Series...

Spot on, Northern Knight. Book Robb is uncertain and hesitant, especially when Cat is bullying him. Our TV Robb really is a "Young Wolf".

I am getting teary just thinking about the Wedding.

Archived