[BOOK SPOILERS] Kevin Lannister?

Anomandaris86

Is it just me, or does the casting of Kevin Lannister seem a bit off? I'd always pictured him as a stout man, and as a pretty decent person all in all. The version in the show doesn't seem that way at all. He seems kind of an asshole, by his mannerisms and such. Does anyone agree with me, or are there some things I'm forgetting?

Both Kevan and Tywin and more stout, built like shit brickhouses in the books, except Kevan is a bit more portly. They sort of softened up both of them in the show.

I was more unimpressed by Timett. They got the one eye thing, but the actor looks like a far ICP fan with that stupid goatee and whatnot. Totally not fear-inducing, by any means.

Kevan Lannister doesn't really have much of an independent personality in AGOT. He only becomes interesting when he starts interacting with Tyrion and Cersei in private, away from Tywin. I think they got that right. The physical stuff doesn't really matter that much to me.

What bothered me about Kevan is that he looks older than Tywin. That just ain't right. Other than that, I don't have any complains.

Dance is three years older than Gelder. At that age, brothers looking older/younger than would be chronologically expected is fairly common.

In my family, I look the youngest, my elder brother looks ten to fifteen years older than me despite being only four and my youngest brother looks a year or two older than me, despite being more fit and four years younger. Hair is a huge tell and it does not fall out evenly.

Kevan Lannister doesn't really have much of an independent personality in AGOT. He only becomes interesting when he starts interacting with Tyrion and Cersei in private, away from Tywin. I think they got that right. The physical stuff doesn't really matter that much to me.

Agreed, until much later on Kevan is just Charlie McCarthy to Tywins Edgar Bergen.

I dont remember which POV I was reading, probabily one by Tyrion in SoS where he says that even before Tywin became lord he was already mercyless and ruthless. Most sugestions he did to Tyrion grandfather were cold and violent and it seems that not all Lannisters are like Tywin because his father was much more forgiving. Its unfortunate that we all hate the Lannisters, but Jaime and Cersei ended the way they are mostly because of Tywin. Maybe Kevan wasnt such a bad character and that is why he isnt such a bad guy.

Check out Ian Gelder in Torchwood: Children of Earth, where he plays a character with a harsher and more ruthless personality. I think we'll see an evolution similar to the books, with Kevan in the background to start with and then stepping up later on. TV Kevan does seem to be less stoic than his brother, as we see when he actually laughs (or at least smiles) at Bronn's quip.

I dont remember which POV I was reading, probabily one by Tyrion in SoS where he says that even before Tywin became lord he was already mercyless and ruthless. Most sugestions he did to Tyrion grandfather were cold and violent and it seems that not all Lannisters are like Tywin because his father was much more forgiving. Its unfortunate that we all hate the Lannisters, but Jaime and Cersei ended the way they are mostly because of Tywin. Maybe Kevan wasnt such a bad character and that is why he isnt such a bad guy.

Speak for yourself, not all of us hate the Lannisters :P

Speak for yourself, not all of us hate the Lannisters :P

Beat me to it.

While I'm here, I'd like to give a shout out to the guy playing Maester Luwin. He doesn't have a big role, but I think he's doing a great job and fits perfectly with how I imagined him in the books.

Kevan didn't become sympathetic or dare to speak his own mind before later on.

Tyrion's impressions as of AGOT was that 'Kevan Lannister never had a thought Tywin Lannister didn't have before him', remember? It's only in the latest book we get a favorable impression of him.

While I'm here, I'd like to give a shout out to the guy playing Maester Luwin. He doesn't have a big role, but I think he's doing a great job and fits perfectly with how I imagined him in the books.

Agreed, I love his portrayal. Loved his look of fierce, surprised pride when Robb called the banners. Maester Luwin delivered all of Catelyn's children, and he probably acted as a grandfatherly role to all of them too (as a foil to Old Nan who acted like the grandmother with the crazy stories :)).

In season 2,

I'm going to be so sad when he gets a spear through the back. :( His death really bummed me.

Kevan didn't become sympathetic or dare to speak his own mind before later on.

Tyrion's impressions as of AGOT was that 'Kevan Lannister never had a thought Tywin Lannister didn't have before him', remember? It's only in the latest book we get a favorable impression of him.

Yeah, I remember thinking that Kevan was just Tywin's obedient lapdog, but in ASoS you get a bit of insight into his thought,

when he rants to the imprisoned Tyrion as to why he respects Tywin so much.

And then in AFFC he finally comes into his own

when he puts Cersei back in her place. Hell, the simple "aye, and his father too, I think" line suddenly made me respect him more than I did before. I wonder, did Tywin even know the incest was true or not? I was under the impression that he never believed it, but apparently Kevan was less blind to it, possibly because they aren't his children (Tywin's children have always been his "blind spot", so to speak). And when he tells Cersei that she's as unfit a mother as she is a regent and she throws the wine in his face... brilliant :lol:

Archived