What sort of spinoffs might GoT generate?

Mjolnir

So, we and legions of others have been following Game of Thrones over the last eight weeks. Finding trends in the show, discovering our favourite character relationships [reproduced from the books or given new dimensions by the adaptation], in some cases noting what doesn't work so well for us. My question here is one that I'd assume burns in the heart of many a marketer with a franchise that looks like it might be on the rise: How can we milk this? To that end, what spinoffs set in the expansive world of Game of Thrones do you feel HBO ought consider? Who deserves their own show?

To be clear: This is a combination joke / dream question. HBO does not do spinoffs, and GoT doesn't need one. With that out of the way, I feel the marketing oracles would be passing up golden opportunities if they did not consider...:

-- Bronn and Tyrion's Excellent Adventure: A dwarf lord and his sellsword companion tour the Seven Kingdoms, talking to each other and stirring up shit. Potential long-running episodic series. Hijinx ensue.

-- History With Ros: It seems to be thought at GoT HQ that no one's going to watch a scene of worldbuilding or political exposition unless it's spoken to the rhythm of some people getting it on, and Ros has been a primary mechanism for this. In this series which brings her character to the fore, Ros wanders the Seven Kingdoms, having politically and historically educational sex. I'm not sure I'd watch it but it seems to be something the show's into, so why not live it up?

-- Tywin Lannister's Extreme Hunting: Or: "How To Skin a Deer Like A Fucking Boss".

-- The Littlest Murderer: I think GRRM once mentioned ...

vague implicit spoilers

that he really enjoyed writing Arya's adventures in Braavos and could've written an entire book of them if he hadn't controlled himself. Well, why not have em on TV!?

-- All My Walders: This politically and emotionally fraught domestic soap opera focuses on the Twins and the Westerosi misfits who live there.

-- Just So: Prequel series. Syrio Forel. For an hour. Every week. I don't know what lengths I would go to to make this happen.

"Hello God, it's me Sansa" -By Sansa Stark

"There and Back Again, a Hobbit's tale" - by Tryion Lannister

"Hunting Whores and Fucking Boars: An Autobiography of King Robert Baratheon" - By Grand Maester Pycell (Foward by Jaime Lannister)

"The Feminist Mystic" - By Cersei Lannister (Foward by Loras Tyrell)

"What to Expect when you're expecting" - By Mirri Maz Duur

Hodor!- The Adventures of the Biggest Stableboy

And a prequel trilogy of films detailing Robert Baratheon's rebellion against the Mad King. In which...

It's revealed that warging and green dreams is part of weirwood DNA that some have and others don't, the Starks being particularly known for their woodiness. It was Ned's greatest secret, that he had been born with greater warg powers than any ever seen before, until he fell to the dark side and journeyed south to uproot the old order and install one more to his liking.

"The Brothers Clegane" - Essentially the same premise of Supernatural. It takes place before the series. Gregor convinces Sandor to help him find their missing father, all the while solving supernatural murders (involving, magic, white walkers, children of the forest, etc) all around Westeros.

"Home for the Winter" - Taking place before the series, this half-hour comedy feature the Stark household living together and growing up. It's essentially Growing Pains, but with the Starks.

"Hello God, it's me Sansa" -By Sansa Stark

"There and Back Again, a Hobbit's tale" - by Tyrion Lannister

"Hunting Whores and Fucking Boars: An Autobiography of King Robert Baratheon" - By Grand Maester Pycell (Foward by Jaime Lannister)

"The Feminist Mystic" - By Cersei Lannister (Foward by Loras Tyrell)

"What to Expect when you're expecting" - By Mirri Maz Duur

Oh, should not have read this while drinking, wet keyboard ensued... :laugh:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the most obvious spinoff: CSI Winterfell.

And we could also have:

So You Think You Can Joust: We go searching the Seven Kingdoms for talented Hedge Knights who compete for a place in the Kingsguard.

Wolf Whisperer with Brandon Stark: We follow Bran Stark as he travels the Seven Kingdoms helping people with their unruly pets.

Westerosi Idol: Bards and singers from across Westeros compete for a chance to perform at the Kings wedding. Hosted by Simon Silvertongue.

Stony Shore: We follow a group of young adults as they handle life at the Stony Shore.

Deadliest Catch: This show follows Yoren as he scowers the Westeroi dungeons for rapists and murderers to bring back to the Wall.

White Walker Hunters: We follow a group of amateur White Walker hunters as they search beyond the wall for signs of White Walkers, but mostly they just freak out when they hear a noise or rub up against each other in the dark.

Extreme whore makeover: Girls from all over Westeros and beyond compete for a job at Littlefingers brothel.

Westero-C Span: With live coverage of the proceedings in the Small Council.

Thoros of Myr and the Flaming Sword of Fire - Thoros and his BWB fighting the evil Lannisters.

The Big Bang Theory - Following closely Jon Arryn's quest to find the truth about who is the father of Cersei's children.

Sons of Incesty - After finding out about their heritage, Tommen and Myrcella start their own motorcycle club.

Come Fly With Me: The Lysa Tully edition - ...

Ugly Brienne - Following the everyday life of the fairest maid in all of Seven Kingdoms.

The Tonight Show with Petyr Baelish - Featuring Varys the Eunuch, Ned Stark, Tyrion Lannister and the musical guest Blue Bard.

"Castle" - Where Jaime Lannister besieges Riverrun.

"House" - Where we take a loving look at all the Houses with the aid of a curmudgeony, misanthropic protagonist, Mr Tywin Lannister.

"Two and a half-man" - Where Tyrion, Shagga and Bronn make many hijinks around Westeros.

"Stark Naked" - Had to be done.

"How I Met Your Mother And Subsequently Killed Her Entire Family" - A beautiful look at the average Westerosi engagement.

"The Treasury" - Petyr Baelish and Varys are forced to run a 21st Century Office. Said Office rises to the prestige of a superpower, before uniting all under an iron fist.

Given the show's international success I can see some potential crossovers with British TV formats:

Dragon's Den - Westerosi entrepreneurs pitch their business ideas to the Mad King Aerys Targarayen. If he likes the idea, he might invest, if not then the pyromancers await.

Maester Who - Maester Aemon travels through time and space throughout Westeros' history fighting evil with the aid of a series of young female companions.

Last of the Arbor Wine - old friends Tywin, Robert and Ned are living in retirement in a small village somewhere in the Riverlands where they bicker and get up to various hilarious escapades.

Life On Westeros - Detective Inspector Sam Tyler is knocked down by a car in Manchester 2011, when he wakes he finds himself in a strange icy fortress whose Lord Commander Hunt insists that Sam is a brother of the Night's Watch. It's like he's landed on a different planet...

Coast - the team investigate coastal living around Westeros. In episode one Neil Oliver joins Euron Greyjoy to find out how to raid a peaceful fishing village and take their women as saltwives.

"Castle" - Where Jaime Lannister besieges Riverrun.

"House" - Where we take a loving look at all the Houses with the aid of a curmudgeony, misanthropic protagonist, Mr Tywin Lannister.

"Two and a half-man" - Where Tyrion, Shagga and Bronn make many hijinks around Westeros.

"Stark Naked" - Had to be done.

"How I Met Your Mother And Subsequently Killed Her Entire Family" - A beautiful look at the average Westerosi engagement.

"The Treasury" - Petyr Baelish and Varys are forced to run a 21st Century Office. Said Office rises to the prestige of a superpower, before uniting all under an iron fist.

Really? I'd have gone with "How I Met Your Mother" wherein Ned Stark tells Jon Snow of all the crazy hi-jinks during the rebellion and how he came into the world.

Archived