Pick 10 characters you think will survive at the end of the series

Ariadne101

1. Tyrion (Martin can't kill himself)

2. Sansa (Queen to be; she'll be the one to bring about Cersei's downfall)

3. Arya (Faceless Men need not fear death; She'll be the first female Lord Commander of the KingsGuard)

4. Bran (Most powerful character in the series)

5. Edric Storm (Heir to Storm's End)

6. Davos (The man's a survivor and will mentor young Edric when Stannis fades into obscurity after saving the Wall, and world)

7. Jon Snow (PWWP will bring Glory back to the Night's Watch)

8. Asha Greyjoy (take her seat on the seastone Chair)

9. Arianne (will learn prudence and patience after some harsh lessons)

10. Samwell Tarly (will stop the faceless Men, save Oldtown, and be the famous Black Maester of the Night's Watch)

I don't understand people saying GRRM doesn't have the courage to kill Tyrion in the last book. Often, authors who will not kill a single main character throughout an entire large series will kill off their best characters in the last book, if only for the added dramatic effect. If I were to make a list of characters I'm fairly sure WILL die, Tyrion would be top 3, for the reasons above mentioned and the way his arc is heading.

Now for the actual survivors list (trying to keep this to major characters only):

1) Sansa Stark

2) Lord Varys

3) Bran Stark

4) Jaime Lannister (perhaps as the sole survivor of the main branch of House Lannister)

5) Davos Seaworth

6) Bronn

7) Arianne Martell

8) Samwell Tarly

9) Theon Greyjoy (unsure on this one)

10) Jorah Mormont (also tenuous)

I may be woefully wrong, of course, but I suspect that precisely the center characters in the story - Jon, Dany, Tyrion - are the ones that, while almost absolutely will not die in the next book, see their chances of survival drop abysmally by the end of the last one. I'll explain why:

Jon has already fallen in similar pitfalls to Ned and Robb. The end of his ADWD arc signals to me that he may await a grim fate like Beric Dondarrion, losing his identity and then ultimately losing the kiss of life to try and save somebody else.

Dany's arc, on the other hand, shows her on the path to becoming a vicious conqueror by TWOW. I suspect either her to get murdered or a heroic sacrifice against the others in the last book as a redeeming action (bit weird, yes, but just a hunch). I only picked Jorah to live so he could have his spirit crushed. He might even kill himself afterward, which would necessitate him being removed from the list.

Tyrion has already sunk low and is just trying to get his revenge on the world (and his family especially). I don't envision this ending well for him.

Arya I'm really unsure about. She might die, she might not. I don't have an opinion on her yet.

1. Sansa Stark - After she escapes Littlefinger's influence (either by killing him or physically escaping him) she'll return to Winterfell and rule in Rickon's name and teach him the Starks' ways. Or she'll pursue a quiet life removed from all of it with some lover of her choosing.

2. Bran Stark - Thematically, the Old Gods' powers are returning. Bran will end his days connected to the weirwood network, but that will happen well after the series is over. So he'll survive the end of the series.

3. Rickon Stark - Will probably be the future Lord of Winterfell. Bran and Sansa will teach him the Stark ways.

4. Arya Stark - Will seemingly die in the seventh book, I think. However, her family will know the truth, but because Arya will chose some life separate from her duties as a daughter of Winterfell, she will be presumed dead by most, and her family will keep her secret. She might go onto do Bloodraven like things; either that or she'll create an unprecedented path for herself to follow.

5. Davos Seaworth - No idea actually. If Stannis dies, and he probably will, he'll find himself involved with the Starks somehow, particularly Rickon.

1. Davos (I can see him being the last POV, a summary of the Game of Thrones through the eyes of a good man of low birth.)

2. Arya (She's the Lone Wolf, the Nite Wolf, the She-Wolf of Winterfell, she has the wolf spirit like Lyanna -- what's the name of the last volume again? A Time for Wolves. 'Nuff said.)

3. Bran (Who's going to find him to kill him?)

4. Sansa (Some one will save her, some one always does.)

5. Arianne Martell (I just don't see her getting in harm's way.)

6. Margaery Tyrell (it's the people around her who die, lol)

7. Areo Hotah (who's going to get past that ax?)

8. Darkstar (just to piss off the fandom)

9. Samwell Tarly (because who cares about Sam, really?)

10. Old Nan (she's a survivor!)

1. Jon Snow

2. Sansa Stark

3. Bran Stark

4. Rickon Stark

5. Asha Greyjoy

6. Arianne Martell

7. Gendry

8. Brienne

9. Jorah Mormont

10. Sam Tarly

I have felt from the beginning that Dany will not sit the Iron Throne, or at least not for any length of time. From the moment Jaime pushed Bran out the window, I have thought the Lannisters were doomed. Because Jamie is my favorite character, I constantly try to imagine endings for him that don't end in death but I can never really make that work. I can only imagine Tyrion surviving if we learn he is not actually a Lannister. Arya Stark feels like doomed character to me, too.

It's easier to pick the ones who will die:

Jaime + Cersei (suicide: came into world together, will leave world together)

Brienne (killed by Jaime in TWoW)

Jon (already dead, will meet up with Ygritte in Otherworld, live happily ever after)

Littlefinger (killed by Others)

Varys (killed by Illyrio)

Dany (killed by Bran)

Theon (killed by Stannis in TWoW)

Barristan (killed by dragonfire)

Arya (killed by nobody)

and obviously, Stannis (killed by Others)

• 2 years later...
10 Survivors? okay, so I'm assuming not only survivors but key people in the end.

10. Davos Seaworth.....something tells me this man will do what's right and end up rewarded in the end.
9. Arya Stark.....this I think she will be more rogue than Lady of Winterfell.
8. Rickon Stark.....in the end, Lord of Winterfell
7. Randyl Tarly....we will learn to love him, and he will learn to appreciate Sam
6. Samwell Tarly....he will be the one who figures out how to stop the Others....and the Dragons.
5. Jaime Lannister....I think he will somehow survive this...in a tragic, sad sort of way.
4. Tommen Borratheon....the lad has quality, and eventually, it will shine through.
3. Brandon Stark....living in the tree roots.....fro a long, long time.
2. Harry the Heir....he will be a major player, I think.
1. Theon Greyjoy.....under the care once more of House Stark.

So if anyone is wondering where at least 1 of Jon Snow, Tyrion or Dany T is, I just have a feeling that Dany T and Tyrion unite with Jon to defeat the others, but that Jon also learns that the Dragons can't exist with man anymore and destroys them, dying in the process.

The "spares" who will carry on their House name-

1.Rickon Stark (He might not end up ruling, but you don't make him the 'spare stark' only to kill him off).

2.Tristan Martell

3.Edric Storm

The 'decent/harmless guys' that deserve to survive-

4.Samwell Tarly

5.Davos Seaworth

6.Hot Pie

Main cast who I think will survive-

7.Sansa Stark

8.Bran Stark

9.Tyrion Lannister

10.Asha Greyjoy

Archived