U.S. Politics 29

The Progressive

Very astute and utterly meaningless. Weiner has the support of his constitutions. He has not violated any laws that we know of. Why are senior Dems calling for him to quit? Is it really because of the pressure from Republicans? Did these Dems swallow Limbaugh talking points like the conservatives obviously have? Or, perhaps, do they believe he actually did stuff that warrants his resignation?

Yeah, let us know when they actually censure him or something substantive, lol.

I love how you continually downplay Weiner's conduct.

I love how you continue to obsess over weiner's penis.

The question I asked is whether Lott should have resigned if he had the support of his conservative Mississippian constituents (which I'd wager he did)? If so, did he not then owe a duty to all Americans to act in a proper manner?

Should he have resigned for agreeing and supporting Strom Thurmond's racist sentiments? Yes.

Does it matter that his constituents support him? No.

Why not? Because as flow would say ....... if they were dumb enough to elect him, then they'll dumb enough to re-elect him, lol.

Did he owe a duty to all Americans to act in a proper manner? Hell yeah, and being racist isn't acting in a proper manner and sure cast serious doubt about his ability to participate in a fair, objective and intelligent manner in the law-making process.

Is being a racist the same as sending naked pictures of oneself to consenting adults? Only if you're a prude who thinks sex is yucky. ;)

Let's talk about Rick Perry, since some people seem to want to throw his hat in the ring for GOP candidate:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/10/241830/top-10-thing-texas-gov-rick-perry/

Just going off the juicy ones, he's pro-executing innocent people, pro-making sodomy illegal, anti-women's rights and loves to lie about the state's budget.

I love it how Perry loudly criticized federal stimulus spending while happily taking it in to help with his state's $27 billion budget deficit.

And advocating for secession .......... that treason! Quickly teabaggers, to the Teamobile!

ETA: Hahaha, Perry thinks that the BP oil spill in the Gulf could be an unpreventable "act of God":

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/05/03/94941/bp-perry-god/

You really can't make this shit up.

Texas Succeeding

those stats are even better today

Holy shit. Number one in overall freedoms! What an indisputable fact! That means so much, because it tells me exactly what they mean by that. Freedom from health insurance? Freedom from that dratted homosexual agenda? Freedom from facts in our textbooks in exchange for conservative ideals?

Not a damn clue what the U-haul reference has to do with anything.

And I am shocked, SHOCKED that a state with high natural resources weathers a recession better than others. Especially in an energy crisis. But that could have nothing to do with their successes.

Oh, and glad to see welfare went down, though that doesn't tell us if welfare NEEDS went down, or just funding.

Holy shit. Number one in overall freedoms! What an indisputable fact! That means so much, because it tells me exactly what they mean by that. Freedom from health insurance? Freedom from that dratted homosexual agenda? Freedom from facts in our textbooks in exchange for conservative ideals?

Not a damn clue what the U-haul reference has to do with anything.

And I am shocked, SHOCKED that a state with high natural resources weathers a recession better than others. Especially in an energy crisis. But that could have nothing to do with their successes.

Oh, and glad to see welfare went down, though that doesn't tell us if welfare NEEDS went down, or just funding.

Actually, the extraction sectors tends to be hit hard by depression (since they're so directly tied into demand from other industries) oil especially, actually. (which is why the price of oil is almost a proxy for the economy's status as a whole)

Actually, the extraction sectors tends to be hit hard by depression (since they're so directly tied into demand from other industries) oil especially, actually. (which is why the price of oil is almost a proxy for the economy's status as a whole)

Yes, but they are also often one of the first to help pull out of problems. And what Texas has going for it in this regard is a diversity of resources. They are not just an oil state, leaving them a one trick pony.

Saying that the people calling for Weiner's resignation are obsessed with his shaft is a straw man argument. He cheated on his wife and lied about it. Ask Governor Sanford and Rep Mark Foley how they feel about it.

I know you libs have....less strict family values when it comes to fidelity in a marriage especially when it comes to your elected representatives. The prevailing thought on the conservative side has always been "If you can lie and cheat on your wife/husband, then you can lie and cheat on the American people." It's an ethics violation.

Saying that the people calling for Weiner's resignation are obsessed with his shaft is a straw man argument. He cheated on his wife and lied about it. Ask Governor Sanford and Rep Mark Foley how they feel about it.

I know you libs have....less strict family values when it comes to fidelity in a marriage especially when it comes to your elected representatives. The prevailing thought on the conservative side has always been "If you can lie and cheat on your wife/husband, then you can lie and cheat on the American people." It's an ethics violation.

Because politicians who don't cheat are totally honest. :rolleyes:

Weiner's shaft so sexy. Me so horny.

Unfortunately, this Is the best argument Pax has made all year.

I don't care about the scandal, but I am loving the headlines. You'd think a man with the last name of 'Weiner' would be more careful.

If someone had made this up as part of a novel, you might think it was ridiculous. "A sex-crazed Rep. Weiner?! Yea right! This author is an immature and unimaginative hack!" :lol:

Rarely do we get to catch a politician in a bold face lie. Generally there is some weasely backdoor way out of their statement.

Politicians lie constantly and if you pay the slightest attention you'd know that. The whole WMD in Iraq thing springs to mind.

Politicians lie constantly and if you pay the slightest attention you'd know that. The whole WMD in Iraq thing springs to mind.

Wow, the last lie you could come up with was 8 years ago? Way to prove my point. Unfortunately, even that statement does not count as a bold face lie, as that assertion was made based on info from various intelligence agencies including Russia. The WMD assertion is an example of cherry picking evidence. But I digress, I do not want to rehash this debate again.

You're setting the bar pretty low here. 'They all lie' is not an acceptable excuse when caught in one. Though I agree that politicians are not to be trusted in general, that is still not a good reason to be dismissive of behavior that we would condemn in any other person.

Personally, I don't give a shit what these people do in thier personal lives if they are effective at thier jobs. I wouldn't care if Weiner got caught sucking one in a broom closet (see what I did there). But it does show piss poor judgement in a public figure, a married one at that, to be 'sexting' and spreading around 'lewd' photos of himself to several different women. Honestly, how can you look at the situation and not think.. wow, what a dumbass? The guy was asking for it, and now he has to reap the consequences in the political arena. No, I don't care and it isn't any of my business... but any American politician worth his salt oughtta know that this behavior was a dumb-shit move politically.

Wow, the last lie you could come up with was 8 years ago? Way to prove my point. Unfortunately, even that statement does not count as a bold face lie, as that assertion was made based on info from various intelligence agencies including Russia. The WMD assertion is an example of cherry picking evidence. But I digress, I do not want to rehash this debate again.

No just the most obvious and one that makes the screaming about this little bit of nothingness seems so pathetic. And really not a bold face lie? How is cherry picking evidence not a lie? I mean most people consider it a lie when climate change deniers cherry pick a data set to show cooling.

I guess we just have different standards of what a lie is.

You're setting the bar pretty low here. 'They all lie' is not an acceptable excuse when caught in one. Though I agree that politicians are not to be trusted in general, that is still not a good reason to be dismissive of behavior that we would condemn in any other person.

Not using it as an excuse just pointing out how stupid it is to freak out about a lie that has no bearing on his job while ignoring lies that got your country into a fucking war.

Not using it as an excuse just pointing out how stupid it is to freak out about a lie that has no bearing on his job while ignoring lies that got your country into a fucking war.

It is stupid. I definitely don't think it should be national news that some guy had been sending dirty text messages to women not his wife and pics where he is absurdly flexing his skinny-ass chest.

But, in this country, the way politics is often a popularity contest, the way many Americans do expect thier elected officials to adhere to a certain standard of behavior, Rep. Weiner should have known better. It doesn't make it right that those are the expectations, but if you play the game you've gotta know the rules. Only have to look back at Clinton to see how crazy Americans can get over this shit. I'm pretty sure Weiner was alive in the Clinton era. He either let his ego get the best of him, thinking he wouldn't get caught, or he's unaware of how technlogy works, or he's a dumbass.

So while I'm certainly not calling for his job or anything, I don't have much sympathy for the guy either. Should have been smarter than that.

Cheating on your wife certainly does not make you any less qualified to be a politician in my opinion. However, it is never acceptable for a politician to lie to the public. Sure, it's pretty much the norm that they do, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable just because it's common.

Ideally, direct lies should always lead to resignation.

Archived