U.S. Politics 29

The Progressive

It is stupid. I definitely don't think it should be national news that some guy had been sending dirty text messages to women not his wife and pics where he is absurdly flexing his skinny-ass chest.

But, in this country, the way politics is often a popularity contest, the way many Americans do expect thier elected officials to adhere to a certain standard of behavior, Rep. Weiner should have known better. It doesn't make it right that those are the expectations, but if you play the game you've gotta know the rules. Only have to look back at Clinton to see how crazy Americans can get over this shit. I'm pretty sure Weiner was alive in the Clinton era. He either let his ego get the best of him, thinking he wouldn't get caught, or he's unaware of how technlogy works, or he's a dumbass.

So while I'm certainly not calling for his job or anything, I don't have much sympathy for the guy either. Should have been smarter than that.

Well his constituents still by and large want him in office so this doesn't seem to breach that standard.

And I don't think many people are smarter than that, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out tons of people did the same thing. It's just that with them getting caught doesn't end up as headline news.

No just the most obvious and one that makes the screaming about this little bit of nothingness seems so pathetic. And really not a bold face lie? How is cherry picking evidence not a lie? I mean most people consider it a lie when climate change deniers cherry pick a data set to show cooling.

I guess we just have different standards of what a lie is.

Probably. Listening to only one side of the evidence is certainly risky, but it hardly rises to the level of a lie. This is what every politician does: making statements based on favorable information/statistics provided to them by their staff. Weiner on the other hand knew that he had cheated on his wife and that he had taken explicit photos of himself when he lied to the media. The difference is night and day.

What a creepy tool taking naked pictures of himself in the Congressional gym.

OMG, there could have been other congressman in that changeroom! They could have seen him naked! Who would have expected that!

Saying that the people calling for Weiner's resignation are obsessed with his shaft is a straw man argument. He cheated on his wife and lied about it. Ask Governor Sanford and Rep Mark Foley how they feel about it.

I know you libs have....less strict family values when it comes to fidelity in a marriage especially when it comes to your elected representatives. The prevailing thought on the conservative side has always been "If you can lie and cheat on your wife/husband, then you can lie and cheat on the American people." It's an ethics violation.

:rofl: :rofl:

Oh man, you can't have written this with a straight face. You can't be THAT clueless.

I'm starting to wonder a bit about the guys saying this is so normal and that everyone does it.

Right before I began with my first law firm, one of the associates was caught masturbating in the library on New Years Eve. Some people in a hotel across the way spotted him and called security.

He was rightfully shitcanned.

Time, place, and other factors establishing context can make the identical action either perfectly normal or indicative of someone pretty fucked up. Those people pretending that difference doesn't exist are either being disingenuous partisan hacks, or have some issues of their own.

It's just a bad idea for someone with severe inadequacy issues having that much control over our lives. His crusading and outspokenness is clearly appealing to his supporters, but it's a manifestation of a desire to get even and settle scores, he's clearly intoxicated by the power. Calling himself superman and talking about wearing a cape and tights to strange young girls on the internet. That is not normal behavior.

His district could do better.

Meanwhile, Andrew Sullivan continues to perpetuate the theory that Trig is not Sarah Palin's child. How does this man still have a job?

Wow, the last lie you could come up with was 8 years ago? Way to prove my point. Unfortunately, even that statement does not count as a bold face lie, as that assertion was made based on info from various intelligence agencies including Russia. The WMD assertion is an example of cherry picking evidence. But I digress, I do not want to rehash this debate again.

How about this:

It was a remark seemingly made for late-night TV comics: Sen. Jon Kyl's claim that abortion is "well over 90% of what Planned Parenthood does."

When the actual figure turned out to be 3%, his office released a statement clarifying that Kyl's figure was "not intended to be a factual statement."

I understand Senator Kyl's confusion. I hear he frequently eats breakfast for dinner and supper for lunch (not intended to be a factual statement)

How about this:

I understand Senator Kyl's confusion. I hear he frequently eats breakfast for dinner and supper for lunch (not intended to be a factual statement)

That's all well and fine but keep this in mind, all he did was state an absolute untruth in a speech leading up to a vote on a bill that would affect many, many people in an attempt to sway people to vote for defunding Planned Parenthood. It's not like he sent a naughty picture over teh interwebz. Let's try to keep things in perspective here.

How about this:

Good luck proving that his statement was anything more than simple ignorance. Look, obviously politician's lie. I am not disputing that. However, there is generally some grain of truth in their statements, some reason to excuse their misstatements, or something. Even Clinton could rely on a funny definition of "sexual relations" to hide some blowjobs and cigar play.

Kyl stupidly spoke hyperbolically and in ignorance. He looks badly for it. But it is the type of public misstatement that is certain to be dexposed, and therefore very likely an honest error.

He's far from the only politician to do that, and they all hate doing it when they eventually discover they were so obviously wrong. It's embarassing and accomplishes nothing.

Kyl stupidly spoke hyperbolically and in ignorance. He looks badly for it. But it is the type of public misstatement that is certain to be dexposed, and therefore very likely an honest error.

He's far from the only politician to do that, and they all hate doing it when they eventually discover they were so obviously wrong. It's embarassing and accomplishes nothing.

Overestimating by 86% is hardly "honest". It is an example of how politicians in the US say whatever the fuck they want with no repercussions. He *absolutely* knew there was no way 90% of PP funds were used for abortions services. There is really no way for him not to know this. He just made up a big ass number that would sound scary to the audience the was aiming these comments to.

No, he didn't "absolutely know" that. He's biased, and lot a lot of biased people, figured the facts supported him. I'll bet he was pretty shocked to find out how far off he was.

Why would someone knowingly make an untrue statement, easily disproved, that makes him her look like an idiot?

Wait, so you are saying that rather then being a liar, he was in fact just supporting policy based on no information whatsoever?

So it's really just a question of what kind of dishonest, lying hack you think he is apparently.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!!HHAHAHHAH!!!

"I dispute that most politicians lie. What's that, immediate proof that a politician purposely lied to get a bill passed? Nuh-uh! He didn't lie. He was honestly misunderstood. That's all. Really. We're supposed to be talking about how Weiner and Democrats are stupid-heads. Stop turning it around on us!"

HAHAH!

Kyl didn't lie, he just made a remark that "was not intended to be a factual statement" according to the press release after the fact.

There's totally a difference between lying and simply saying something nonfactual on purpose.

So while I'm certainly not calling for his job or anything, I don't have much sympathy for the guy either. Should have been smarter than that.

This. This right here. I don't think anyone has defended the idea that Weiner is a dumb ass for doing what he did. It was idiotic, immature, and the guy obviously has issues. No more or less than several politicians or presidential candidates.

Trying to form up a witchhunt to remove him from office because he was a dumb ass is, as FLoW put it (though intending it as a barb towards the opposite side):

"either being disingenuous partisan hacks, or (those people) have some issues of their own."

Does anyone think Mark Sanford will ever be in elected office again? He wasn't removed from office because he was close to the end of his final term as Governor and the 2:52:12 PM. Gov. was an imbicele. This stuff does impact carrers.

Well according to Commodore, he really would have liked to see Sanford run and win the presidency.

Archived