[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] Littlefinger questions

The Unsullied

I've been avidly following the HBO series although I haven't yet read the novels. However, I've been browsing through the Wiki, so I am aware of some future developments.

Right now, I have two questions concerning Littlefinger:

1) In Episode 7, "You Win or You Die," Eddard Stark, who has just spurned Renley's offer of 100 swordsmen (yet another of Ned's tragic mistakes), summons Littlefinger to get the City Watch to support him against Cersei. Littlefinger proposes instead that Ned make peace with the Lannisters and allow Joffry to take the throne. If Joffry proves to be a problem, Littlfinger says, they can denounce him as a bastard at that time.

My question is, was this a legitimate proposal by Littlefinger to Ned, or just a ruse? I'm inclined to think the latter, because it appears that Littlefinger had planned to betray Ned all along. Besides, if Ned had tried to make a deal with Cersei, what leverage would he have had?

I read in the Wiki that it was Littlefinger who had Jon Arryn poisoned, and who then persuaded Lysa Stark to write the letter to Catlyn accusing the Lannisters. Littlefinger then framed Tyrion with the assassination attempt on Bran Stark. What I am puzzled about is how did Littlefinger figure to profit by this scheme? Was it to lure the Starks to their doom and thus put the Lannisters in his debt?

Woah, why on Earth would you read the wiki? You're spoiling the entire series, both the show and the books, for yourself. You've already ruined a big twist at the end of book three...

I don't look at it that way. Even though I know what's going to happen, it's fascinating to watch the story play out. And by knowing, I'm better able to understand.

I enjoy history, too, and I know how that turns out.

The thing that makes Littlefinger extremely dangerous is his long-term planning. It is my belief that Littlefinger always intended Ned to die. However, he wasn't in any hurry; Had Ned followed Littlefinger's plan, then they would have worked together for a few years until Ned outlived his usefulness.

The thing that makes Littlefinger extremely dangerous is his long-term planning. It is my belief that Littlefinger always intended Ned to die. However, he wasn't in any hurry; Had Ned followed Littlefinger's plan, then they would have worked together for a few years until Ned outlived his usefulness.

I disagree, I don't feel like littlefinger plans that far ahead at all. He thrives off of chaos and uncertainty and taking advantage of situations.

To answer the OP, yes, it was a serious offer. LF knows Joffery will be a bad king, and create chaos (ie, allow littlefinger more opportunities to advance) and with Ned going through with his plan, there is a chance Joffery will not be king and be replaced by Stannis, who would not give LF many chances to advance.

And to your second question, the answer is the same. He's thrives off of chaos and tries to sow it wherever he can. LF has weakened all the major houses (except oddly enough, the tyrells it seems) The weaker everyone else is, the easier it is for him to advance. By telling Cat that the blade is tyrion's, he weakens the two strongest houses (starks and lanisters)

I disagree, I don't feel like littlefinger plans that far ahead at all. He thrives off of chaos and uncertainty and taking advantage of situations.

He planned his "hostile takeover" of the Vale years before it happened.

He planned his "hostile takeover" of the Vale years before it happened.

He certainly planned out his acquisition of Sansa - and made her totally dependent with the story she was made to agree to.

Archived