What the heck happend to Jorah Mormont?

Ser Frank Haven

Yes, but there's that whole statue thing on Bear Island of the woman with an axe in one hand and a babe sucking on a teat in the other. The women of Bear Island are fighters, and, strangely, not demonized for it. No one talks shit about the Mormont women the way they talk about that Tarth girl.

It's the question of accepted behaviour. Mormont women fought in the past so any Mormont woman who fights is simply continuing their tradition. It's odd for rest of Westeros but accepted as "strange ways of strange folk". One can look at Dorne for similar behaviour. They have women inherit the throne. Not a practice accepted in other 6 kingdoms but again "strange ways of strange folk". Brianne is different because she comes from lands that have no such tradition and as such is departure from accepted behaviour. It's not "strange ways of strange folk" since her people don't do that. Dornish women go around armed and are acknowledged to be decent fighters, though I'm not sure how widespread that custom is, if it's limited to a certain group and if they are ment to fight in actual battles rather than raid, defend themselves etc.

As for Jorah it might be he'll stick around on the fringes, hoping for redemption. Something along the lines of when he and Selmy infiltrated through the sewers to help attack on city. Good way to do it would be he either fights bravely in battle or saves Dany's live from assassins, is mortally wounded, Dany goes to see him as he is dying, congratulates him on his bravery and forgives him, promising to bury his bones at his home and he dies happy.

It's the question of accepted behaviour. Mormont women fought in the past so any Mormont woman who fights is simply continuing their tradition. It's odd for rest of Westeros but accepted as "strange ways of strange folk". One can look at Dorne for similar behaviour. They have women inherit the throne. Not a practice accepted in other 6 kingdoms but again "strange ways of strange folk". Brianne is different because she comes from lands that have no such tradition and as such is departure from accepted behaviour. It's not "strange ways of strange folk" since her people don't do that. Dornish women go around armed and are acknowledged to be decent fighters, though I'm not sure how widespread that custom is, if it's limited to a certain group and if they are ment to fight in actual battles rather than raid, defend themselves etc.

As for Jorah it might be he'll stick around on the fringes, hoping for redemption. Something along the lines of when he and Selmy infiltrated through the sewers to help attack on city. Good way to do it would be he either fights bravely in battle or saves Dany's live from assassins, is mortally wounded, Dany goes to see him as he is dying, congratulates him on his bravery and forgives him, promising to bury his bones at his home and he dies happy.

One thing and one thing alone defined Ser Jorah and that was not chivalry; it was practicality. Dany said she will slice his head off if she sees him again which rules out the idea of him staying in Dany's sphere of influence or in a place she may take over in the near future. He knows he will eventually see Dany again if she returns to Westeros. My guess? He will end up in on The Wall or Pentos or some other place he can't be charged with slaving or sent to the grave by Dany. Those dangerous suicide missions he did after Ser Barristan rated him out he did with the expectation of a pardon from Dany. He is devoted to her but does not want to lose his head.

Wow, seriously? I hope not, I absolutely loathe the tv Osha, worst casting choice ever.

Tough, fierce, proud Osha and Teena portrays her like like some skulking, halfwit neanderthal woman. What is this supposed to mean, all that hanging about and directing sly glances upwards through scraggly, greasy hair? Seems to me like Teena was desperate for a chance to show off all her brilliant "ACTINGGGG!!!!" skills and hasn´t got the slightest idea of what Osha´s character is. Maybe she hasn´t bothered to read the book either, just like Lena Headey. German actress katy karrenbauer would have been fantastic for this role...

I thought she did rather well, despite varying from my mental picture.

Also, while it's ideal for the actors to read the books, it's not necessary. The actress playing Arya hasn't read the books (for obvious reasons) and she's doing pretty damn well.

I thought she did rather well, despite varying from my mental picture.

Also, while it's ideal for the actors to read the books, it's not necessary. The actress playing Arya hasn't read the books (for obvious reasons) and she's doing pretty damn well.

for obvious reasons? if you're in the show, you're mature enough to watch it (and by extension read the books).

for obvious reasons? if you're in the show, you're mature enough to watch it (and by extension read the books).

Well, in an interview, she seemed to disagree, saying that the content was too mature and she was a little too young for that heavy reading.

Are the Bran and Rickon actors mature enough to watch the sex scenes?

Well, in an interview, she seemed to disagree, saying that the content was too mature and she was a little too young for that heavy reading.

Are the Bran and Rickon actors mature enough to watch the sex scenes?

Although she did say she watch the show, if she can watch the show there's nothing worst in the books, plus I can imagine all her friends would be watching the show too

About Jorah Mormont I have no idea what his up to but I can only hope it will be revealed in ADWD because I don't think I can wait another 10 years to know

I don't agree. Think about how massively watered-down the show is from the books. Gang-rape turns into women being thrown about by unruly Dothraki. Gregor smashing baby Aegon's face against the wall while Lorch rapes and stabs a little girl to death turn into the children being slaughtered in their beds. I guarantee you we won't see Gregor crushing a baby's head with a mace, or even the reason we call her Harma Dogshead. The show is dark, and violent, yes, but not nearly on a level with the books.

I don't agree. Think about how massively watered-down the show is from the books. Gang-rape turns into women being thrown about by unruly Dothraki. Gregor smashing baby Aegon's face against the wall while Lorch rapes and stabs a little girl to death turn into the children being slaughtered in their beds. I guarantee you we won't see Gregor crushing a baby's head with a mace, or even the reason we call her Harma Dogshead. The show is dark, and violent, yes, but not nearly on a level with the books.

Yah but I'll rather let my child read the book than receive whore training lessons from Littlefinger

The actors aren't being hired to reproduce the books, they're being hired to reproduce the script they're given. I don't see the need for them to read the books, as the show should stand on its own.

Agree with this heartily. Reading the books could even confuse an actor how to play the role. Having read two different (but very similar) versions of a character could lead to some subconscious differences from what the show intends.

The show is not supposed to duplicate the books, it's a whole different animal with massive similarities. The deeper we get into the show, the more it will diverge from the books. Especially if they get as far as aFfC. No chance there's a season without Danaerys/Tyrion/Jon.

One thing and one thing alone defined Ser Jorah and that was not chivalry; it was practicality. Dany said she will slice his head off if she sees him again which rules out the idea of him staying in Dany's sphere of influence or in a place she may take over in the near future. He knows he will eventually see Dany again if she returns to Westeros. My guess? He will end up in on The Wall or Pentos or some other place he can't be charged with slaving or sent to the grave by Dany. Those dangerous suicide missions he did after Ser Barristan rated him out he did with the expectation of a pardon from Dany. He is devoted to her but does not want to lose his head.

Jorah is practical in all matters except romantic affairs. Think about Lynesse. He beggared his house, selling everything he owned (except Longclaw, good on him for that), stealing, slaving, becoming a sellsword, everything just to please the woman he loved. It's the opposite of practical.

If there's one reason that Jorah would be impractical now, it would be an attempt to return to Dany. The situtation you replied to was a bit melodramatic for my tastes, but I could see it. Jorah is also good at lying to himself to avoid personal responsibility - I see him truly believing that Dany should take him back, and doing whatever he can to make that happen. I could see him going even darker, and thinking "if only Barristan hadn't poisoned her against me, she'd be mine" and trying to do something like kill Barristan.

On the other hand he could certainly have a change of heart, and just move on as you say.

Jorah is practical in all matters except romantic affairs. Think about Lynesse. He beggared his house, selling everything he owned (except Longclaw, good on him for that), stealing, slaving, becoming a sellsword, everything just to please the woman he loved. It's the opposite of practical.

If there's one reason that Jorah would be impractical now, it would be an attempt to return to Dany. The situtation you replied to was a bit melodramatic for my tastes, but I could see it. Jorah is also good at lying to himself to avoid personal responsibility - I see him truly believing that Dany should take him back, and doing whatever he can to make that happen. I could see him going even darker, and thinking "if only Barristan hadn't poisoned her against me, she'd be mine" and trying to do something like kill Barristan.

On the other hand he could certainly have a change of heart, and just move on as you say.

Agreed.

Personally I think he'll go dark, and be yet another knife in Dany's gut. 'Look what I brought him to' etc. just before she has him executed.

I can't fathom him having just wandered off into the sunset. He's still in the city, I'm certain, working for or against her and Barristan, who no doubt holds a special place of hatred in Mormont's heart now.

That's a lot of bodies.

He's got a lot of love; and appears to be literate.

I wonder what he was thinking when he told Dany the story that went something like, "I fell for a young beautiful woman who was from a different kind of world. Everything seemed good at first, but it caused me to do some stupid stuff and proved to be my downfall." Was he thinking "Glad I've learned so well" or "Wait a minute..." or maybe "Ooooh, I'm gonna get some!"

He's got a lot of love; and appears to be literate.

I wonder what he was thinking when he told Dany the story that went something like, "I fell for a young beautiful woman who was from a different kind of world. Everything seemed good at first, but it caused me to do some stupid stuff and proved to be my downfall." Was he thinking "Glad I've learned so well" or "Wait a minute..." or maybe "Ooooh, I'm gonna get some!"

I would guess "Wait a minute... but I can't help myself!"

Still Dany is quite different from Lynesse who is defined by materialism and hedonism. Dany on the other hand is notably hardy and adaptable. If Jorah convinced himself that Lynesse's greed was "the problem" I could see him convincing himself that it will be completely different this time around.

Archived