[BOOK/TVSPOILERS] Stannis as the new Ned

Toe

An amazing number of comments in other places have indicated disgust and repulsion with Ned being gone. Too many children, no honorable adults, no adult love story...:thumbsdown:

This has caused me to consider if Stannis could not take his role. :rolleyes:

1. A big name actor could be hired for the role. :smoking: (The money for battle scenes in season 2 could be reallocated to pay for his fee.)

2. He is doing pretty heroic and apparently good things: fighting the evil Ned-killing Lannisters, he is the only king being concerned about the Others, and he saves the NW. :thumbsup:

3. Some changes in his personality have to be made in order to be more heroic. But staying true to characters have not been a major concern for the TV series. So no more teeth gnashing. Skip the human sacrifices. More noble posing and statements. B)

4. Have to change some other actors also. Davos should become a villain attempting to lead to the good king Stannis from the right path. :ninja: Renly has to become more effeminate and clearly unsuitable as a ruler.

5. Make Selyse and Stannis hotter so we can have a hot love triangle between Stannis, Selyse, and Mel. :love: :whip:

Do you really think that people want another good hero who loses everything (except his life, in this case) by the season's end? Who would come back for the Season 3 if it ever gets made?

We need D&D to be creative and not follow blindly defective Martin's material.

I propose they cast Sean Bean as Stannis, who should be Ned's twin brother with exactly the same personality. D&D should use some magick explanation how a Baratheon and a Stark could be twins, and equal in personality and looks. Problem solved.

Davos is the new Ned. He fills the niche of stubbornly honorable quite nicely.

He won't be a big-name actor, but those despairing in the cesspool of moral ambiguity and depravity will cling to him like... well, like he clings to that rock at the beginning of A Storm of Swords :D.

Make Davos a villain? Are you crazy? Davos is one of the most heroic characters in the books, and illustrates Martin's point about how those of high birth are not necessarily more noble than those of low birth. A former smuggler is one of the truest Knights in the story.

I get annoyed at people belittling the Onion Knight all the time, often dismissing him as a character in total, and saying he's just a plot device to tell us about Stannis, he's not a plot device, he's important in his own right.

If they want to make Stannis more heroic, then they should make Melisandre more evil, more overt in her temptations of him. Mel and Davos are the angel and the devil on his shoulders.

I don't think there's a need to change the story. I do think Stannis or Davos could help step in on the marketing end, and it will help to fill the void of people who came into the show loving the "Sopranos" aspect and not overly eager to watch a "coming of age" story. I get it. They are done to death, and on the reading side, I dodge those as well. After reading some really great ones, there's not a lot to offer a mediocre telling.

So I think from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to assure some people that "Robert and Ned and so and so are gone, but we're adding three new adult characters of major significance (Stannis, Davos, Melisandre)."

However, more accurately for aCoK, the story shifts mostly to Tyrion. And he's a great character and a great actor. Factor in that his dominant plotline is around Cersei (underutilized), Littlefinger and Varys (ditto), and there's a lot to promote for the adult set.

I could see Stannis being a decently big name and Tyrion being elevated in the marketing.

Gethin Anthony (Renly) will provide the bulk of the promotion for Season 2. I can just imagine the promos, Renly in fabulous green armour surrounded by his rainbow guard, Loras, kneeling and suggestivly looking at his crotch, Brienne shown from neck down towering above him with the text

"They Killed Mah Nigga Ned!" in large font with "Clash of Kings - HBO Spring 2012" under it.

Or alternately they will have 5 posters, each with each of the kings Joffrey with Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion, Sandor and Tywin, Stannis with Melisandre, Davos, Patchface, Salador Saan and Shireen, Renly with Loras, Brienne. QoT and Mace, Balon with Theon, Aeron, Victarion and Asha and Robb with the Greatjohn, Greywind, Catelyn, Blackfish and Roose Bolton.

Davos is the new Ned.

And a better one too. Davos is humble and less judgemental. Ned would never be Sallador Saan's friend.

But I thought Roz was going to be the new Ned, wasn't she? (Sorry, somebody had to say that.)

I'd be okay with making Stannis more heroic, but making Davos a villain scores a big no with me. If anything I'd rather see Davos's nobility played up, making him a more central hero, emphasizing him trying to nudge Stannis towards the right decisions, away from Mel.

Archived