[BOOK SPOILERS] Shae and her parents

cat catching

The idea of Shae as a sand snake is interesting, but then everyone from Dorne would have to have a German accent too :)

If she's from one of the free cities, it's possible for her not to be lowborn, as Westeros considers the term. Westeros is basically lords of various tiers then the lowborn subjects from what we've seen. The free cities have ruling classes, but the structure there seems like it could have more of a merchant middle class than we've seen in Westeros. Maybe that's what they're targeting for Shae.

Didn't Oberyn spend time in the free cities as a mercenary? I doubt he only made Sand Snakes in Westeros.

Agreed.

I can't help rolling my eyes when I read here and elsewhere that TV Shae is "totally different!!!11!!!!" from the book version. Oh, please. There's absolutely nothing we've heard or seen that contradicts the books, because we learned almost nothing about her background despite the many, many pages spent on her. (Even the television version's "foreign" accent can be argued as a case of omission in Tyrion's POV, rather than us being told that she spoke with a clear Riverlands accent, or something.) It's entirely possible that the two Shaes will more clearly diverge at some point, but it certainly hasn't happened yet.

Wasn't there scene in ACOK where Shae was getting the hump about potentially working in the kitchens. She tells Tyrion that her Father made her scour pots and pans, and that's why she ran away. Tyrion responded by saying she originally told him that her Dad made her his whore and that's why she ran away. She retorted to that, that she didn't like his cock anymore than scouring pots and pans.

I agree with Tadco26 about this. A Westerosi whore wouldn't dare to be so uppity. She'd be raped and whipped at the very least.

My personal impression was that HBO-Shae was supposed to be Tysha (Tyrion's wife) in disguise or possibly her daughter.

how can she be her daughter? tysha got deflowered by tyrion like 8-9 years ago.

The idea of Shae as a sand snake is interesting, but then everyone from Dorne would have to have a German accent too :)

It wasn't a German accent. I teach English in Germany and I hear English spoken with a German accent every day. That was not it. ;)

I'd need to watch it again to find out what her accent sounded like... I thought it was more southern. Definitely a trilled "r" in there. We Germans don't do those.

Yes, I wasn't sure about the timeline. I still think she's supposed to be Tysha come back after living in exile.

Tyrion really wouldn't recognize Tysha? I find that a bit of a stretch considering how much he's supposed to have obsessed about her over the years. Unless Tysha took a course in Faceless Men training, I'd say it'd strain credibility more than any of the other possibilities (not that Tysha learning to be a Faceless in of itself is a bit unlikely. ;) ).

The Sand Snake theory is interesting, but I don't think the TV producers would be thinking of them yet. Also her being Oberyn's kid would complicate things for them later. But that is an interesting notion.

On the other hand, if they go down the road of Shae becoming less obviously smart-mouthed against him, and appearing to fall in love with him for himself... well, I think a lot of (non-book) viewers may be sucked in by it, just as Tyrion would be. "She was so cold at the start, she must mean it!"

In fact, it would probably be actually showing what that big LF monologue was all about, how people know that maybe they shouldn't trust you, but you make it so that they can't help themselves, and so on.

Yes that's true. Her going from stanoffish to more "caring" and fond of Tyrion might actually fool Tyrion, causing the betrayal to be more painful, and represent a darker turn for his character. Whereas in the book Tyrion caring about her seems somewhat naive. Which even Tyrion realizes, but can't help himself.

The change in her demeanor to him in that sense is better - except for the fact that it's completely illogical, as a whore who behaves as rudely as she does wouldn't be a whore for long. And would endanger herself considering the company she keeps.

I'm also concerned that her character will bully Tyrion and be the boss of the relationship in season 2. Which just isn't the way it should be. Tyrion shouldn't be getting bossed around by anybody but Tywin.

• 2 months later...

Archived