Longest rivers of Westeros

Scythian

So, I decided to do some scientific work and measure the length of largest Westeros rivers.

I used the known length of the Wall, canon map and measured the lengths in GIMP with the step of 100 pixels. Then I applied the coefficient of curvature (30%) which I figured out using the real map of Volga.

Of course, the results are by no means accurate and the margin of error could be up to 50-60 miles but it still may be of interest.

1) The Mander – 1005 miles

2) The Trident (with the Green Fork) – 897 miles

3) The Trident (with the Red Fork) - 882 miles

4) The White Knife – 720 miles

5) The Last River - 599 miles

6) The Blackwater – 581 miles

7) The Green Blood* – 564 miles

*I find it extremely unlikely that a river can start in the desert. Most probably The Green Blood starts in the Red Mountains so it should be at least 60-70 per cent longer.

So, I decided to do some scientific work and measure the length of largest Westeros rivers.

I used the known length of the Wall, canon map and measured the lengths in GIMP with the step of 100 pixels. Then I applied the coefficient of curvature (30%) which I figured out using the real map of Volga.

Of course, the results are by no means accurate and the margin of error could be up to 50-60 miles but it still may be of interest.

1) The Mander – 1005 miles

2) The Trident (with the Green Fork) – 897 miles

3) The Trident (with the Red Fork) - 882 miles

4) The White Knife – 720 miles

5) The Last River - 599 miles

6) The Blackwater – 581 miles

7) The Green Blood* – 564 miles

*I find it extremely unlikely that a river can start in the desert. Most probably The Green Blood starts in the Red Mountains so it should be at least 60-70 per cent longer.

Cool, thanks for your research!

I've always wondered why trade dosen't flourish to the extent it always has up and down rivers in RL. In fact the river that sees the most economic activity seems to be the smallest of the great rivers, the Green Blood via Arianne's description. Now I know GRRM dosen't have to be interested in supply chains and the like to the extent I am, but it seems odd to me that the rivers are described more as boundaries than opportunities and that more cities and towns are not found at the banks, such as the Mander (which should have port towns along the river and especially at the mouth to export produce), the Last River and the river that enters the sea at Starfall.

• 1 month later...

I'd be interested to see how this methodology works when you apply it to the Rhoyne on the Free Cities map from ADWD. I'm pretty sure the Rhoyne is getting on for twice the length of the Mander, maybe more.

Archived