[BOOK SPOILERS] Drogo v. Drogo

Mad Queen

I think one problem the tv series will have is that Danys storyline in season 2 kind of sucks if you look at it as a self-contained arc.

Season 2 for Dany will not suck at all. Why? The House of the Undying. Hands down the coolest scene in the book in terms of weirdness. Also, visually, her arc becomes intense with Quarth.

I think one problem the tv series will have is that Danys storyline in season 2 kind of sucks if you look at it as a self-contained arc.

I think he means there's not real a clear progressive "arc" for the story to take. She walks through the desert, then hangs around Qarth not doing much of anything for 2 chapters, then goes to the House of the Undying, and finally Barristan Arstan shows up and they all get on the boats. It's just not as compelling a story as in S1 where it's clearly a build from "weak and helpless" to "exponential badass".

My theory is that - especially due to his unexpected popularity - the show runners will play up the Dany/Jorah "romance" arc by bringing in material from S3. In the first episode, Dany will hear the tale of Lynesse, and realize Jorah has feelings for her (and she will not be sure how she feels about that). And her last scene of the season will be Jorah's kiss on the boat, which actually occurs in her first chapter of aSoS. Importantly even in the book, Dany does not immediately reject him at this time so would make a good cliffhanger. So, that's an interesting, cohesive plot arc that should keep the viewers involved.

I am curious if they are going to hide the fact that Arstan is Baristan? when I discovered that in the books it was a pleasant surprise to me who was not execpeting that in my first read through. Obviously they need the same actor which might give some things away, but hopefully they can keep a bit of the surprise there.

Anyways, for dany's chapters, I agree that bringing in stuff from book 3 might help a bit. Plus it would also make the decision when she decides to get banish of Jorah later on much more important i would wager.

I am curious if they are going to hide the fact that Arstan is Baristan? when I discovered that in the books it was a pleasant surprise to me who was not execpeting that in my first read through. Obviously they need the same actor which might give some things away, but hopefully they can keep a bit of the surprise there.

Won't work if they try to "hide" Ser Barristan. It'll work best if they make it obvious for the viewer to they feel privileged to know who it is over Dany and Jorah.

Cannot wait for some Strong Belwas action. Possibly my favourite "Eastern" character. :fencing:

MMD is a heroine. She killed the Stallion who Mounts the World, who was just going to be another Dothraki Khal who does to the whole world what they already did to the Lamb Men. I say bravo to that.

Also, I expect the entire house of the undying to cut, just like they cut Bran's 3EC dream. Visions are almost impossible to do well on TV. They might have someone who say some prophesies to her that contain some of the words from that chapter, but that will be the extent of it.

Won't work if they try to "hide" Ser Barristan. It'll work best if they make it obvious for the viewer to they feel privileged to know who it is over Dany and Jorah.

I've always felt that they made Barristan notably clean shaven in the first season so that when he shows up in a beard, a robe, and long hair it won't be totally obvious to casual viewers that he's the same guy. I think they will additionally keep the actor out of the main billing for at least S2.

I bet at least some casual TV viewers won't notice it's the same actor. They won't have seen him for 10-11 episodes by the time he shows up.

MMD is a heroine. She killed the Stallion who Mounts the World, who was just going to be another Dothraki Khal who does to the whole world what they already did to the Lamb Men. I say bravo to that.

Also, I expect the entire house of the undying to cut, just like they cut Bran's 3EC dream. Visions are almost impossible to do well on TV. They might have someone who say some prophesies to her that contain some of the words from that chapter, but that will be the extent of it.

Agree about MMD, I think she did the right thing, even if Dany did save her.

The Three Eyed Crow actually has appeared in the show, though in a much briefer form than in the book (it doesn't speak to Bran at all). It's certainly possible that they will cut Dany and the house of the undying, but I don't think they will simply for the fact that it's one of the major things she does in ACOK. Her storyline in the second book from what I remember is a lot shorter than in the first and third, and the house of the undying is probably her highlight. I'm sure it will be significantly condensed, and if they decide to move her storyline past book 2 I could see them cutting it also. Definitely agree that visions are harder to do on tv, and can sometimes just sound really corny, but I hope they can pull it off.

Dany's visions as she looks into the different doors would be really easy to do, just use a blue screen behind the door and film whatever and plop it on the blue screen. Her meeting with the Undying would be a different beast...

I personally cant wait for Vaes Tolorro. I've always been fascinated by ruins in books and tv/movies. My favorite scenes in LotR were Parth Galen and Osgiliath.

Dany's visions as she looks into the different doors would be really easy to do, just use a blue screen behind the door and film whatever and plop it on the blue screen. Her meeting with the Undying would be a different beast...

The meeting with the Undying should be fine. They may change it a bit. After all, it's not particularly important that they're clustered around a huge beating heart, etc. It's the feel of it that's important.

The huge blue heart is integral, imo. That shows that the Undying and their followers are all interconnected through this one mysterious device. When Dany's dragon sets the place aflame, she escapes and sees Pyat Pree gone insane (dancing like a retard, IIRC). That shows that there is some connection between the sorcerers...

MMD is no heroine. She had the moral right to avenge her people's suffering on Drogo; but killing an unborn child who had not done anything to her? Prophecy or no prophecy, it's wrong. Also, the unborn child was also Dany's, and Dany had saved her life; MMD owed Dany a debt and repaid her with half-truths and deception and the death of Dany's child....

Yeah, the enthusiastic response to tv!Drogo caught me a bit off guard too, though I guess that, like others have said, he's just the kind of character who works better on screen. I suppose it's also because in the books Dany is clearly the protagonist of her own story, and all the other characters are essentially her satellites (I, too, am happy of what the show has done with Rhakaro, Irri and Doreah - wow, they even have a personality now! ;)). In the tv version... well, she is still quite clearly the main character of her storyline, but I think some of the strict Dany-centrism is lost, for better or worse. So perhaps it's easier for the tv viewers to pay more attention to Drogo or Jorah.

ETA: the point with MMD's betrayal of Dany, I think, is that she didn't feel she owed Dany anything, because she had already lost everything she had. Even the death of Dany's child, while cruel, in the end must have seemed a fair bargain to Mirri - who knows how many lhazareen children had just been slaughtered by the dothraki? I guess a lot. Yeah, Dany saved her life, but it seems to me that from MMD's POV it was a big fat case of "too little, too late", I think. It's tragic because Dany was well meaning and didn't deserve that, but the lamb people didn't deserve what they got either. It's a lose/lose situation.

I know multiple people (IRL, not from the popular reviews) that say Drogo is their favorite after Eddard and that the show is basically over for them if both die in season one. Drogo on the screen is much different than in the novels -- it is easy to see why people are rallying behind him after his fireside speech.

I think the book did a better job of suggesting that the attraction Dany had for Drogo was a little odd. Drogo was nice only in that he was nicer than some of the other terrible people around her, but in the book I never sensed that he would've ever cared as much as he ended up doing about Dany if not for the fact that she carried his son, foretold to be the badass stallion who mounts the world. I didn't think the show fleshed him out so much as glossed over some more troubling implications of the storyline. I think they played Dany and Drogo as a more palatable romance (the worst was over early on and you could safely forget about it) and that's the crux of his sympathetic appeal in the show.

Archived