End of the Line for House Targaryen?

Howling North

I don't see a reason why she won't have sex anymore. Don't be cruel to the poor girl.

Readers catch her mooning after inappropriate choices: "ooh, his hair is so blue, and his front tooth is so gold, ummm....", etc... so all the Mary Sues around here get jealous.

I don't see a reason why she won't have sex anymore. Don't be cruel to the poor girl.

Well, there's the prophecy I pointed out, her likely short life (three betrayals for a hopeful queen?), and her current youth. She's a fresh widow, recently went through a stillbirth, and is trying to assert herself as a powerful ruler, all at an age when many girls are very much uneasy/uncomfortable with sex (~15). If I was an adviser to her (or a similarly aged male in the same position) I'd definitely hope she stayed away from sex, because it could severely mess up her judgment at a crucial time (imagine if, say, a certain dreamy blue-lipped pirate had his way with her). I don't think that having her have no more male bedmates for the remainder of the series would be particularly cruel.

I don't think that having her have no more male bedmates for the remainder of the series would be particularly cruel.

I think the prophecy about Dany having "three mounts to ride" means 3 lovers. The first "to bed" I think was Drogo. The second is to "dread" and the 3rd one is to love.

I think we might see Dany kidnapped and raped by the second mount.

And it looks like Jon may be the 3rd mount. After all, there's a sweet-smelling blue flower growing out of a Wall of ice somewhere, ya know?

I'll say it again, I find it preferable that Daenerys and Jon do not have children together, even if they love each other and even if Daenerys is not barren. That is, unless they can somehow establish that incest is not the reason half their family goes insane and, also, that the pureness of their bloodline is needed to control the dragons in some fashion.

There is also this, if they don't marry other people, they will lose their most powerful tool in forging alliances they can count on. Say Daenerys marries Willas Tyrell and Jon marries Arianne Martell. Under those circumstances, if they ever face rebellion to Targaryen rule they can at least be sure to call on 100,000 men when you combine the forces of Highgarden, Winterfell, and Sunspear.

This basically, its a different time compared to Aegon I days, they'll need to somehow reassert civil order i.e win the peace after the dragons win the war, and that will take men and resources that neither of them currently have (or are suited for, as Dany is starting to learn and I'll say no more of that) Alliances will need to be made to strengthen their Houses return to power if they do take the Iron Throne.

Yes, that prophecy is actually why I believe Dany will never sleep with another man. It explicitly says that she will have "one to bed." One. Not two, not three, one. I expect that she and Jon will fall in love, but will be too busy to, y'know, get busy.

Her first marriage was based on passion, her second marriage (relationship) will be based on fear, and third one will be based on love. That doesn't mean that she won't sleep with other men. :smileysex:

And by the way, since we are speculating, does line: "A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly" mean that she will next marry Greyjoy? :shocked:

Yes, that prophecy is actually why I believe Dany will never sleep with another man. It explicitly says that she will have "one to bed." One. Not two, not three, one.

Yeah, you do have a point. I just hear the word "mount" and it seems like a sexual term, lol.

Yes, that prophecy is actually why I believe Dany will never sleep with another man. It explicitly says that she will have "one to bed." One. Not two, not three, one. I expect that she and Jon will fall in love, but will be too busy to, y'know, get busy.

Or it could just be a reference to her becoming barren, the "one to bed" being the only one to impregnate her.

Regarding Jon, what if the war is finished and won against the others and the wall does not exist. the order of the black would no longer need existence and he could be obsolved of his oath as fulfilled and be free to marry.

Eh, I don't think they introduced the Horn of Winter and the prospect of the Wall falling for nothing, but that's just my impression I guess. It'd be a bit anti-climatic for me if they manage to stop the Others at the Wall and the rest of Westeros didn't get to suffer or share the burden of stopping them.

• 11 months later...
Anyway, does anybody want the Targaryens to have the throne? There seems to be a terrible madman in almost every generation in the family (just like the Lannisters, heh), and frequently it happens to be the king. I guess almost nobody in Westeros really wants them back. Prince Doran wants to restore them for vengeance, and Varys for gods-know-why, and basically that is the whole list.

Sorry to intrude, but I find that the Targaryens are 'good'. Sure they have their problems, like incest and few cases of madness, but the other great houses all have problems. It seems the people of Westeros willingly accepted the Targaryens after Maegor the Cruel. In the Hedge Knight, Dunk even praises and reveres the Targaryens, except for few such as Aerion. Plus, The Targaryens did conquer Westeros, but Aegon and his sisters obviously wanted to be integrated into Westerosi culture, otherwise Aegon wouldn't have gone to Oldtown to be anointed as rightful king. The Targaryens really are the rightful kings, even though most of the other great houses have more history in Westeros, none of them were ever able to conquer the whole continent.In fact, House Tully, Tyrell, Baratheon and Greyjoy were put into power by House Targaryen. If the Targaryens really didn't have considerable influence on the people of Westeros, then Robert Baratheon wouldn't have needed to claim the blood of the dragon.

So yeah, that's just my opinion

Archived