[TV SPOILERS] Does anyone here prefer the show to the books?

valacirca

I actually just started my reread of the first book, and something struck me that didn't any other time I've read them - they are a bit cheesy at times. I feel like the show took the best parts of the book and removed the cheese. I still think books trump show, if only because of the nuance they are able to portray. But the show has definitely improved some characters for me and removed some of the stuff I didn't particularly care for. It's met all my expectations and exceeded them in some ways, with only a few minor blips here and there that I'm "meh" on.

So in some ways I do think the show is superior, in others the books. How's that for a cop out answer?

I wouldn't say I prefer the TV show overall to the books... but when it comes to characters whose chapters I slog through, watching them is a lot more compelling than reading about them. I'm thinking mostly Catelyn and Sansa in Book 1. I imagine Theon will be more watchable than his chapters were readable, etc.

I wouldn't say I prefer the TV show overall to the books... but when it comes to characters whose chapters I slog through, watching them is a lot more compelling than reading about them. I'm thinking mostly Catelyn and Sansa in Book 1. I imagine Theon will be more watchable than his chapters were readable, etc.

Agreed. I'm reading the Tyrion chapters again, and I'm falling asleep in some of them (mostly the ones from aCoK). I am totally certain watching Peter Dinklage performing these scenes will not be boring in the least.

OTOH the Daenerys chapters (my faves) are probably slightly better in the books. Particularly early on.

Archived