[Book Spoilers] Davos' Luck (in Season 2)

Bowl o' Brown

I was thinking about the Davos/Stannis is the new Ned debate. I personally favour Davos. Stannis should be more rigid, a commander type. Davos is a proud father, and loyal friend. It's not even a competition in my opinion. Then it dawned on me... Davos might have all his fingers come Season2, and I'm not cool with that. :thumbsdown:

I'm sure there are many good actors who can do Davos justice, but how many of them are missing fingertips? I'm guessing.. not many.

So I ask you this...

How important to the character of Davos (and by extension his relationship with Big Stan) is the fact that he is missing those fingers?

Could you accept a full fingered Davos in the adapted future?

Its one of the things that give a character flavor. It also show his devotion to Stannis and how loyal he is, because he follows someone who maimed him.

I hope they keep it. They could change it to something else. For example, he could keep a bit of his old ship in the pouch and say that Stannis burned his ship for being a smugler and knighted him for his help.

If they are careful of what angle his hand is filmed, they should get away with just having his fingers bent in and applying some simple prostethics most of the time. They may want to show it in more detail for a couple of shots when character building, but it shouldn't be something that poses too many problems. They have already committed to showing the Greatjohn with a few fingers missing.

All they have to do is show the closeup of his hand once, then that is the last we have to see of it. Maybe a gloved CGI shot once more for good measure. Seriously, how many scenes is he in that will require a clear view of his hand?

It's not gonna break it for me, but it doesnt seem to be a challenge to shoot compared to what they have done so far.

He'll just have his hand in a glove most of the time with a few scenes that include special effects (either CG or prosthetics) to establish the lack of tips on fingers. Cheap and effective.

Jimmy Doohan, Scotty in Star Trek, had fingers missing and with the exception of a couple of bloopers, you'd never know. Surely with careful filming, gloves (and these are described in the book) and even just one shot using CGI or prosthetics on screen, the character can be represented well.

Archived