[BOOK SPOILERS] Memorable Lines - Should they be spoken out loud in the series

ferthepoet

I was thinking that some of the most memorable lines in the series belong in inner monologue but I think some should find a way into the TV show by being spoken out loud instead, thinking of next season in particular:

Catelyn "They are the knights of summer and winter is coming" given than her only other truly memorable line was excised from season one I would like this one to make the show, since they've kept Rodrick with her maybe they can have him join her in her visit to Renly's camp and she can say it to him.

Tyrion Don't remember the exact quote but the one about how Stannis is coming with a large army and who knows what dark forces and he is the only think defending King's Landing but the smallfolk still hate him because he is dwarve, can be said out loud to Bronn or Podrick if he is cast (hope so)

Sansa's prayer before the Blackwater battle, some of her few truly sympathetic moment where she pray for Tyrion, Jon, The Hound ect, they could have her say her prayers out loud in an empty sept.

If they get to that point in season 2 I'll like Jamie's line "He won every battle in the field and then lost the war in the bed" to be spoke out loud, maybe to Brienne.

What do you think? any other memorable inner monologue lines you think the show should adapt to be spoke out loud?

Yes, Sansa in particular needs to voice some inner monologue. So much of the richness of her chapters is her silent responses to what she sees and hears.

A candidate would be when Cersei smilingly tells her that she's perfectly permitted to scream and rip her hair out over marrying Tyrion, and Sansa thinks, He is better than the rest of them.

I can imagine her saying, when she submits to Cersei, "He is better than the rest of you."

"She's been fucking Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack, and Moon Boy" is going to have to be said out loud as many times as Jaime thinks it in the book. As is "Joffrey deserved to die". Jaime also has few moments in Feast where he thinks about Rhaeger, Tywin, and even reads to himself from The White Book about Barristan's life as well as others.

"She's been fucking Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack, and Moon Boy" is going to have to be said out loud as many times as Jaime thinks it in the book. As is "Joffrey deserved to die". Jaime also has few moments in Feast where he thinks about Rhaeger, Tywin, and even reads to himself from The White Book about Barristan's life as well as others.

Hope they cast moon boy for next season but doubt it

If they can get the setting right so that the statements flow, yes - they should be included. But if it seems forced to try to get dialogue in, then no. An example is Cat's comment in last nights episode about Robb's sword. It just seemed awkward to make that statement at that point - that's the sort of forcing I am talking about.

Well, at least we already got a solution for all the inner monologue stuff that is unfitting to be actually told to another, normal character: Ros! :pimp:

Every show should have a magical teleporting prostitute with excellent dictation skills. It is known.

Hah, dictation.

If they can get the setting right so that the statements flow, yes - they should be included. But if it seems forced to try to get dialogue in, then no. An example is Cat's comment in last nights episode about Robb's sword. It just seemed awkward to make that statement at that point - that's the sort of forcing I am talking about.

I've seen a few other people mention this line as being somehow unfit... and I am not seeing it. Yes, it is awkward, yes it seems sort of out of context... but from personal experience I can say it is perfectly natural for the first thing out of your mouth, when seeing a loved one who you are simultaneously trying to comfort and share grief with, to be awkward and out of context. So, for me, :thumbsup: on perfectly capturing that moment.

I would love for them to have Arya's line where she repeats what the Tickler said while torturing people, while she kills him. "Is there gold in the village? Are there precious gems? Are there . . .?"

Archived