Falling Skies

Corvinus85

I've just watched a preview for "Falling Skies", the new epic sci-fi series on TNT which oddly enough premiers tonight.

I wonder if it will beat the GOT finale at ratings.

I for one am interested to see it, and I am glad that other networks have started in the last few years to get into the sci-fi and fantasy realm. It's not just the SyFy channel anymore (which its dead to me anyway).

I've just watched a preview for "Falling Skies", the new epic sci-fi series on TNT which oddly enough premiers tonight.

I wonder if it will beat the GOT finale at ratings.

I for one am interested to see it, and I am glad that other networks have started in the last few years to get into the sci-fi and fantasy realm. It's not just the SyFy channel anymore (which its dead to me anyway).

Thank god it's not just the syfy channel we have to rely on for sci-fi! You'd think with the spielberg connection and the "family friendly" approach to the show (well there doesn't appear to be cussing and nudity) then it should trounce the GOT finale (especially with the Bean backlash). Then again I have no idea what the TNT channel is. I'm british so the only thing i know about it is that they were involved in Babylon 5 15 years ago. Is it a subscription channel? If it is, then I guess HBO still has the edge in subscriber number.

I'm looking forward to it as unlike Spielberg's "war of the worlds" this one seems to focus more on the fact that it wasn't so easy to get rid of the invaders.

Thank god it's not just the syfy channel we have to rely on for sci-fi! You'd think with the spielberg connection and the "family friendly" approach to the show (well there doesn't appear to be cussing and nudity) then it should trounce the GOT finale (especially with the Bean backlash). Then again I have no idea what the TNT channel is. I'm british so the only thing i know about it is that they were involved in Babylon 5 15 years ago. Is it a subscription channel? If it is, then I guess HBO still has the edge in subscriber number.

I'm looking forward to it as unlike Spielberg's "war of the worlds" this one seems to focus more on the fact that it wasn't so easy to get rid of the invaders.

TNT is a basic cable channel, so far more people in the US have access to it over HBO. I have no idea how it will do in ratings, but I could easily see it beating Game of Thrones in ratings because so many more people can watch it and it has a huge name liked Spielberg attached to it, and also because during the NBA playoffs TNT ran commercials for it nonstop. It doesn't air at the same time as Game of Thrones though, I think it's on an hour earlier.

I think I might watch the premiere and decide whether to stick with it, from the commercials the show looks kinda boring to me and while I like Spielberg, I really hated War of the Worlds and this looks pretty similar to that.

I'm cautiously intrigued but then I remember that these are the same guys that bought us Babylon 5. Season 5.

Also the plot apparently will deal with the same old "OMG the evil aliens are stealing the children" which has been done before I think.

There's a 95% chance that this show will blow. Nerds love to flock to shows that have great premises but obviously will suck (re: Green Lantern, Xmen: Wolverine, The Green Hornet, shit this list is endless). An audience does not like the unexpected to occur, and Ned losing his head was certainly unexpected, so GoT may take a ratings hit. Proposition: Falling Skies' premiere will be a hit, probably beating GoT's finale.

Then again, who knows? There's no precise formula to this, so I may be pleasantly surprised. I hope I am, Falling Skies - against all odds - turns out to be great, and its numbers and that of GoT are both huge and they live long productive lives.

I have been awaiting this show since I first saw previews for it on TNT a few months ago. I don't care enough about the Transformers movie that's on before it, so I abandoned my plan of leaving TNT on early. Right now, I'm watching baseball till 9 PM.

interesting first episode got into the swing of things alot easier then Walking Dead did. I would assume that we are going to have the obligatory flashback episode later in the season. It would be cool if they wrote a few plot notes first so we know weather or not they have some kind of plan for the show. Benefit of the doubt but this could slide into bad BSG territory real quick.

I just finished watching it, and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't terribly original, but the acting was good (for the most part) as were the sfx. Unfortunately I can see it going cheesy very quickly, if they don't know exactly where the story is headed or if they try and keep it too kid friendly.

I liked it. I found myself caring about the characters and interested in the world-building. While it's somewhat "family friendly" they went right to a post-apocalyptic issue of outlaw rapers. Will defintely watch next week.

Well, seeing as I'm smart enough the set two other shows to record in HD at the same time, I missed it

Good to hear it wasn't a load of crap though. I will catch the first episode before next Sunday.

ok just finished the second hour, was even better than the first, kind of pleasantly surprised so far. Even the weird aliens are kind of interesting- like they will have some back story later, and I like the military vs civilian vs outlaw thing among the humans.

I watched the first two hours and I'll keep the series recording set up to see where the next few episodes go. One thing that really bothers me, though, is how the Noah Wyle faction refers to the alien things as skitters. I mean, I get it, especially how those spider-y ones move, it makes sense. I just can't stop thinking of the Grapes of Wrath use of the word skitters, and I find it very distracting.

Interesting. I didn't realize there were so many flat-chested women during the Dust Bowl. :leaving:

Starvation diets + no breast implants = flat chests. Simple.

Haven't you ever seen pictures of models pre-1980's or so?

Glad to hear there's something else to watch now that GoT is off. I'll give it a look.

I just finished watching it, and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't terribly original, but the acting was good (for the most part) as were the sfx. Unfortunately I can see it going cheesy very quickly, if they don't know exactly where the story is headed or if they try and keep it too kid friendly.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It has flaws and the potential to go downhill quickly, but I'm intrigued and will definitely stick with it for another episode or two.

I liked what I watched in the pilot.

The aliens are neat, and it's nice to see them doing non-forehead aliens for once. That said, the preview for the next episode made me slightly wary with the whole "They look almost human" line. It also makes me wonder if this is going to turn into a Lost-esque maze if it survives.

Most of the characters are cool, although all the "lol history professor" jokes got annoying after a while.

Anyone have any idea what the ratings for it are?

My favorite part was where he left 20 thousand leagues and kept A Tale of Two cities. Hope there are more moments like that.

Could be interesting defiantly don't have a sick feeling in my stomach like when I watched the first episode of the V relaunch.

Archived