Falling Skies

Corvinus85

I watched it during a fit of boredom and i thought i'd hate it. But i didn't. it's a bit like The Walking Dead but almost better.

Maybe when the aliens start turning up near the resistance base and the humans respond by having a BBQ without posting any sentries it will be "the walking dead"s equal?

Yeah, it wasn't bad. I definitely liked how they just dropped us into the story, trusting that the audience has watched enough alien invasion movies before to get the gist. And even though it was all very PG, they did a good job of not shying away from the grimmer parts of the story (like the child soldiers, the sex slave, etc) It has potential. It's not a bad summer show.

I had to roll my eyes at the constant comparisons between the Resistance and the American Revolutionaries, though. But I guess that's a more palatable analogy than the more realistic one of the Viet Cong (because really, that's what the resistance are in this scenario)

Maybe when the aliens start turning up near the resistance base and the humans respond by having a BBQ without posting any sentries it will be "the walking dead"s equal?

Because a company of one hundred soldiers who've been fighting for months, led by a military veteran, getting ambushed by a dozen white supremacist rednecks isn't stupid at all. Or how about the redneck leader leaving the girl his gang kidnapped and raped in charge? :P

I think the comparison with the Walking Dead is pretty fair really. They're both solid, entertaining shows that have some forgiveable silliness every now and then.

I actually liked it more than The Walking Dead. My expectations weren't very high but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping to see as many episodes as I can and hopefully catch up at some point in the future, when things calm down.

The only thing that bugged me was the whole professor behavior, constantly using examples from history.We get it. There is a time and place for everything and he should know by now that his audience isn't interested in historical references.

I hope the history professor gets more to do then spout random historical platitudes.

That's what annoys me. I'd much rather have him actually say something about similarities in process, like how they're guerrillas and so forth.

Or better yet, have him be wrong. I'd love it if he is portrayed as trying to force the conflict against the skitters through his own viewpoint that's heavily colored by his training, which is not a correct way to see it.

Second (third? confused about episode numbering) episode was very solid, IMO. I don't know why the aliens would want to keep Karen alive and let Hal go. Got some backstory on the professor's wife, which is nice because I was wondering where she was. I thought that the drug explanation for the harness was really cool, so it will be interesting to see where that goes.

I really hope it doesn't start sucking.

I just think they need to ease up on the music, period. It has a tendency to make possibly dramatic scenes seem melodramatic.

I liked this episode, although you are left wondering what exactly the aliens are doing with the harnessed kids. It seems like a weird waste to simply have them grab scrap metal.

Speaking of the aliens, I'm also wondering if they've got some psychic mind thing going on, and the skitters are just drones. It might explain whey they don't seem to bother wearing anything resembling armor or carry any weapons on their bodies - aren't they afraid of being shot up by the humans with guns wandering around?

This is fucking awful. It's "V" meets "Flash Forward", taking the trite sci-fi style of the former and mixing it with the over-dramatization of every single Hollywood second it lasts, complete with bullshit usage of music and saccharine moments celebrating the human spirit. This won't last beyond the season.

Its unfortunately the only ScienceFiction game in town right now so I'll watch it anyway. They have the same problem that alot of shows do you can either spend the entire episode in self-analysis or you can go kick Alien Ass. You can't do both.

Yes I'm sure the kids are actually the two legged mechs. I'll try to act shocked when the time comes.

This is fucking awful. It's "V" meets "Flash Forward", taking the trite sci-fi style of the former and mixing it with the over-dramatization of every single Hollywood second it lasts, complete with bullshit usage of music and saccharine moments celebrating the human spirit. This won't last beyond the season.

Agreed. The first hour or so wasn't too horrible. But then the combined ugh of schmaltzy "let's watch Noah Wyle's son ride a skateboard and play baseball" got to me. Then even worse, we met the most ridiculously overracted and poorly written "apocalypse outlaw", who I mostly referred to as "Vin Diesel in a wig."

I get that some folks didn't like The Walking Dead, but you're on crack if you thought this was any better. I felt bad for Noah Wyle and Will Patton. They deserve better.

It did get too sugary. There wasn't enough Tension. The casual walking around in broad daylight, in plain view of any flyover, or anything like that. Don't these aliens have infra-red? Satellite? Typical hollywood. I have to disagree with the "Apocalypse Outlaw." I think it was over-acted enough that it was actually pretty funny, if a bit cliche. The wild, drunken mood swings, and such. However, I don't like where the character path is going. They needed an antihero.../sigh.

I've seen the first two. The Walking dead comparisons are pretty accurate including the pros and cons of that comparison. They keep adding some nice little touches whenever I think the writing is being retarded. My favourite was how they actually acknowledged it was odd that the 6 legged aliens having exo-suits with two legs (something I instantly commented on). It gives me hope they actually know what they are doing in terms of the aliens as we slowly get more info on them.

I thought the rebel leader was the best character in the show, so far, so I'm hoping he joins the gang. The smatterings of civilians vs soldiers is always welcome too although they need to keep in mind the BSG balance in that soldiers are often quite right in these scenarios, rather than making them all out as dicks.

The most unfortunate thing about the show is the name of the aliens. In the north of England "skitters" means "diarhoea" which means I laugh everytime the show refers to them. I particularly liked them saying "no one wants the skitters" which I guess from a roving army is a constant fear.

Do we have to sit through a schmalz-laden "child of innocence" montage every episode? I don't need to be smacked over the head with the fact that "there's still hope - look what they've lost". I'm pretty sure I would have been miffed at the traffic generated while trying to cross the bridge.

I don't know, I am kind of liking the characters, and the weird aliens who's story we are slowly unraveling. Definitely walking dead alienstyle.

Ah well it will be cancelled soon due to ratings anyway.

The only reason walking dead is still kicking is the horror fans are even more starved than the scifi fans.

I don't know, I am kind of liking the characters, and the weird aliens who's story we are slowly unraveling. Definitely walking dead alienstyle.

Ah well it will be cancelled soon due to ratings anyway.

The only reason walking dead is still kicking is the horror fans are even more starved than the scifi fans.

That's a shame with the ratings. Is it more a problem of the channel it's on as much as people thinking it's crap?

Archived