Boltons...

Uhtred Stark

I'm not saying that Rickard should have not being punished, but given what the Karstarks had given to the war effort and could have continued to give, Robb should have been more flexible with his punnishment. Taking a hand off, replace Rickard with his son, a delayed sentance or given Rickard a chance to regain his honor, would have being a better move in terms of winning the rebellion.

But it was established in Bran's chapter at the Wall, with the story of the Rat Cook, that what Rickard did was, in the northern culture, one of the absolute worst things that any man could do, ever. Murdering guests is not the same thing as murdering a random person; it is an unforgivably abhorrent crime. There was no chance to regain his honour, no more than there is for Walder Frey.

The way I see it, Robb was left with little choice other than to execute Lord Karstark. Rickard Karstark has commited an abhorrent crime, so he sohuld be punished, or else Robb would be a pussy for allowing criminals to get away with it. Lord Rickard didn't show any remorse, and didn't plea for mercy, so he couldn't have sent him to the Wall or punish him in some other way. Moreover, if you read Catelyn's chapter with Karstark's execution, it seems clear that Karstark openly defied Robb and mocked him. Karstark left Robb with little choice but to punish him in the harshest manner.

But it was established in Bran's chapter at the Wall, with the story of the Rat Cook, that what Rickard did was, in the northern culture, one of the absolute worst things that any man could do, ever. Murdering guests is not the same thing as murdering a random person; it is an unforgivably abhorrent crime. There was no chance to regain his honour, no more than there is for Walder Frey.

I'd call the Lannister kids, prisoners, not guests. Thankfully the Karstark thing came before the RW because that made me immensely less sympathetic to the high horsed Robb and Catelyn Stark.

Still adore the Wolf in the Night though.

I'd call the Lannister kids, prisoners, not guests. Thankfully the Karstark thing came before the RW because that made me immensely less sympathetic to the high horsed Robb and Catelyn Stark.

Still adore the Wolf in the Night though.

But as Robb points out to Karstark, those prisoners were highborn captives who had been extended Robb's protection and hospitality while they remained prisoners. They were not chained in cells, they were being housed in tower cells.

What if Robb named Lord Bolton his heir?

Losing Kastark support meant that the Boltons are the next powerful family in the north that the Starks could depend on. Robb already knows Lord Bolton's worth (or he thinks he knows) as a bannerman since his successful leadership of half the north's forces.

The man survived Tywin with minimal loses, captured Harrenhall at no cost to his army and has an air of command that most of the other northern lords would follow.

What if Robb named Lord Bolton his heir?

Losing Kastark support meant that the Boltons are the next powerful family in the north that the Starks could depend on. Robb already knows Lord Bolton's worth (or he thinks he knows) as a bannerman since his successful leadership of half the north's forces.

The man survived Tywin with minimal loses, captured Harrenhall at no cost to his army and has an air of command that most of the other northern lords would follow.

It's quite possible and would be awesome.

Archived