Preparing Ourselves for the Worst

Misanthrope

The Worst I can imagine...

-Jon+Dany IF R+L=J. I'm fine with it if they aren't related.

-Jon dies in some silly way. If he must die, let it be in a blaze of glory.

-Walder Frey sees his 100th name day.

-Arya becomes uncontrollable and forgets her family.

Bobbity: Great list! I echo many of your points. The ONE sliver of hope that I have is that before there was "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring" There was "A Time for the Wolves"

Damn it all.. that's the only hope I have left.

Taking into account only that which I think is legitimately foreseeable:

(1) Maggy the Frog's prophecy goes according to plan: Tommen dies, Myrcella is crowned and dies, Daenerys boots the Lannisters from power, then Jaime chokes Cersei to death. I don't so much mind the Daenerys part but everything else would come off as disappointing and predictable in a bad a way.

(3) ADwD ends with a series of cliffhangers like AFfC did followed by a greater than two-year gap before TWoW is published.

This is GRRM so #3 is basically guaranteed!

Realistic worst-case scenarios:

Dany gets kidnapped by Euron, who forces her to marry him and surrender her dragons. Then he spearheads the most brutal war of conquest that Westeros has ever seen.

The FM assign Arya to kill some character that we like (Dany, Jon, who knows). She does and dies in the process or is executed.

Sandor gets over his anger management issues and tracks down Sansa, determined to give up fighting and live a quiet life. But circumstances force him to fight one more battle and he dies.

Brienne dies unappreciated at the hands of Stoneheart.

Thats pretty bad, add that Pete (FM) kills Sam before Sam reveals some great discovery or damning evidence to Jon or any one else.

Worse for Dany its not whether or not she is forced to marry Euron, but that he uses that Valyrian dragon horn to take complete control of her dragons and leave her with nothing again!

Sansa somehow ends up as LF lover or being abused and raped by him with impunity.

Only thing that would make me cry would be Author Existence Failure.

What ever happens in book - that is life, bad things happen to good people, all who are born have to die, which ever way author choose to go can't upset me that much.

(And since I always reed spoilers first there is no chance I could throw book across the room :rolleyes: )

Jon lay in the snow, warily looking about for any foes that might come upon him so badly wounded. He couldn't stand - a wildling arrow had taken him in the leg, the other leg than the one injured at Queenscrown when he fled from Ygritte and the wildling invaders. His first injury had barely healed, and he had lost so much blood from his other recent wounds that even if he could make his feet he would swoon and fall again. Longclaw had been lost in the fighting, but he still had a dagger ready to fend off any attackers as best he could. He knew it would do little good against a white walker or even a wight, but he wouldn't just give up his life.

Something scraped against the ice to his left. He turned to see a small figure, bundled in furs, crawling along the ground. He was dragging himself along with his arms, as if his legs didn't work...

"Bran..." After so long... He knew that was Bran's wolf he saw in the storm at Queenscrown. His brother lived... but had he been hurt in the fighting? "Bran, are you alright?"

Bran looked up at the sound of Jon's voice... looked at him with bright blue eyes in his pale face. He dug twisted black fingers into the snow and dragged himself toward Jon.

"Not you, Bran..." Hot tears welled in Jon's eyes, but they quickly cooled and turned to ice as they ran down his face. The dagger fell from his numb fingers. Bran slowly advanced on him, grabbing his leg and dragging himself up. Then he grasped Jon's cloak and hauled himself over the black ringmail on his chest. Then the cold black hands, small but so strong, closed around Jon's throat...

Might actually get to me to yell "Fuck you" and throw the book across the room, would just be wrong.

Some deal where Arya either having to kill Nymeria or vice versa. that would just suck.

We've endured Ned's execution, the Red Wedding, the Sacking of Wintefell, and many of us have thrown the book across the room. The purpose of this thread is to come up with the absolute most horrid scenarios you can fathom, so when we do read the forthcoming novels we are ready for the worst. I'll give it my most pessimistic stab:

1) Jon and Sam are both assassinated by Faceless men.

2) Bran and his companions slain by the Others.

3) Rickon and Osha hunted down and killed by the Boltons.

4) Sansa is pushed out the moon door in one of Robert's tantrums.

5) Real Arya is killed, Ramsay claims Winterfell through fake Arya, the North bends the knee to Ramsay, Warden of the North.

Coincidentally, some of your most pessimistic suggestions are things that I would very much like to see happen. I'm just sorry Jamie and Joff didn't do a better job getting rid of Bran in the beginning of the series. An assassination of Sam and killing off Rickon can only improve the books. Sansa and Arya can live though.

Worst case scenarios would be to see Jamie, Cersei and Tyrion killed, all of them (possibly also Myrcella and Tommen), followed by the Stark children conquering and ruling the entire Westeros or Jon marrying Dany and restoring the Targs to the throne.

I am fully expecting Bran's human body to die in TWoW. I believe his consciousness will go on as he is a skinchanger, but Bran the Broken was never going to survive this series.

I am expecting Stannis to die in ADwD (at Jon Snow's hand), but I guess we'll see.

The amazing thing is that after Ten-and-a-half YEARS, the release date is less than three weeks away.

There are not as many characters who I have developed the emotional connection too like I did with Robb and Eddard and I have come to accept that anyone can die in Westeros. Everyone is mortal and I am ready to see what happens.

Probably something involving rape, but I don't want to think too much about that.

- Seen from an other POV, Dany turns out to be every bit as crazy as Aerys (yes, Jorah said she looked much more like Rheagar than like Aerys, but he isn't really objective, is he?)

That would be AWESOME. We'd be losing a good character, but it's just too perfect.

Jon lay in the snow, warily looking about for any foes that might come upon him so badly wounded. He couldn't stand - a wildling arrow had taken him in the leg, the other leg than the one injured at Queenscrown when he fled from Ygritte and the wildling invaders. His first injury had barely healed, and he had lost so much blood from his other recent wounds that even if he could make his feet he would swoon and fall again. Longclaw had been lost in the fighting, but he still had a dagger ready to fend off any attackers as best he could. He knew it would do little good against a white walker or even a wight, but he wouldn't just give up his life.

Something scraped against the ice to his left. He turned to see a small figure, bundled in furs, crawling along the ground. He was dragging himself along with his arms, as if his legs didn't work...

"Bran..." After so long... He knew that was Bran's wolf he saw in the storm at Queenscrown. His brother lived... but had he been hurt in the fighting? "Bran, are you alright?"

Bran looked up at the sound of Jon's voice... looked at him with bright blue eyes in his pale face. He dug twisted black fingers into the snow and dragged himself toward Jon.

"Not you, Bran..." Hot tears welled in Jon's eyes, but they quickly cooled and turned to ice as they ran down his face. The dagger fell from his numb fingers. Bran slowly advanced on him, grabbing his leg and dragging himself up. Then he grasped Jon's cloak and hauled himself over the black ringmail on his chest. Then the cold black hands, small but so strong, closed around Jon's throat...

That actually sounds kind of awesome. I guess I'm in the camp that without the "throw the book across the room" moments then I probably wouldn't be as big a fan of the series. Personally, I'd love something to really shake Jon's story. He, for me, is the one I'm not worried about because GRRM, along with Dany, seem to be the characters that have plot armor the most, in that I'm 99% sure they'll make it to the very end (whether they survive the "battle royale" or not at the every end is still up in the air, but both seemed 'destined' to see the endgame). And I don't really like that. No other characters are safe other than those two, so I would actually be pleasantly surprised if either really gets shook up. So if we do need a "throw the book across the room" moment, I sincerely hope it has to do with one of those two. At least the confidence I have that GRRM intends for them to be the "heroes" would weaken a bit and I'd be more than happy about that. If it's just another "Super Jon's Road to the Crown" retread, I'll be sorely disappointed. And that comes from a place of really wanting to be interested in Jon the character, but can't seem to find a reason to because his path seems so...obvious. I'd love to be proven wrong and hopefully GRRM finds a way with ADWD.

That would be AWESOME. We'd be losing a good character, but it's just too perfect.

I agree. As much as I like Dany, I secretly hoped she would turn out to be a Mad Queen. So cool.

Coincidentally, some of your most pessimistic suggestions are things that I would very much like to see happen. I'm just sorry Jamie and Joff didn't do a better job getting rid of Bran in the beginning of the series. An assassination of Sam and killing off Rickon can only improve the books. Sansa and Arya can live though.

Worst case scenarios would be to see Jamie, Cersei and Tyrion killed, all of them (possibly also Myrcella and Tommen), followed by the Stark children conquering and ruling the entire Westeros or Jon marrying Dany and restoring the Targs to the throne.

You, ser, I respect!

In the ADOS epilogue Ned wakes up in his Lower East Side apartment and realizes he either just had a very strange and disturbing dream, or took some really bad acid the night before.

Waking Cercei lying next to him asking what the matter was.

Each of you got a well-deserved +1 from me. Awesome, just awesome.

Arya dying.

Bran getting perma-death.

Not learning what Brienne's word was.

Not seeing the Greatjon kick Bolton's ass.

Stannis dying before Dany invades.

Tyrion dying, unless he is a martyr, a villain, or otherwise gets a badass farewell at the end of the series.

The mutilation of any Stark.

Any POV getting raped, on or offscreen.

Further mutilation of Tyrion or Jaime.

Yeah... there's a lot to worry about.

Archived