Preparing Ourselves for the Worst

Misanthrope

Jon lay in the snow, warily looking about for any foes that might come upon him so badly wounded. He couldn't stand - a wildling arrow had taken him in the leg, the other leg than the one injured at Queenscrown when he fled from Ygritte and the wildling invaders. His first injury had barely healed, and he had lost so much blood from his other recent wounds that even if he could make his feet he would swoon and fall again. Longclaw had been lost in the fighting, but he still had a dagger ready to fend off any attackers as best he could. He knew it would do little good against a white walker or even a wight, but he wouldn't just give up his life.

Something scraped against the ice to his left. He turned to see a small figure, bundled in furs, crawling along the ground. He was dragging himself along with his arms, as if his legs didn't work...

"Bran..." After so long... He knew that was Bran's wolf he saw in the storm at Queenscrown. His brother lived... but had he been hurt in the fighting? "Bran, are you alright?"

Bran looked up at the sound of Jon's voice... looked at him with bright blue eyes in his pale face. He dug twisted black fingers into the snow and dragged himself toward Jon.

"Not you, Bran..." Hot tears welled in Jon's eyes, but they quickly cooled and turned to ice as they ran down his face. The dagger fell from his numb fingers. Bran slowly advanced on him, grabbing his leg and dragging himself up. Then he grasped Jon's cloak and hauled himself over the black ringmail on his chest. Then the cold black hands, small but so strong, closed around Jon's throat...

WOW. . .I'm not sure going Fahrenheit 451 on the books would be a strong enough reaction at that point lol

There are not as many characters who I have developed the emotional connection too like I did with Robb and Eddard and I have come to accept that anyone can die in Westeros. Everyone is mortal and I am ready to see what happens.

I'm clinging to Arya like driftwood in a maelstrom, and it'll probably come back to bite me, but if I don't have a vested interest in at least one character, why bother?

The wosrt thing that could happen in this book is having a main character killed by someone completely new. If Dany dies as a result of say, the machinations of the Tyrells, that would be fine, if Jon dies because of Ser Alliser, that would be fine, but if they end up getting killed or having their lives destroyed by another B-character that we just met and don't give half a fuck about that would ruin the series for me I think.

I'm clinging to Arya like driftwood in a maelstrom, and it'll probably come back to bite me, but if I don't have a vested interest in at least one character, why bother?

Same sentiment here. "Driftwood" indeed...

Honestly, though, given how resourceful she is and the fact that she's completely off the map, I don't think she's in nearly as much danger as any other character. Not only is she in Braavos (=natural fortress, probably even harder to take/conquer than Venice was, and Venice survived the middle ages, Renaissance, and part of the Early Modern era without ewer being conquered or captured) ad far away from the political maelstrom of Westeros- including lords who would see her as a fat ransom or marriage prospect, a la BwB or boltons- but she's commonly thought to be dead, or married to Ramsay. If anything can be learned from the Game of Thrones, it's that being in the limelight tends to lower your life expectancy. Arya's literally no one right now; no one's going to send a FM after her, except possibly the FM themselves.

IF she stays in Braavos, she's probably guaranteed to have a long and reasonably happy life. Given that this is GRRM, something/someone (Jon?) will force her back into the open.

So I may have exaggerated my lack of character investment but i guess what i meant was that after Robb and Eddard died it got to the point where i was prepared for any characters death. Sure any of the Stark children or Jon dying would hurt but it would not have the same impact that those previously mentioned had on me.

Eddard's death taught me anyone can die in this series and then Robb's death taught that seriously man anyone can die in this series again so now i think i've actually learnt the lesson

I am prepared to handled whatever GRRM throws our way, but there are two things that would really bother me: Arya dying and Jon and Dany hooking up romantically. Just no.

Oh and if Brienne did end up hanging. I love her character and would be really sad if she died.

I could stand Jon and Dany hooking up and even being the love of each other's life, but I could not stand them living happily ever after as joint rulers. One of them has to die and the other one has to settle for a politically expedient marriage that isn't a love match. The ending needs to be bittersweet.

I could stand Jon and Dany hooking up and even being the love of each other's life, but I could not stand them living happily ever after as joint rulers. One of them has to die and the other one has to settle for a politically expedient marriage that isn't a love match. The ending needs to be bittersweet.

That doesn't have to happen for the ending to be bittersweet. All that needs to happen is for Jon to be unwilling to break his vow. They could sleep together, he could get her pregnant, but he'd stay on the Wall because: "I swore a vow, love."

That doesn't have to happen for the ending to be bittersweet. All that needs to happen is for Jon to be unwilling to break his vow. They could sleep together, he could get her pregnant, but he'd stay on the Wall because: "I swore a vow, love."

Wouldn't fathering a child break his vow?

No offense, but this kind of ending is beyond cheesy. If they HAVE to hook up, I'd rather it be before he finds out he's Targaryen so there'll be some sort of Shakespearean tragedy that follows after he finds out they're related. Dany probably wouldn't care, but she'll end up a Mad Queen anyways.

Drogo is the love of Dany's life and Ygritte for Jon.

For them to hook up would yes not only be cheesy but disappointing for a series that's been unpredictable since the start. Why should those two fall in love anyway?

She'll end up a Mad Queen anyways.

This would be an amazing ending. I think she has enough decency not to become the kind of queen who tortures and kills innocents for the fun of it, like Aerys or Euron, but I could imagine her retreating into paranoia, killing people she wrongly perceives as a threat and allowing the country to be run by her Hand (Tyrion). It would be very dark--all the other characters watching as she slowly disintegrates and knowing that as soon as she dies they'll have to face another civil war.

Archived