US Politics XXX

Ser Scot A Ellison

Snake, (AP, Shryke, Lev, TP, Tracker),

Okay, lets see if this works out right. Probably not and if that is the case those who know correct the errors.

Say you owe 2000 dollars in taxes.

Under the ACA

No insurance = 2000 + fine

Insurance = 2000 + premiums

Under RyanCare

No insurance = 2000

Insurance = 2000 + premiums - tax incentive.

Is that close to right?

Is anyone disputing that at the end of the day the cumulative effect of the two plans are the same? It's the mechanism used to achieve the same goal that is altered under the Ryan plan. You can call it semantics ten days from Sunday but in Constitutional law semantics matter. For example executing someone after a bench trial and after a jury trial will leave that person just as dead in either case. But one action is considered Constitutional and the other is not.

That said I can point to another major difference between the Ryan plan and the ACA. Ryan was never on record claiming the tax credit in his plan was not a tax.

http://blogs.abcnews...-not-a-tax.html

Pres. Obama's clear statement that the mandate is not a tax makes his Justice Department's claim that it is a tax more difficult for Court's to endorse.

Is anyone disputing that at the end of the day the cumulative effect of the two plans are the same?

Yes. They're not.

It's the mechanism used to achieve the same goal that is altered under the Ryan plan.

No, it's not just the mechanism. The ACA punishes you/taxes you more heavily if you choose not to get insurance. Ryan's plan does not.

First, the status quo. Under the current system, the cost of employee health care benefits provided by your employer is tax free, via a deduction for your employer. That is an incentive for you to get insurance. However, unless your employer pays 100% of your premiums, there still is a cost to you to get that insurance. That's why some people eligible for insurance turn it down. Those are the "voluntarily uninsured", and those are the people against whom the ACA mandate is directed.

Second, the ACA. Under the ACA, that employer deduction still exists. However, the ACA also imposes a direct penalty upon the voluntarily uninsured. That's the mandate, and I completely agree with your point that there is a constitutional difference between a mandate and a tax for which you can receive a compensating credit. However, that is not the only difference functionally between the ACA and Ryan's plan. Because under the ACA, not only do the voluntarily uninsured miss out on the value of the deduction, but they also get an additional penalty. It's that additional penalty that is the mandate.

Third, Ryan's plan. Under his plan, the deduction is eliminated, but it is replaced by a partial tax credit. It is a substitute. The amount of the credit is essentially set to be equal in value to that deduction, though. The only difference between the employer deduction under the current system, and Ryan's replacement of the deduction with a credit, is that the credit can be used by the taxpayer on any health insurance plan, not just an employer sponsored one.

But the amount of the credit is not equal to the full cost of premiums. So it's not "free money", you're not "penalized" for not buying insurance, and people who choose to remain voluntarily uninsured will find their take home pay completely unaffected by Ryan's bill. And, they will still save some money by not buying insurance for themselves.

Incentive-wise, and specifically with respect to the voluntarily uninsured, the Ryan plan is no different from the status quo. Because unlike the ACA, there is no additional tax penalty that applies only to people who remain voluntarily uninsured. So the Ryan Plan does not contain a mandate, or even a different version of the mandate with the same effect. That's simply false, which is why the writer of the initial column is either an idiot, or deliberately mispresentating Ryan's plan.

Jon Stewart lists a few of Fox News's most blatant lies of the last few years

Good stuff as always, and Stewart makes Fox's stubbornness about admitting it's mistakes - let alone it's purposeful outright lies - by pointing out one of his own factually incorrect statements.

Maybe his own factually incorrect statements explain why the most recent survey on viewer knowledge of current events actually found that Glen Beck viewers are more knowledgeable that John Stewart's....

And for the third time, particular Fox shows scored well. Hannity ranked fifth (just ahead of MSNBC’s liberal shows hosted by Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow) and O’Reilly ranked ninth. For the first time, Pew included Glenn Beck in its rankings, and the Fox host finished 12th -- slightly ahead of Stewart’s own Daily Show.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jun/20/jon-stewart/jon-stewart-says-those-who-watch-fox-news-are-most/

I love Polifacts analysis: "Well, alot of polls show they are some of the least informed viewers, but not all of them, so we're going to rate it false".

Also things like: "Hey, they are dumb, but they aren't the dumbest! People who never watch the news are less informed about who controls the House then them!"

Then again, Polifact is kind of a joke alot of the time. These are the people who said Ryan's plan doesn't end Medicare because the completely different program he replaces it with has the same name.

Maybe his own factually incorrect statements explain why the most recent survey on viewer knowledge of current events actually found that Glen Beck viewers are more knowledgeable that John Stewart's....

And for the third time, particular Fox shows scored well. Hannity ranked fifth (just ahead of MSNBC’s liberal shows hosted by Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow) and O’Reilly ranked ninth. For the first time, Pew included Glenn Beck in its rankings, and the Fox host finished 12th -- slightly ahead of Stewart’s own Daily Show.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jun/20/jon-stewart/jon-stewart-says-those-who-watch-fox-news-are-most/

So instead of commenting on your network's propensity for spouting outrageously false lies, you feel the need to turn it into a dick-measuring contest. Very Fox News of you.

Snake, (AP, Shryke, Lev, TP, Tracker),

Is anyone disputing that at the end of the day the cumulative effect of the two plans are the same?

Err, yeah. See below:

Yes. They're not.

Bear in mind that this is the same wingnut who earlier conceded that:

a mandate occurs when people who do not wish to buy insurance are forced/strongly incentived to do so.

Despite how much I try to think otherwise, conservatives still have to remind me on a daily basis how willfully blind, stupid, and ignorant they can get in these threads.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/new-york-fed-refuses-disclose-data-largest-theft-funds-national-history-which-could-be-three

At least $6.6 billion in cash stolen from Iraq rebuilding fund. Iraqi sources claim that $18.7 billion (nearly the entire fund) is missing. The Fed, of course, is refusing to discuss the matter.

A bit of basic math tells me the two plans are different:

Say your forking over 4 grand a year in insurance bills, regardless of the plan (just a number by way of example, people)...

With the ACA - if you have insurance, you are out the four grand. Adios, it is gone.

With the ACA - if you do not have insurance, you are then stuck with forking over extra money to the IRS - again, I'll just pick a number and say $600.

With the other plan - if you have insurance, you get at least some of that money you spent on that insurance *BACK*. Maybe something on the order of *half*, depending on just how the tax credit deal works.

With the other plan - if you don't have the insurance, well, you don't gain the tax credit...but you don't pay a penalty either.

So...with the ACA, no matter if you are insured or not, you end up loosing money, either to the IRS or to the insurance companies.

With the other plan, you get what amounts to a seriously reduced insurance bill if you have insurance or if you do not have insurance you are in a 'break-even' situtation - no real gain, but no real loss, either.

I can only conclude that the detractors of the other plan here are so blinded by ideology they have lost the ability to do basic math that might effect that ideology.

Rolling Stone's Matt Taibbi has a piece on Bachmann. Read it.

This piece rather amazingly manages to be an example of precisely what it ends up warning against.

I'm somebody who can't stand Bachmann and who has contributed to her opponents in the last two elections even though I live in Nebraska. But there are so many over the top unfair comments in this piece that it makes me cringe. Why did he have to say that her lying was "genetic"? That sounds like he's insulting not just her but her entire family -- maybe even all Norwegian-Americans. If someone on the right had written that Weiner's lying was "genetic", people would have accused the comment of being anti-Semitic.

I think Bachmann is scary. But you don't fight her by putting out a piece that ends up implying that there's nothing that those of us who oppose her can do to stop her forward momentum, and by feeding in to her own paranoid delusions.

With the ACA - if you do not have insurance, you are then stuck with forking over extra money to the IRS - again, I'll just pick a number and say $600.

With the other plan - if you don't have the insurance, well, you don't gain the tax credit...but you don't pay a penalty either.

Wrong ......... under Ryan's plan, you'll end up paying more taxes (compared to the penalty under ACA) if you don't have insurance.

"Genetic" was probably the wrong word on his part. I suspect that what he was trying to imply was that she may lie pathologically.

Taibbi's style is pretty abrasive all of the time, but I think the article did give some good insights into where she comes from and what she's done.

It also feeds my own ego by adding to the "Crazy, but not stupid" description I've been using for Bachmann for some time.

I might go for "cunning but stupid". Like Palin really. She's an idiot and liar, but she knows enough to get attention and succeed in politics to some extent anyway.

Archived