Joffrey

Lasair

Probably the most consistent element of reactions to GoT has been, "JOFFREY MUST DIE."

There's disagreement about who gets to do the deed. There's disagreements about the method of killing. Or about the level of humiliation he should suffer. But everyone, EVERYONE wants him dead. And this was even before the finale!

Jack Gleeson deserves accolades for his performance. Just look at the way he slouches on the throne in the finale, or listen to the rotten self-belief of "I'm not asking" in episode 3. Oh, he's deliciously hateable.

Lots of villains are loved. They're sophisticated and have verve, or they have hidden trauma that turns them into a w00bie, or they trip up an arrogant hero, or they're funny, or simply smoulderingly attractive. Or at least viewers hold out hope of redemption for them.

None of that for Joffrey. Even though he's but a teenager. People simply want him dead, dead, DEAD.

Which is rather great.

I think the only character I hated more than Joffrey was Gregor Clegane, and the TV series really hasn't 'fleshed' him out as fully as the book did. Of course, he really comes to the forefront in book 2 when he starts ravaging the riverlands. He makes Joffrey's sadistic antics look like child's play.

As for the HBO Joffrey, he's wonderfully wicked and true to the character in every way. I felt Jack Gleeson has done a really great job so far. It has to be a lot of fun to play such a despicable hateful character haha! He's really nailed Joffrey's petulant entitlement attitude too.

I feel a bit sorry for Jack Gleeson of course, I'm sure he's no Joffrey. Well, I hope. :smug:

I shudder to think if he was. Lindsay Lohan, but evil instead of stupid... :thumbsdown:

I think the only character I hated more than Joffrey was Gregor Clegane, and the TV series really hasn't 'fleshed' him out as fully as the book did. Of course, he really comes to the forefront in book 2 when he starts ravaging the riverlands. He makes Joffrey's sadistic antics look like child's play.

As for the HBO Joffrey, he's wonderfully wicked and true to the character in every way. I felt Jack Gleeson has done a really great job so far. It has to be a lot of fun to play such a despicable hateful character haha! He's really nailed Joffrey's petulant entitlement attitude too.

You copy/pasted from my thoughts. Well said.

I think Jack has given an amazing performance. A lot of focus is given to the other young actors like Maisie, Sophie etc - who are fantastic - but I'd love to see an interview with Jack and get his thoughts on the series and his role. I bet he's having a ball!

TV Joffrey works great in the show. I must say I didn't picture him as so obviously evil rightaway (he isn't very present in AGoT after all), a Draco Malefoy dialed up to eleven, but he is enjoyable to hate. The actor was obviously having a blast.

Archived